Hertz how to proceed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2019
Need advice on how to proceed. Gathering information for my 22 year old son so he can proceed.

1. Reservation made using AAA underage waiver. He joined Hertz frequent rental program. Rental period 8/30-9/2 2019.

2. Car picked up at George Bush airport last night. Rental was for premium car. He went and picked from aisle and inspected car, noted all damages and took pictures (he learned from me exactly what to do). Drove car 15 miles to his home and realized wasn’t driving right- went back ( purpose of rental is for trip to Dallas this weekend). Chose a Kia Soul- aisle had Corollas and similar.

3. Agent apologized. Said he was given the wrong class car and gave him a loaded Impala. Inspected and left . Low pressure light went on during drive home. He called Roadside and the said there would be a car waiting at 9AM at The Woodlands location this morning for him.

4. 9AM arrives at Woodlands and rudely informed they had no car. He had incident number from Roadside. He stepped aside and called Roadside again - lady nastily told him to drive to airport, at this point pressure is 20- was 27 last night. He stated not safe to drive. They told him to put spare on or they could come do for $75. He went back and finally woodlands stated they’d have car.

5. He was given a Buick Encore at 10:30am(1.5 hours after when he was to get one). This is a compact SUV which is different class.

Hertz customer service is closed until Tuesday. He returns car Monday at airport. He feels he should get some compensation for all the issues, car not being ready this morning and different class of car. No emails have been sent, or phone call besides Roadside being called.

At this point how should he proceed. Say something when returning the car? Phone customer service Tuesday? Email customer service Tuesday (then follow steps given moving up chain weekly if no response)? What is reasonable thing to ask? Total rental $130ish.

He will do all the communication, I just wanted to tell him correct procedure you recommended:

Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did they charge him for the upgraded car?

I agree he could ask for a goodwill gesture when he gets back if a future credit for a rental. We have company contacts on top of our pages he can reach out to when he gets home.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 19, 2019
Is the Encore (compact SUV) and upgrade? No they didn’t charge him. I saw the contact list so he should start with regular customer service and slowly move up?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I certainly think it's reasonable for him to ask for some consideration when he returns it. Given that the total was only $130 and he used it for the entire 4 days, it wouldn't be much.

If he writes to their executives I suggest that he limit his points to the following:
  • On August 30 I picked up a premium-class rental from the Woodlands location (insert reservation number here)
  • I then drove home (15 miles) and realized the vehicle wasn’t driving right
  • Immediately, I went back and received a a loaded Impala
  • The low pressure light came on the way home, and by nightfall had dropped to 20-27 lbs.
  • I called Roadside who indicated there would be a car waiting at 9AM the next morning (31st)
  • Upon arrival I was informed that there was no car waiting (I had an incident number from Roadside), and was advised to visit the airport location
  • I stated that I did not think it was safe to drive any farther, given the tire pressure, and was told to put the spare on or they could come and do it for $75
  • Finally Woodlands stated they would have a car, and at 10:30, I was given a Buick Encore, which is a different class than I had reserved
these comprise the essence of his case and will effectively describe your experience

Jun 19, 2019
I certainly think it's reasonable for him to ask for some consideration when he returns it. Given that the total was only $130 and he used it for the entire 4 days, it wouldn't be much.

If he writes to their executives I suggest that he limit his points to the following:
  • On August 30 I picked up a premium-class rental from the Woodlands location (insert reservation number here)
  • The low pressure light came on the way home, and by nightfall had dropped to 20-27 lbs.
  • I called Roadside who indicated there would be a car waiting at 9AM the next morning (31st)
  • Upon arrival I was informed that there was no car waiting (I had an incident number from Roadside), and was advised to visit the airport location
  • I stated that I did not think it was safe to drive any farther, given the tire pressure, and was told to put the spare on or they could come and do it for $75
  • Finally Woodlands stated they would have a car, and at 10:30, I was given a Buick Encore, which is a different class than I had reserved
these comprise the essence of his case and will effectively describe your experience
Thanks

Sep 9, 2018

I just want to say, VoR61, that your summary and breakdown of ALL of our OPs issues are astounding and incredibly helpful! :)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We are indeed lucky to have you, VoR. Just a reminder to all ... keep your narratives as concise as possible. People reading complaint letters need to grasp the whole situation with one read-through. Minnie, your son could ask for a $50 voucher towards a future rental, usable on the national website. That's a fairly high percentage of the total cost, but they really ran him around the maypole and he deserves it.

Jun 19, 2019
Thank you for the great information on what to send. He sent to customer service on Monday, will one week (not counting Monday) and proceed up if no response.

He’s having issues with car dealer getting plates (weird how Texas does). Using information here we gave brief description of issue and left out all the excessive wording.

Reactions: VoR61
Jun 19, 2019
Update: He did not hear back from customer service so two weeks later (he was on a business trip) he sent to the first name on the list. Emailed Sunday, yesterday he received an apology and $50 credit.