Direct to Immigration's Secondary Screening?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Does anyone know if you are required to use the kiosks for immigration or can you skip them and go directly to the secondary screening area? Due to the highly common name of my husband (and the fact that a known criminal shares the same name), my husband always (100% so far) receives an "X" on the kiosk printout at immigration. We may apply for Global Entry for future travel but we are headed to Canada in two weeks so its the usual immigration process for us this time around. And, unfortunately, we will not be flying out of an airport in Canada that has a US Immigration station. Unfortunately, we get the honor of clearing at JFK!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Why not try it once and see what happens, although I would only recommend that if you don't have to walk past primary and make it appear you are trying to sneak through. I personally would rather use the kiosks as there is always a chance they will let him through next time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would not try this. Either apply for Global Entry so that you can walk right through the first or suck it up. What if a terrorist was able to try to do that? Everyone would be up in arms about the lack of security.

With the high sensitivity of what is going on in airports right now - don't even think of trying it.

Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
Unless you can prove the 'common criminal' is not your husband - you may be denied entry into Canada. You might want to locate some identifying info on this criminal [date of birth, if he is in prison or not, etc] so your hubby can prove he's not that guy.

Canada is pretty serious about letting criminals into the country.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Thanks everyone. The way you have presented the situation back to me, I do see how it comes across as "skirting" security which is definitely not what I want to do! It was about saving time since we know (so far our track record is 100%) my husband will receive an "X"......every immigration officer he has seen as a result of the "X" has told him it will continue to happen until he gets Global Entry, his name is too similar to someone on a criminal list.

On a side note, I may change our routing from Quebec City to JFK to instead fly through Montreal so we can pass through immigration in Canada to avoid it at JFK. Our layover in JFK is 4 hours but with the wait times for TSA I don't want to cut it close if our arrival into JFK is significantly delayed.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Unless you can prove the 'common criminal' is not your husband - you may be denied entry into Canada. You might want to locate some identifying info on this criminal [date of birth, if he is in prison or not, etc] so your hubby can prove he's not that guy.

Canada is pretty serious about letting criminals into the country.
Thanks for bringing up this point, it does make me wonder why he always gets an "X" at US immigration but crosses into Canada without a problem. He has been to Canada a bunch of times (at least 3 dozen) and hasn't had any issues with entering the country, either by car (Vancouver border) or by airplane.

Reactions: Joe Farrell
Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
Saw your reply - if its the travel watch list we are talking about - then he very definitely should get either GE [if you go over seas a lot] or at least a redress number from DHS. But if he's going to travel - just get GE and be done with it.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
GE is now on our To Do list.........but not in time for our trip to Montreal in a week! Thanks everyone for your input.