Help with United Airlines refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
I am a graduate student who was scheduled to attend a conference in Hawaii from May 8-May 12 that was cancelled due to corona virus. I booked my flights to and from Hawaii on United (May 7 - May 14) back in February and have not cancelled them. When I went to check the status of my flights today I saw that instead of the one stop flight I had originally booked, I am now booked on 4 separate flights to reach Hawaii. On top of that, the 2nd of four flights is scheduled to land at 8 pm on May 7th and the 3rd flight is supposed to take off at 7 am the same day.

Since the conference is cancelled I do not want to take the flights and would like to get a refund instead of credits. I am on a very limited budget so getting the money refunded is the best option for me. The costs of this trip were supposed to be reimbursed to me from a travel award that I am no longer receiving because the conference was cancelled.

What is the best way to go about getting a refund from United? Is my flight considered cancelled if the original flight I booked was cancelled, or does it depend on the new flights they have booked me on? At this point I am only two weeks out from the flight so any advice is greatly appreciated!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you, I will do that first thing tomorrow morning.
You gave us a nice, easy problem to answer, Jess. If the wait times on the phone are onerous, try UA's website to see if you can get this done without an agent. Be super careful, read everything twice.

Apr 23, 2020
I was able to reach an agent very quickly Friday morning, no wait time. After some discussion he agreed to process a refund for my ticket. He said it would take 7 business days but could take up to 21 business days due to the number of refunds they are processing so I'll just have to wait to see when the refund goes through.

Thanks for your help!