Ebay & Paypal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 27, 2020
Im posting on this thread about Ebay and PayPal in hopes that "I" can enlighten and make a difference for consumers. Currently, the pandemic and chaotic moments we are experiencing, large corporations are delivering the highest quality that they can provide. PayPal has fallen short tremendously. Paypal as a company has become incompetent in servicing consumers during this tragic time.

The dispute that I (as an individual) have with Paypal is that they have completely blocked/restricted my credentials from purchasing on Ebay. See, Ebay uses PayPal as their processing center for ALL purchases made on their website. That means even if you have or dont have an account with PayPal your charges still have to be authorized by PayPal's processing system. Ebay does not function as their own entity. Paypal has rights associated with Ebay bonded through a sloppy contract. The tricky part, I WAS blocked with a PayPal account and Im still blocked WITHOUT a Paypal account. I have contacted PayPal & Ebay multiple times through emails and chat services for the past three weeks persistently. Im extremely exhausted and furious. My rights to purchase from Ebay has been stripped even though I have been a loyal customer for years. PayPal customer service has acknowledged that they can not override the processing system to change the outcome. Does that mean I have an indefinite ban restriction as a customer for Ebay?

I have taken the following steps to resolve the issue:

-Tried to use Ebay mobile app and desktop website.
-Switched devices to attempt purchases.
-Refreshed browser, cleared cache and cookies.
-Attempted to use multiple debit/credit cards.
-Attempted to pay using a PayPal account with my payment method stored in their system, which failed.
-Attempted to pay under a Guest account.
-Called my financial institution multiple times they blame Paypal because they can see the attempted charges being held with PayPal.
-Rechecked detailed credentials stored with my Ebay account and debit/credit card issuer to make sure all information matches across both platforms.
-Opened a new Ebay account and attempted to purchase.
-Permanently closed the Paypal Account that the restriction began with.
-Opened a new Paypal account and attempted to purchase.
-Tried to purchase same items with different sellers.
-Emailed and chatted with Paypal multiple times.
-Emailed and chatted with Ebay multiple times.
-Attempted to contact the executive leaders of PayPal & Ebay.
-Filed a complaint against Ebay & Paypal with the Better Business Bureau.
-Opened a complaint case with my State's Attorney General's Office against both companies.

I have exhausted all options suggested by Ebay and PayPal's customer service representatives. I will no longer utilize services with Paypal, matter of fact, I permanently closed my account with Paypal for this very issue. No one understands that PayPal's processing system targets a customer for specific reasons and "blacklists" their credentials, for what reason, your guess is better than mine. Im blocked as a whole by my name, physical address, cell number and email addresses. Anything associated with me such as debit/credit cards, Paypal & Ebay accounts are restricted when the system sees my information. Paypal can not provide an explanation for this abnormality.

My account with Ebay is in good standing, my account I previously had with PayPal was also in good standing. One day, I woke up, and couldnt shop with Ebay. During these times I definitely used online shopping to integrate social distancing.

There is a high percentage of customers with the same problem. I urge Ebay & Paypal to please look into this matter. After all, we are the "Little Indians" that generate revenue. I hope this issue gets exposed, many of us are hopeful others have closed accounts permanently with both companies. Sometimes it's best to reach out to the superior's in the chain of command any way you can possible. Often they are oblivious to the issues that arise with consumers.

Resolution. I would like my purchasing rights restored, the restriction/limitation removed. I do not care how it's done,"Paypal", figure it out and resolve it. Unflag my credentials such as name, address, phone number and email address from PayPal's processing system. Notify executive leaders and inform them about this problem so they can implement changes and improve customer's experiences with both companies.

Im looking forward from hearing back from someone/anyone that can fix my dilemma as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Ansley Niles
U.S. Army Veteran
Army Strong

Jun 24, 2019
We have elsewhere on this site suggestions on how to write an effective letter and company contacts for Paypal. https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Given your efforts so far, there may be no resolution available, as you have already gone to Ebay's executives and your state's attorney general. But you should try working trough the contacts, one at a week, with at least a week between contacts.

Try to shorten your concern. Essentially, your paypal account is not working. That's it. One sentence. Dear X: My paypal account tied to my ebay account is not working. I've spoken with Ebay, PayPal and my bank and nothing has cured the problem. I tried setting up a new account and that did not work. Can you help me?"

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Unless you are a member of a protected class and your privileges were removed/blocked because of that class membership, you do not have "rights" to utilize any private entity for purchase or payment.

The list of your activities with eBay/Paypal would raise the possibility of money laundering. You can utilize the contacts on this site for the two entities and see if you can reach another person who might unravel the problem, but looking at the activities you listed including opening or trying to open multiple accounts on both platforms, your chance of success will not be high.

May 30, 2019
I will no longer utilize services with Paypal, matter of fact, I permanently closed my account with Paypal for this very issue.
If I understood your post, If you permanently closed your account, you can't have you can't have it opened.

You noted that you are in the military. If you attempted to make international transactions using a US-based address, that can be a major red flag. The company is not required to tell you what red flags came up (and sometimes, for reasons related to security, cannot tell you); and neither eBay or PayPal are required to do business with you. So my best thoughts for self-advocacy are already mentioned by SoCalTraveler in Post #2. Be sure to be polite, not accusatory, when dealing directly with the company.

May 27, 2020
The opening of accounts were suggested by Ebay and Paypal in order to try to make purchases. I have not tried to do anything illegal. I was a regular customer who got "blacklisted" for no reason. When the companies tell you that they cant explain the phenomenon then it's essentially not my fault by anything I have done. My accounts that I had were in great standing and this was confirmed.

May 27, 2020
We have elsewhere on this site suggestions on how to write an effective letter and company contacts for Paypal. https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Given your efforts so far, there may be no resolution available, as you have already gone to Ebay's executives and your state's attorney general. But you should try working trough the contacts, one at a week, with at least a week between contacts.

Try to shorten your concern. Essentially, your paypal account is not working. That's it. One sentence. Dear X: My paypal account tied to my ebay account is not working. I've spoken with Ebay, PayPal and my bank and nothing has cured the problem. I tried setting up a new account and that did not work. Can you help me?"
The problem is not just a "paypal account". That's what's getting misunderstood. The way you comprehended my post is the way others are perceiving the issue when I need to explain further. It does not matter if I have a paypal account or not. Im blocked by my credentials, the information that makes up my profile as a whole. My open cases with BBB and my States Attorney General is still awaiting resolution.

Nov 27, 2019
The problem is not just a "paypal account". That's what's getting misunderstood. The way you comprehended my post is the way others are perceiving the issue when I need to explain further. It does not matter if I have a paypal account or not. Im blocked by my credentials, the information that makes up my profile as a whole. My open cases with BBB and my States Attorney General is still awaiting resolution.
The underlying issue here is that neither PayPal nor eBay are obliged to do business with you. Unless you can show that they're choosing not to do business with you for a very limited range of prohibited reasons (race, gender, religion, etc.), they're free to decide that they don't want you as a customer.

Jun 24, 2019
I fully comprehend your problem. Paypal and Ebay are run by computers, not by people. Think "HAL" in "2001, A Space Odyssey." It is neither yours or my job to figure out why the computer is not working. It is sufficient for you to say that your account is not working and you need it fixed. Tell them your account is not working and get someone interested in fixing your problem.

May 27, 2020
The underlying issue here is that neither PayPal nor eBay are obliged to do business with you. Unless you can show that they're choosing not to do business with you for a very limited range of prohibited reasons (race, gender, religion, etc.), they're free to decide that they don't want you as a customer.

If these companies didnt want my money they wouldnt try to fix the issue. Again, you guys are taking this way out of proportion. Nobody is doing international shopping I have not bought items while visiting other countries. ALL my transactions have been in the U.S. because Im retired now so nix that option. Im contacting them the best way I see fit. Thank you for your advice.

May 27, 2020
Again, if a company doesnt want a "buyers" business zim pretty sure I would be notified just like they do their sellers. Again, I have not committed a crime or done anything wrong. Several people are experiencing the same issue to due to overwhelming charges going through the system. Its a capacity maximum the processing system can handle. So, Im just a crab in the barrel that got picked for the boiling. My card has been ran multiple times in one month because I online shop A LOT. I triggered the system somehow.

May 27, 2020
I fully comprehend your problem. Paypal and Ebay are run by computers, not by people. Think "HAL" in "2001, A Space Odyssey." It is neither yours or my job to figure out why the computer is not working. It is sufficient for you to say that your account is not working and you need it fixed. Tell them your account is not working and get someone interested in fixing your problem.
And Im currently doing this as we speak thats why Im here on Elliott which Ive regretted the second I posted this. I feel like im having to be combative through speech because I have people on this forum coming at me like "Im the problem" or like they know I did something wrong when that is not the proper scenario. I woke up one day and couldnt shop. Ebay & Paypal are sorry this happened they dont know how to fix it. Im here to bring exposure so their tech team can be aware.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for PayPal that might be able to help you.

Click here - https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

This tells you how to write an effective letter and create a paper trail:

You have already reached out to Customer Service so I would suggest starting at the first executive we show and giving them at least a week before you moved to the next.

Let us know how you make out.

May 27, 2020
We have company contacts for PayPal that might be able to help you.

Click here - https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

This tells you how to write an effective letter and create a paper trail:

You have already reached out to Customer Service so I would suggest starting at the first executive we show and giving them at least a week before you moved to the next.

Let us know how you make out.
Thank you so much. I sure will. Writing is the last suggestion that I haven't completed. I'll update everyone on it. :)

May 27, 2020
Hello, everyone it is May 28, 2020 and Im reporting back. After filing all the cases it finally happened. My rights to shop again were restored. I made a purchase today on Ebay successfully. Im no longer "blacklisted" and both companies are happy to have me back as a happy consumer. Anybody else going through this please follow all steps. I didnt have to write Paypal but I was about to mail a letter. Im absolutely happy. Closing this feed. Roger Out!!!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello, everyone it is May 28, 2020 and Im reporting back. After filing all the cases it finally happened. My rights to shop again were restored. I made a purchase today on Ebay successfully. Im no longer "blacklisted" and both companies are happy to have me back as a happy consumer. Anybody else going through this please follow all steps. I didnt have to write Paypal but I was about to mail a letter. Im absolutely happy. Closing this feed. Roger Out!!!!
Very happy for you ... not too many people win these. You should be proud. 10-4, good buddy.