Enterprise failed to file damage claim with insurance or notify me of this. Instead got put on black list unless I pay costs I was never made aware of

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 27, 2018
Years ago I rented a vehicle from Enterprise. While it was parked the vehicle was struck by another person, who was good enough to go to the local Enterprise location to provide their insurance information as they accepted responsibility. I even double-checked after returning the vehicle that his insurance was on file. However, what Enterprise did was file a claim with my insurance instead which I had no clue about, and hold me responsible for the deductible, but failed to send me a bill. Even worse than not filing with the person at fault insurance which was provided by that person, I also rented the car on my AMEX which provided accident insurance, which would have covered the deductible, had I been made aware or they filed with AMEX. So despite having 3 insurance policies on file and recorded, which should have ensured I didn't have a single penny out of pocket, they recorded an outstanding balance in my name of $1000 and failed to ever send me a statement or request for money. Now, of course, it's too late to file with AMEX for the accident insurance coverage and/or dispute anything with the other responsible insurance.

About 4 years go by and I go to rent a vehicle only to be told I"ve been placed on a DO NOT RENT list and given a number to call. Upon calling and speaking to their DNR dept, I'm told I'll be removed from the DNR list as soon as I pay them $1000 I had no idea was even owed. I informed the lady of this and that there were several other insurance policies and the accident was not my responsibility. She proceeded to tell me despite having the responsible parties insurance it wasn't their job to file with that insurance only mine. She continues to state I could have provided that info to my insurance and they could have gone after the responsible insurance, but I'd still have to pay my deductible.
When i made mention of my credit card also having coverage she stated I would have needed to file with them, it wasn't their responsibility. Upon asking how I could have done that filed with AMEX for something I didn't even know needed coverage she stated I should have followed up afterwards, despite only being charged on my card for the expected rental amount, getting the closed out contract and never receiving a statement or bill for the remaining repair costs.

Anyone else think this is beyond crazy! Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, it's crazy! Avoid renting vehicles from companies that put you on a DNR list and don't bother to inform you. Thank goodness Enterprise has many competitors who will be happy to have your business.

Jun 24, 2019
You may wish to tender this claim to Amex and to your personal insurance at the time of the incident. They may reject your claim due to age, which raises some issues beyond the scope of this forum. This does not sound like a chargeable accident that would increase your rates. If you know of the other party's carrier, you could try tendering the claim there.

Separately, there are Enterprise corporate contacts elsewhere on this forum which you could pursue, one at a time, setting forth your issues in a simple letter. omitting the crazy characterization, even though it is crazy.

And, as JSN55 notes, there are competitors.

Reactions: FrankL183 and VoR61
Mar 27, 2018
Thanks ya'll. The reason I never noticed my insurance paid the claim out to enterprise was due to it not raising my rates. AMEX won't handle the claim due to the amount of elapsed time and the total lack of any /all documentation on this rental now. Consequently, the responsible party passed away a few years ago and his insurance won't pay for it now as they are unable to verify anything with him.

I guess I'll try reaching out to the enterprise contacts one by one who hopefully can take care of this issue for me.

As far as competitors. There's really not. It may seem like there are many rental companies out there, but they are all owned by the same companies. Hertz, Avis and Enterprise, with a few minor out layers here and there.

Oct 13, 2015
Did you ever notify Amex yourself? I also had a rental car that was hit in a parking lot. I called Amex and they took care of everything. They dealt with the at-fault driver's insurance. I could be wrong but I thought that I was required to notify Amex myself as the insured party.

Jun 12, 2019
If your insurance did not find you at fault, check if they ever subbrogate against the at fault party. If they did, they owe you the money.

Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Did you ever notify Amex yourself? I also had a rental car that was hit in a parking lot. I called Amex and they took care of everything. They dealt with the at-fault driver's insurance. I could be wrong but I thought that I was required to notify Amex myself as the insured party.
You are right, krisseye ... even if it's not required, the prudent thing to do is report any kind of damage to any vehicle/person/property immediately and find out what you need to do next.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
You are right, krisseye ... even if it's not required, the prudent thing to do is report any kind of damage to any vehicle/person/property immediately and find out what you need to do next.
Nicely said, J! If a rental car is in your possession and becomes damaged, regardless of who was at fault, its prudent to follow through until the matter is settled and you have written confirmation that it is. Never assume anything.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Mar 27, 2018
I never notified AMEX or was contacted by my insurance who paid out the claim but didn't find me at fault. The bigger issue is that I never even got a bill or statement saying I owed anything. I confirmed that the other day on the phone with their DNR dept who verified they send the bills to an address over 10 years old, despite the branch I rented the vehicle from having all my updated information. I also spoke with the branch several times after the rental ended as they overcharged because they themselves lost the vehicle for a week. Yet they corrected the over billing on my card and never brought up any other balance owed. It's been years now and it's too late for my insurance to subrogate the responsible parties policy and too late to file a claim with AMEX for the rental protection. Had I received a bill, or any notice that I owed anything at all this could all have been avoided.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I never notified AMEX or was contacted by my insurance who paid out the claim but didn't find me at fault. The bigger issue is that I never even got a bill or statement saying I owed anything. I confirmed that the other day on the phone with their DNR dept who verified they send the bills to an address over 10 years old, despite the branch I rented the vehicle from having all my updated information. I also spoke with the branch several times after the rental ended as they overcharged because they themselves lost the vehicle for a week. Yet they corrected the over billing on my card and never brought up any other balance owed. It's been years now and it's too late for my insurance to subrogate the responsible parties policy and too late to file a claim with AMEX for the rental protection. Had I received a bill, or any notice that I owed anything at all this could all have been avoided.
This is important information. Please use our company contacts and start writing to Enterprise executives. You should specifically state this.

This is how to escalate and I would begin with the first executive- This is beyond what Customer service can correct. You may want to try and negotiate a settlement with them to try to be put back on the rental list.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Reactions: VoR61