Expedia created additional Itinerary without my knowledge and refuse to refund $1000

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 29, 2016
If you were told that on Twitter, you should have a copy of that conversation to support your assertion that you would be refunded. As far as the second booking, is the ticket in your name on the same flight as you originally wanted?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I am having difficulty following the timing, so I have attempted to summarize your experience below. Please correct any mistakes.
  • On August 7th at 10:04 PM while in the UK you booked a one-way flight from London to Sydney on Quantas using Expedia on your iPhone.
  • You saw the itinerary number 74617028 ++++(amount $974.82 AUD) but never received an actual confirmation.
  • You contacted Expedia immediately via Twitter and were advised that “the transaction was unsuccessful/cancelled, you had not been charged, and that it was a pre-authorization that would be released after 7 days”.
  • You then re-booked with a brick-and-mortar travel agency.
  • Upon your return home there was still no refund, so you lodged a dispute with your bank.
  • On August 22nd there was still no return of the funds to your account so you called Expedia and were assured the trip was unbooked and they would send paperwork to your bank.
  • You were later advised by Expedia that you had created a second itinerary and forwarded the same to an email address that isn’t yours, even though they could tell that you had only logged on once.
  • On October 4th Expedia sent a message to advise you that there was another booking under another itinerary NO; 7461701+++ which had been matched with the ticket from Qantas.
  • In the end, Quantas declined the refund request as they "had issued the ticket" (the one from Expedia?).

Oct 15, 2019
Did you do this transaction over public WiFi? If so, you could have been hacked.

Send that letter to Expedia using our company contacts.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/

Start at Customer Service and move up the contact list one at a time, leaving one week in between letters.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Thanks Neil I have started the process. It was all done from my Sister's house so now public wifi involved, I really suspect something that has been done behind the scenes at Expedia.

Oct 15, 2019
If you were told that on Twitter, you should have a copy of that conversation to support your assertion that you would be refunded. As far as the second booking, is the ticket in your name on the same flight as you originally wanted?
Yes I have the conversations with Expedia and the booking was exactly what I wanted and if I have known I was booked on would have been more than happy to take it.

Oct 15, 2019
I am having difficulty following the timing, so I have attempted to summarize your experience below. Please correct any mistakes.
  • On August 7th at 10:04 PM while in the UK you booked a one-way flight from London to Sydney on Quantas using Expedia on your iPhone.
  • You saw the itinerary number 74617028 ++++(amount $974.82 AUD) but never received an actual confirmation.
  • You contacted Expedia immediately via Twitter and were advised that “the transaction was unsuccessful/cancelled, you had not been charged, and that it was a pre-authorization that would be released after 7 days”.
  • You then re-booked with a brick-and-mortar travel agency.
  • Upon your return home there was still no refund, so you lodged a dispute with your bank.
  • On August 22nd there was still no return of the funds to your account so you called Expedia and were assured the trip was unbooked and they would send paperwork to your bank.
  • You were later advised by Expedia that you had created a second itinerary and forwarded the same to an email address that isn’t yours, even though they could tell that you had only logged on once.
  • On October 4th Expedia sent a message to advise you that there was another booking under another itinerary NO; 7461701+++ which had been matched with the ticket from Qantas.
  • In the end, Quantas declined the refund request as they "had issued the ticket" (the one from Expedia?).
Thank you yes all above correct.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Thank you yes all above correct.
Since these are correct, I recommend you use this list (or something similar) when communicating with Expedia.

IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level . . .
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - explain that you can send them separately if necessary
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in our company contacts
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Oct 15, 2019
Since these are correct, I recommend you use this list (or something similar) when communicating with Expedia.

IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level . . .
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - explain that you can send them separately if necessary
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in our company contacts
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
The latest update is that the case was referred to the escalations team again, they rang and the guy there still says thinks my account was compromised and is willing as a gesture of goodwill to refund $100 and maybe $200 from the airport taxes - I am thinking this is as good as it gets as I can't prove what happened - BBB have also been in touch with them. I guess I just have to take it as a lesson learned and lose $700.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Only you can decide what ofer to accept, but I agree that it is tough to prove what happened. Lesson learned, I think, would be to obtain promises in writing (did you send them the tweets?).

Oct 15, 2019
Only you can decide what ofer to accept, but I agree that it is tough to prove what happened. Lesson learned, I think, would be to obtain promises in writing (did you send them the tweets?).
Thanks - yes I sent them all the tweets and as the flight itself was only around $300 the rest was airport taxes I guess it's better than nothing. I still think it is all really suspicious and I'll never use 3rd party for flights again.

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks - yes I sent them all the tweets and as the flight itself was only around $300 the rest was airport taxes I guess it's better than nothing. I still think it is all really suspicious and I'll never use 3rd party for flights again.
Ugh -- well I think your case was credible because you had the tweets from them -- ie something in writing. I do not think that returning the taxes and such is so generous of them.

How far up the contact list have you gone?

Reactions: Artrina