Hawaiian Airline Refuses to Reimburse Extra Comfort Seat Purchase due to seat was broke

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 23, 2019
I purchased an Extra Comfort Seat on Hawaiian Airlines for my December 5, 2018 flight HA6 from HNL to LAS (5-6 hour flight) that was not comfortable. Once, the plane took off and I attempted to recline, the seat did not recline. This was a Hawaii to Las Vegas flight (long flight). The flight attendants assisted with trying to get the seat to recline, but it wouldn't . They did not have any additional Extra Comfort seats. I paid $80 for the seat. I was told by the flight attendants I would get a refund. After many emails from Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Affairs Office they want to give me a $40 refund. Stating the flight has commenced and a non-refund policy on Extra Comfort seats.
What's your desired resolution? I would like my $80 refunded. It was not like I was aware the seat did not recline. I do not want eTicket Credit. No guarantee I will fly on Hawaiian Airlines in the next year. I paid for a product that I did not get.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 80

Date of transaction/travel date: 12/05/2019

Case number/reservation number: JAZQFH

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I purchased an Extra Comfort Seat on Hawaiian Airlines for my December 5, 2018 flight HA6 from HNL to LAS (5-6 hour flight) that was not comfortable. Once, the plane took off and I attempted to recline, the seat did not recline. This was a Hawaii to Las Vegas flight (long flight). The flight attendants assisted with trying to get the seat to recline, but it wouldn't . They did not have any additional Extra Comfort seats. I paid $80 for the seat. I was told by the flight attendants I would get a refund. After many emails from Hawaiian Airlines Consumer Affairs Office they want to give me a $40 refund. Stating the flight has commenced and a non-refund policy on Extra Comfort seats.
What's your desired resolution? I would like my $80 refunded. It was not like I was aware the seat did not recline. I do not want eTicket Credit. No guarantee I will fly on Hawaiian Airlines in the next year. I paid for a product that I did not get.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 80

Date of transaction/travel date: 12/05/2019

Case number/reservation number: JAZQFH
Was the seat broken or is it possible that NONE of the seats in the row reclined? There are whole seat rows on planes where no seat reclines. You can look at the seat map on https://www.seatguru.com/ and find the specific type of airplane you were on to see if the seat and row had normally reclining seats.

If the seat was broken, you may have more success asking for an $80 travel voucher rather than a cash refund.

You can reach out to HA : https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hawaiian-airlines/
Use email, do not call. Email the first cust serv contact and move down the list weekly if no/negative response.

You also need to correct your dates "Date of transaction/travel date: 12/05/2019" since it is now September 2019.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019
n

Was the seat broken or is it possible that NONE of the seats in the row reclined? There are whole seat rows on planes where no seat reclines. You can look at the seat map on https://www.seatguru.com/ and find the specific type of airplane you were on to see if the seat and row had normally reclining seats.

If the seat was broken, you may have more success asking for an $80 travel voucher rather than a cash refund.

You can reach out to HA : https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hawaiian-airlines/
Use email, do not call. Email the first cust serv contact and move down the list weekly if no/negative response.

You also need to correct your dates "Date of transaction/travel date: 12/05/2019" since it is now September 2019.
Thank you, yes date was 12/05/2018. Only my seat did not recline. The other seats in the row reclined.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
So technically a reclining seat isn't a benefit of extra comfort (hear me out) and even with the busted seat you got all the stated benefits of extra comfort - like more legroom and early boarding. So Hawaiian only giving you half a refund is from them saying "hey you still got the state benefits". Meanwhile you're saying "my seat was straight back for hours and that sucked".

I think the offer of an actual refund is surprising based on what I've read here regarding seat issues (and airlines in general minus EU261). You likely have a better chance of getting the entire fee back if you accept a voucher for it. But maybe a good letter might sway someone - maybe they'd prefer a long flight in econ with a reclining seat vs comfort sitting straight up.