Expedia & Icelandair flights

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2020
Hello - A flight booked for 4/9 - 4/20 to Stockholm on Icelandair was cancelled by Icelandair. Prior to the cancellation, Expedia repeatedly emailed me asking if I would accept the offered voucher from Icelandair. I did not accept the voucher and called 48 hours before the departure date to request a refund. After 3.5 hours on hold, I was told that an email would be sent to Icelandair requesting a refund. The Expedia agent didn't say I was entitled to a refund, but also didn't disagree when I pointed out that my flight was cancelled by the airline and I was therefore entitled to a refund. I've called several times since to follow-up and Expedia has not heard back from Icelandair. My question is, should I continue to call weekly and check or escalate my enquiries as to the status of my refund? I did purchase travel insurance for this trip, but have not pursued that option yet. Thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don't call weekly. Expedia has to wait for ARC to give them the credit, then they can refund you. It may take weeks - there are millions of travelers in the same boat and they usually work in date order. Please read this story on how long refunds are taking:

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I would bypass Expedia and call Iceland Air directly. This is NOT the normal procedure we recommend but we are finding Expedia is dropping the ball and leaving their customers in a lurch. Personally, I wouldn't wait for Expedia to notify you....just my opinion.

Apr 23, 2020
Thank you, I've been on a long text thread with Expedia this morning - apparently they are on hold with Icelandair, but have been disconnected twice. The agent tells me they cannot refund me unless the airline refunds them, which seems a bit strange given the US DOT policy. I've made it clear in my text messages that I am only willing to accept a refund, not a travel voucher. I don't want to begin the process of filing a claim with Travelguard if it may impact resolving this directly with the airline or Expedia. Thanks for all the information - very helpful!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Expedia is correct - they can't refund you until the airline refunds them. It might take awhile so you need to be patient. Please read the story I linked to in post 2 - it tells you how long refunds are taking.