Do credit card companies charge a fee to do a process a dispute?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 11, 2020
My travel companion and I were going to travel throughout Europe but plans changed due to Coronavirus. We contacted the credit card company Citibank Visa (through Costco) to notify them since we were not getting refunds and shortly thereafter they started to show up on the statements but not for the full amounts. Do the credit card companies now charge a fee (about 10 percent) to process these disputes/transactions? Thanks!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
They don't have fees. It could be based on some information you gave them or what you said in the dispute. What information have you gotten from your credit card regarding the disputes?

Be ware that the credits are temporary and could be reversed depending upon why you're disputing it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you sure there weren't cancellation fees for the trips you canceled? I have never heard of a fee for filing a dispute, but it could be you weren't due a 100% refund. Or, if you booked in foreign currency, the conversion rate changed from when you originally booked.

Reactions: jsn55
Nov 22, 2019
Can you explain what type of credit you got? and if you filed a chargeback claim to Citi?
If you get a refund from a company in Europe, maybe the rate USD/EUR changed, maybe there were some penalities fees.
If you made a chargeback claim to Citibank, they will just reversed 100% of the amount, investigate, and then decide what to do.

Reactions: jsn55 and krisseye
Jun 24, 2019
The Fair Credit Reporting Act does not authorize any fee to process a dispute.

If funds had to be converted from a foreign currency, a bank will typically charge a conversion fee. I've seen such fees as high as 3% off an exchange rate not available to us. (Typically, it's off the rate for $100,000 or more at a time.)

Reactions: mmb and krisseye
Feb 3, 2017
I agree that it is likely the currency conversion fee which is fluid. You may have paid at a time when the currency exchange with the euro was different that it was when the bank credited your account.

I'd suggest calling them to clarify the matter.

Jun 24, 2019
I agree that it is likely the currency conversion fee which is fluid. You may have paid at a time when the currency exchange with the euro was different that it was when the bank credited your account.

I'd suggest calling them to clarify the matter.
My experience with Bank of America suggests that if the Euro is trading at $1.16 (as reported in the WSJ or at XE.Com), B of A will charge me $1.20. The currency trading office a few steps from my office (and 18 miles from my kitchen table) would charge me $1.22, and would reluctantly match B of A. The rate B of A charged me was similar to Wells Fargo. Thus, I don't believe a 10% difference can be explained by currency differences unless the refund was priced in a very thinly traded currency.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My experience with Bank of America suggests that if the Euro is trading at $1.16 (as reported in the WSJ or at XE.Com), B of A will charge me $1.20. The currency trading office a few steps from my office (and 18 miles from my kitchen table) would charge me $1.22, and would reluctantly match B of A. The rate B of A charged me was similar to Wells Fargo. Thus, I don't believe a 10% difference can be explained by currency differences unless the refund was priced in a very thinly traded currency.
If they are obtaining refunds from a European hotel, there might be two conversions- one from the hotel and another from the bank itself or the bank might have a foreign transaction fee. I don’t know that Citi offers free foreign transactions on their cards.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We can speculate all day long, please call the CC issuer and ask for an explanation. Good luck and please let us know what happens so we can help others.

Reactions: Patina