Expedia / SAS refund issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 30, 2019
Hello all,
Thanks in advance for the responders who take the time to help!

I booked a SAS flight to Italy through Expedia. SAS officially canceled my flight a week before my travel date of 4-Apr. Expedia sent me an airline credit email - with no hint or option of a refund - it wasn't even mentioned that I was eligible for a refund even in the fine print. I called/emailed and waited for hours to be told by SAS that Expedia will have to process my refund since thats how I booked. Expedia says again and again (for weeks on end via email, same response) that they are waiting for a refund code from SAS to process the refund. SAS says (via phone) our policy is posted for all to see and you are eligible for a refund but must go through Expedia.

Its now been an exhausting month of back and forth with same responses, even after mentioning DOT rules, I get the same response from Expedia. Also, though I booked and paid on Expedia.com, my credit card transaction has been processed with a SAS US debit and not by Expedia.

I have finally reached a point where I have reached out to my credit card company to dispute the charge. Is there anything else I can do? Since my flight was cancelled by the Airline, I'd like a refund and not airline credit. Please help, thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you’ve filed a dispute, there isn’t anything else you can do but wait and see how it is resolved. We have company contacts for most airlines here that we would have advised you to try first but once you’ve filed the dispute, you’ll need to wait for it to be completed.

You were leaving from the US, correct?

In the future- book direct. When you use an OTA, this is what happens when you add a third party in the mix.

Reactions: Mel65 and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you’ve filed a dispute, there isn’t anything else you can do but wait and see how it is resolved. We have company contacts for most airlines here that we would have advised you to try first but once you’ve filed the dispute, you’ll need to wait for it to be completed.

You were leaving from the US, correct?

In the future- book direct. When you use an OTA, this is what happens when you add a third party in the mix.
Neil is right, as usual. Once you file a CC dispute, everything comes to a halt as your CC issuer does the investigation. If they don't rule in your favor, please come back to us before taking any other steps.

Mar 30, 2019
Thank you for your replies and apologies that I haven't been able to log back in a few days. The day after I filed, the CC company called said they needed more info since the complaint was incomplete - this gave me a chance to pause and not file the dispute. So as of today, my dispute has not been filed.

I was indeed leaving from the US and will book direct next time! Also Expedia continues to send me canned emails about my airline credit with SAS.

Please do provide me the contacts and next steps and I would be happy to take the advice of the experts before having to file a dispute. Thanks for all your help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Go back to Expedia - you must if you booked through them - and tell them that according to the DOT rules the airline is required to refund you if they cancel the flight and you want a refund.

Jun 24, 2019
Keep in mind the deadline for raising a credit card dispute. i t's in the notice your credit card company sends you once every 6 months or just prints every month on the back of the bill. You will also find it on the credit card company web site, at FTC.Gov and at other government and consumer sites.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Go back to Expedia - you must if you booked through them - and tell them that according to the DOT rules the airline is required to refund you if they cancel the flight and you want a refund.
I would handle it all via email, starting with customer service. Compose a concise summary of the situation and be very appreciative of their time. Your job is to make the reader want to help you. Submit to CS and wait two weeks. If no response, use our Company Contacts to work your way up the corporate ladder, waiting a week between each submission. The keys to success: polite, patient and persistent. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.