Expedia Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 22, 2017
I had booked a flight through Expedia on 8th September 2017 for my journey to India in January. I got the confirmation and the amount also got deducted from my account. Somehow the next day Expedia cancelled my tickets saying that as many customers were booking the flight at the same time my flight was cancelled.

Is this even a valid reason?

The next they told me I'll get my full refund, its been more than a month and I have not yet received any refund till now.

Expedia tells me to contact Alitalia, and Alitalia tells me they need a call from Expedia.

My 1031$ are pending with Expedia with no mistake of mine. And up of all they are now not even responding to my mails.

Can anyone help me in this?

It is not my responsibility to follow up with Alitalia, as I booked my flight through expedia, I want a refund from them. They should follow up with Alitalia and come up with a solution.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Call your credit card company and open a dispute asap. Expedia MUST give you a full refund and Alitalia is in bankruptcy. Do not wait as you are dangerously close to the closing date to file a dispute.

And yes, overbooking is a valid reason for them canceling because they don't have real time access to tickets.

Don't use a third party to book tickets. And stay away from Alitalia, their customer service is Teri me and with the bankruptcy filing now even worse. Always book directly with the airline.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
You say your $1,031 is still showing on your credit card as "pending"? If so your card has not been charged. It can take a few days for "pending" authorizations to drop off. You will not be able to file a dispute with your card if it is not an actual charge. Call your card and ask them what the status of the hold is. They may be able to see more on their end than you can on yours.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Not sure where you were traveling from to get to India but I don't think they are doing long haul flights anymore.

Sep 19, 2015
Not sure where you were traveling from to get to India but I don't think they are doing long haul flights anymore.
I think Alitalia is still flying, and is not being liquidated -- unlike Air Berlin. But I think it would be better for the OP to book on a different airline

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 19, 2015
Sorry, got them confused. So many bankruptcies.[/QUOT
Terrible but true -- I have been watching the Alitalia situation as I may want to take same domestic flights in Italy next year and wonder if there will be a way to do that -- and not fly Ryanair or the other ultra LCC