Full Refund Italy Trip

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 17, 2020
I had a trip planned with Custom Europe to Italy March 8 organized with my school (study abroad as part of a class or to earn professional development hours )Once the Covid-19 virus started spreading our college wisely chose to not to support the trip ( not credit or hours ). I sent Email around Feb 25 that I would not attend the trip due to the virus in addition to our school backing out. We heard from a representative saying everything in Rome was great it was up north and we should still come . I sent a reply no i was not coming and that you can not predict this virus . Delta refunded
( cash ) my entire flight within days. On March 19 I received an email from the travel company saying they would only refund 1740 based on what they could obtain from vendors ..for a trip that I paid 3600 ( minus 500 non refundable deposit ) so 3100 . That is a difference of 1360 . That is a lot of money to lose for a working student. The email was long basically telling the students what we did not do (the blame game) . Then they asked the students to sign a release form basically to release them from liability to obtain the money .I never signed any form stating I would not get a full refund although they sent an email with that Information saying such . I could not find the original that was sent to me stating that.
Do I count my losses and count this as a learning experience ( next time get insurance and make sure it covers virus’s ) you live and learn. Or do I have a chance to obtain the entire amount minus the non refundable deposit ?
Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was the tour canceled by Custom Europe or just by the
school? What were the cancellation policies in your contract?

The supplier most likely had already paid their suppliers for your trip and if they can’t get the money back - they have nothing to give you back. If they canceled the tour- different story.

I would keep following up to see if they are able to obtain any more but you would have needed a Cancel for Any Reason insurance policy you have received any money back. Regular insurance doesn’t cover a pandemic.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Would you be open to receiving a credit for future use? If so, that may be your best bet on getting your full value.

Is Custom Europe based in the US or abroad?

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 17, 2020
Have you contacted your school, since this was something they appeared to have arranged?
Yes the school basically said the refund was handled by Custom Europe but on their part and as a good will gesture they gave us over 1800 in tuition credit which was appreciated . From what I was told most of the students took the money it just seemed so unfair to me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The issue is that the tour company most likely could not get a refund from the entities they contracted with. Refunds are dependent on the contract the school signed and what the cancellation policy was.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This kind of situation is so sad. Travellers need to read contracts and agreements before they sign or agree. Special attention needs to be paid to the cancellation policy of the company to whom you're sending your hard-earned money. While nothing like this corona has ever happened before, other things DO happen with great regularity. When you sign up for travel without knowing what the terms are, you need to be comfortable losing all your money.

Doris, I would start a letter writing campaign to the tour provider requesting a refund or a credit towards a future trip. Be polite and concise. It's possible something will shake loose, we see miracles here all the time.