EXPEDIA /HILTON DEBACLE

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2017
I made a reservation for a January 21 hotel stay at Hilton in San Francisco. When I printed the confirmation it was for January 20? I called Expedia immediately and after a 30 minute hold was told that my reservation was non-cancellable and that the hotel was full for the night i wanted. I called the hotel and after a 20 minute wait I was hung up on. I called back and they said it was an Expedia issue, they did have rooms but they couldn't change Expedia reservations. I recognize there is a rate difference and am glad to pay the difference but feel like I am trapped in the middle between two uncaring and unscrupulous organizations. I can't be only person in the world this has happened to. I have sent an email to all the executives for both Expedia and Hilton. How should I proceed? Am I just out $212? Don't they realize that they will both end up in such horrible reviews and social media postings that my dollars are just peanuts?

rjm715

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should use our company contacts and start at the bottom. They are located on top of the page.

The reason that Expedia may not have had the rooms is that they contracts for a certain number of rooms at a hotel. Once they are sold, they have no more to sell, especially if it's a last minute room request. Which Hilton property and for how many days did you book?

Unfortunately, when you book those non refundable prices - thats exactly what they are.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hilton is behaving as the industry dictates it should. If a room (or airline ticket, etc.) is booked through a TA, in this case Expedia, then the client needs to work with their TA to sort out any problems, not directly with the hotel or airline. This is between you and Expedia at this point so I would focus your energy on them. A well written email to the right person can do wonders.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Expedia is not telling you lies about Hilton's room availability, they only take reservations on the rooms they have been allotted by the hotels. How much time elapsed between the booking and your contacting Expedia? If you contacted them a few minutes after you made the error, they should have cancelled the res on the spot, then contacted you to offer some other hotels for the date you wanted. This is one of the issues with booking through an OTA and prepaying the room. Hotels will generally work with you if you contact them immediately on discovering an error, but an OTA is merely an order-taker with little customer service. My colleagues have given you good guidance; start your letter-writing campaign immediately, as January 20/21 is fast approaching.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
No matter how many hundreds of hotel rooms or airline flights you have booked on the internet, triple-check your details before hitting that button! It is so easy to make an error, fixing it is difficult and often you cannot fix your error at all. Just the other day I found out that I had managed to book a prepaid room in Lexington KY next July. And I am very experienced and very careful. Fortunately, I'm going to need that room unless I get run over by a bus, so I won't be wasting the money, but it's still an annoying error to make.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately the minute you hit "buy" when you choose a non refundable room rate vs. paying a few dollars more for a cancelable one, you have stuck yourself into learning that non refundable is exactly that. It doesn't matter if you found it a minute later, the OTAs will go right back and tell you that.

We have had a ton of these complaints and very few success stories because the OTA will point fingers at the hotel and the hotel will point to the OTA.

The lesson to learn is pay a little more and book a cancelable reservation.