Dishwasher model noGDF620HGJ4BB, serial no HH838387BB

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 27, 2018
The GE dishwasher was bought,installed and registered on 13 June,2017 and stopped working in July,2018.A GE technician charged us $99.95 and gave us an estimate of $549.33 to repair it as the mother board of the dishwasher has gone.
How a dishwasher mother board can work for 14 months only and that also of a reputed co. like GE? Whether the product is defective and if so why I have to pay for it to get it working?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is this a photo of something we should know about?
It sounds to me like this is a warranty issue. What does your warranty say? Did you post a photo of your warranty? It surely doesn't sound like you should have to pay for a repair on a machine this new. What action have you taken since July?
It is a photo of the letter she wrote.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
It happens - they are computerized and it is a part. As a former IT technician, I've seen mother boards go on two week old laptops.

It is still under warranty?
I believe GE dishwashers have a one year warranty so it failed one month after expiration.

Saroj, if you purchased the dishwasher with a credit card, you should see if it offers a warranty extension. Many do. If not, you might be able to get an extension from GE although they aren't required to provide one.

Reactions: Neil Maley

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Look at current news at GE--the company is in serious financial trouble. The GE reputation is in tatters and they are selling off assets to try to stay afloat. They are approaching the status of another American icon, Sears
A motherboard is a computer-although reliable, in general, some fail prematurely. There is no way to predict time to failure unless there is a known flaw. Have you researched this specific model to see if there are multiple reports of this type of premature failure? Some electronics last years, others last months.
You can contact GE cust serv and see if they will help you.
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/general-electric-ge/

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 27, 2017
Does any manufacturer build traditional appliances -- i.e., strictly mechanical, without on-board computers or motherboards -- anymore? I've had both a washer and a refrigerator go out on me due to bad motherboards. In each case, the cost to replace the board was within $100 of the cost of an actual , new, identical replacement, which is sketchy as hell. This would be a great selling point, actually, to advertise that the appliances you manufacture/sell are free of these gremlin--infested boards. People like me, who have been burned before, would be glad to jump on a computer-less appliance.

(FWIW, my washer was less than a month out of warranty, and the fridge caused a four-month fight with Sears to get them to honor their warranty.)

Reactions: jsn55

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riroon, I have a base-level Hotpoint washing machine that is strictly mechanical. Hot/warm/cold, Small/Large/Super. It doesn't even have an indicator light to show it's on. It's about 4 years old and works fine. My Whirlpool fridge and stove are also non-computerized. You won't see these models in showrooms, but they exisit online through Home Depot and Lowes, and you can order them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Riroon, I have a base-level Hotpoint washing machine that is strictly mechanical. Hot/warm/cold, Small/Large/Super. It doesn't even have an indicator light to show it's on. It's about 4 years old and works fine. My Whirlpool fridge and stove are also non-computerized. You won't see these models in showrooms, but they exisit online through Home Depot and Lowes, and you can order them.
I had no idea! Next time something implodes at my house, I'll find a replacement that's strictly mechanical. This whole computer thing in an appliance is pointless, kinda like all the electronics on a Lincoln Navigator ... mostly useless and expensive to replace. American consumers have been taken for a ride for years, it's time to stand up for the appliances that we need and want.

Reactions: Sanman33
Jan 25, 2016
It's getting very difficult, if not impossible, to find the non-electronic versions of appliances. I just searched lowes.com, homedepot.com and the Hot Point website and there is no strictly mechanical washing machine available. That being said, replacing the logic board (or controller board) in a dishwasher is very easy and the parts are readily available ... at a discount! Try appliancepartspros.com or repairclinic.com. Not only will they help you find the right part at a discount, but they also often have videos demonstrating installation. Additionally, there are user to user forums where appliance repair technicians assist in diagnosing issues with your appliances.

Using these resources, I've replaced the control board in my dryer, the oven igniter and gas "spuds" in my stove and the door switch in my front load washing machine.

Feb 28, 2018
General Electric Major appliances still bear the GE name, but the major appliance division ( washers, dryers, dishwashers, etc.) was solld by the parent GE corporation to another firm. My local appliance dealer advised me six months ago not to replace my worn out 12 year old GE dishwasher with anothe GE product due to current quality control and warranty problems, and we purchased an excellent ( so far) Kitchenaid dishwasher. The Kitchenaid unit is electronic (circuit board)but we also bought a 5 year warranty.

Oct 5, 2016
It's getting very difficult, if not impossible, to find the non-electronic versions of appliances. I just searched lowes.com, homedepot.com and the Hot Point website and there is no strictly mechanical washing machine available. That being said, replacing the logic board (or controller board) in a dishwasher is very easy and the parts are readily available ... at a discount! Try appliancepartspros.com or repairclinic.com. Not only will they help you find the right part at a discount, but they also often have videos demonstrating installation. Additionally, there are user to user forums where appliance repair technicians assist in diagnosing issues with your appliances.

Using these resources, I've replaced the control board in my dryer, the oven igniter and gas "spuds" in my stove and the door switch in my front load washing machine.
The motherboard went out on my refrigerator. The service technician could order one and get delivered after the weekend. I surfed the Internet a bit and found one from WalMart that would we delivered over night. At less cost. The tech was perfectly happy to install that one.