Disappointment with Marriott

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 9, 2019
Certainly contact Marriott; however, do you have a Plan B in mind? Aka: accepting their offer to reschedule? Otherwise, you lose everything. This appears to be a scheduling conflict you had, regarding the original dates, yes? Soooo realizing there's a REALLY good chance you're going to be told NO all the way up the chain, be prepared for what you WILL accept, or WILL do: Change dates or Eat the charges. Good Luck!!
Their offer to reschedule only goes thru July, 2020, so that's not a possibility. My work schedule prevents me from going for at least the next 2 years.

May 1, 2018
Their offer to reschedule only goes thru July, 2020, so that's not a possibility. My work schedule prevents me from going for at least the next 2 years.
Sorry but it seems you're out of luck then. This situation is unfortunate but non-refundable reservations are really tough to crack. I would chalk this up to a learning opportunity and avoid non-refundable reservations in the future.

Reactions: Mel65 and Patina

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Ouch. Well that sucks. You may well be out of luck. Can your family go without you, if necessary? That would obviously be ideal but I know if came down to me losing several hundred dollars or my family going and me working... I'd choose them going without me if it were me... In any case... good luck with your appeals. In the future, do NOT book Non-Refundables unless you are 100% prepared to eat the cost!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Ouch. Well that sucks. You may well be out of luck. Can your family go without you, if necessary? That would obviously be ideal but I know if came down to me losing several hundred dollars or my family going and me working... I'd choose them going without me if it were me... In any case... good luck with your appeals. In the future, do NOT book Non-Refundables unless you are 100% prepared to eat the cost!
Or, if you have to book non-refundable (for example, visiting a city where a huge event is taking place so the hotels only book non-refundable) buy trip insurance and include Cancel For Any Reason if possible.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
When you write to Marriott, you might try BEGGING them to convert your lost dollars into points. It's worth a shot if you're extremely humble and acknowledge that you are the one who made the mistake by booking the non-refundable rate. They've already got your money and probably won't give it back, but they may be agreeable to adding some extra points to your account.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
When you write to Marriott, you might try BEGGING them to convert your lost dollars into points. It's worth a shot if you're extremely humble and acknowledge that you are the one who made the mistake by booking the non-refundable rate. They've already got your money and probably won't give it back, but they may be agreeable to adding some extra points to your account.
I agree ... we see miracles here quite often. It's a long shot, but ignore the hotel. Concentrate on Marriott. They've taken such a beating over the SPG merger that you never know if one of the execs will take pity on you and stand up.

Dec 19, 2014
Marriott is pretty strict with the advance purchase rates. Corporate always will defer to the individual property for variances to non-refundable rates.

As others have said, they already have made a concession by allowing you to change your dates. Because you are a lifetime platinum, they MAY offer an exception to the rule, but I wouldn't expect it. It will help if you are an ACTIVE platinum (ie you are still staying 50+ nights a year) versus if you are riding the coattails of a lifetime platinum because of previous stays.

Because you made the reservation 1 week ago and the stay is several months ahead, plead your case with corporate, and emphasize your loyalty and commitment to Marriott.

I almost NEVER book advance purchase rates. The savings is never worth the risk, because the advanced purchase rates are essentially use it or lose it and akin to basic economy airline fares.

Because the hotel has already offered you to change your dates, your chance of securing a refund is very very low.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Marriott is pretty strict with the advance purchase rates. Corporate always will defer to the individual property for variances to non-refundable rates.

As others have said, they already have made a concession by allowing you to change your dates. Because you are a lifetime platinum, they MAY offer an exception to the rule, but I wouldn't expect it. It will help if you are an ACTIVE platinum (ie you are still staying 50+ nights a year) versus if you are riding the coattails of a lifetime platinum because of previous stays.

Because you made the reservation 1 week ago and the stay is several months ahead, plead your case with corporate, and emphasize your loyalty and commitment to Marriott.

I almost NEVER book advance purchase rates. The savings is never worth the risk, because the advanced purchase rates are essentially use it or lose it and akin to basic economy airline fares.

Because the hotel has already offered you to change your dates, your chance of securing a refund is very very low.
I'm disappointed that our OP hasn't answered our questions. You have it just right, Chris ... if he's a 50-75 nights a year guy, Marriott will pay more attention. He can just do a status-match with another chain and Marriott would never see another dollar from him. THAT might make a big difference to corporate.

Dec 9, 2019
I agree ... we see miracles here quite often. It's a long shot, but ignore the hotel. Concentrate on Marriott. They've taken such a beating over the SPG merger that you never know if one of the execs will take pity on you and stand up.
I just received word from the office of one of the contacts listed in the Elliott Advocacy Help Forum, Renee Buonincontri, who is one of Marriott's Vice-Presidents, that they will look into the matter. I believe it will be one of Ms. Buonincontri's employees who reports directly to her. Let's hope for a miracle. Thanks again to everyone who has responded.

Dec 9, 2019
Well, Alan, this is a fine mess. I am so sorry you booked a non-ref rate. From Skippy's post, it looks like the various rates are quite complicated. I'm not a Marriott person ... what level is Platinum Elite at Marriott? How many nights a year do you stay at Marriott properties?

If this had happened to me as an HH Diamond, I know that Hilton would take care of me one way or the other. While I agree that charging you the entire amount for a res so far out is outrageous, them's the rules. I would compose a concise, polite, appreciative letter to Marriott ... is it Bonvoy? Admit your error in booking, and "artfully beg" for some help. Don't throw in anything about being a starving student, disabled, a senior citizen on a fixed income, or any cliche like that. Just admit the error and state how sorry your are to have to ask for help. Anyone can understand why you don't want to lose all that money, you don't need any excuse. If no response, or you don't like what you hear, use our Company Contacts, starting at the lowest, and work your way up the beanstalk. Give Bonvoy two weeks, then allow one week between the other submissions.

I believe that this will require direct intervention at the hotel by one of the Marriott execs. It will be a difficult battle to convince someone to help you, I think. But you have to try. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
Certainly contact Marriott; however, do you have a Plan B in mind? Aka: accepting their offer to reschedule? Otherwise, you lose everything. This appears to be a scheduling conflict you had, regarding the original dates, yes? Soooo realizing there's a REALLY good chance you're going to be told NO all the way up the chain, be prepared for what you WILL accept, or WILL do: Change dates or Eat the charges. Good Luck!!
Did you purchase travel insurance for the trip? If you did, you should check your policy to see if your reason for cancellation is a covered peril. If you did not, perhaps the credit card you used to pay for the reservation offers trip protection.
No, I did not purchase travel insurance nor do I have trip protection on my credit card.

Dec 9, 2019
Use our Marriott contacts. Just make sure you understand, it is quite possible you might not be satisfied with the end results- you chose a non refundable rate vs. refundable and the hotel hasn’t done anything wrong by denying a refund. And even if you had insurance and weren’t canceling for a valid covered reason- say illness- insurance might not help.

You don’t say why you were canceling do we can’t say if insurance would or would not have helped.

Did you call your credit card company to ask if they have any insurance offered?
I canceled because of my work schedule.

Dec 9, 2019
Use our Marriott contacts. Just make sure you understand, it is quite possible you might not be satisfied with the end results- you chose a non refundable rate vs. refundable and the hotel hasn’t done anything wrong by denying a refund. And even if you had insurance and weren’t canceling for a valid covered reason- say illness- insurance might not help.

You don’t say why you were canceling do we can’t say if insurance would or would not have helped.

Did you call your credit card company to ask if they have any insurance offered?
No, the credit card company has no insuranc

I've stayed 31 nights last year, 25 this year.

Dec 19, 2014
@Alanbrito

Having Marriott elite status does allow many rules to be waived, it is my understanding (from talking to high level staff at Marriott), that refunding non-refundable pre-paid rates is generally not granted.

The decision to make an exception is made at the hotel level. Getting a credit to use for future travel is frequently granted, but giving a refund is rarely given. As I posted previously, corporate will defer to the hotel. Corporate may "advocate" for you, but they generally won't force the hotel's hand. Also, despite you being "Platinum" for life status, be aware that Platinum isn't even close to being the highest tier in the Marriott hierarchy.

If you have a relationship with the hotel, you are more likely to have an exception made.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Dec 9, 2019
@Alanbrito

Having Marriott elite status does allow many rules to be waived, it is my understanding (from talking to high level staff at Marriott), that refunding non-refundable pre-paid rates is generally not granted.

The decision to make an exception is made at the hotel level. Getting a credit to use for future travel is frequently granted, but giving a refund is rarely given. As I posted previously, corporate will defer to the hotel. Corporate may "advocate" for you, but they generally won't force the hotel's hand. Also, despite you being "Platinum" for life status, be aware that Platinum isn't even close to being the highest tier in the Marriott hierarchy.

If you have a relationship with the hotel, you are more likely to have an exception made.
Regrettably, I have never stayed at the hotel, so there is no relationship.

Dec 9, 2019
I received an email today from Marriott's corporate headquarters which informed me that the entire cost of my Advance Purchase for 8 nights at the Istanbul Ritz Carlton will be refunded. The total amount is $2499.09.

I thank The Elliott Advocacy team for allowing me to participate in this forum. I also thank everyone else who was kind enough to give me their advice. It was greatly appreciated. If any of you have any questions for me please post in the forum and I will answer as soon as possible. Thanks again to all!

May 7, 2019
I received an email today from Marriott's corporate headquarters which informed me that the entire cost of my Advance Purchase for 8 nights at the Istanbul Ritz Carlton will be refunded. The total amount is $2499.09.

I thank The Elliott Advocacy team for allowing me to participate in this forum. I also thank everyone else who was kind enough to give me their advice. It was greatly appreciated. If any of you have any questions for me please post in the forum and I will answer as soon as possible. Thanks again to all!
Congratulations, fantastic outcome! I’m surprised that Marriott granted your refund. Thank you for showing us that it pays to run your request up the corporate ladder!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015

Congrats on successfully advocating for yourself!

May 30, 2019

Kudos!