Delta won’t let me cancel/modify flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 28, 2020
In March, I Booked a round trip flight to Nashville using miles and $11.20. Due to the pandemic, our plans changed and I have been trying to change my flight. Delta won’t let me cancel online and their help center has hung up on me due to call volume. The flight is June 11, I would like to use the miles to another flight if possible.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
They ought to allow you to cancel the flight and receive the miles and fees back. This is usually for Platinum and Diamond members but everything I've read suggests it applies to tickets booked in March. What exactly does it say online? There are other ways to contact them, including via Twitter and via the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsn55 and Warren
Nov 22, 2019
Send them a message on Twitter, they replied pretty quickly (one-two days in March during the pandemic). They will ask reservation number as well as name, date, city pairs, date of birth if you want to save time and give it all at once. If you want to rebook a flight, do it there too so if they need to give you a favor and waive the fees, they are more likely to do it for a rebooking rather thana refund.

By not letting you cancel online, you mean that they want you to pay the re-deposit fee? or there is no option at all to cancel it?

May 28, 2020
Send them a message on Twitter, they replied pretty quickly (one-two days in March during the pandemic). They will ask reservation number as well as name, date, city pairs, date of birth if you want to save time and give it all at once. If you want to rebook a flight, do it there too so if they need to give you a favor and waive the fees, they are more likely to do it for a rebooking rather thana refund.

By not letting you cancel online, you mean that they want you to pay the re-deposit fee? or there is no option at all to cancel it?
They won’t let me cancel online at all. They say I have to call the customer service number. I call and of course it’s super busy from the pandemic cancellations.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
They won’t let me cancel online at all. They say I have to call the customer service number. I call and of course it’s super busy from the pandemic cancellations.
If you have Twitter you can contact them via Twitter Direct Message, or without Twitter l through the Delta app without calling. It's as good as calling and you can do other things while you're waiting for a reply. To use Twitter you need to enter your Twitter username in your Delta profile. I've done it myself in the past with good results.

Reactions: jsn55
Dec 12, 2014
A couple of weeks ago, I cancelled my points trip with minimal difficulty. I called & left a callback number, which resulted in a person calling me back within about 15 minutes.
One suggestion related to this is to make sure you aren't calling during peak times. Calling early (before 9 AM ET) or late (after 9 PM ET) usually results in much shorter wait times

Reactions: Skippy
May 30, 2019
In March, I Booked a round trip flight to Nashville using miles and $11.20. Due to the pandemic, our plans changed and I have been trying to change my flight. Delta won’t let me cancel online and their help center has hung up on me due to call volume. The flight is June 11, I would like to use the miles to another flight if possible.
Why won't they let you cancel online? Is there a system issue? Just asking as I was able to change a rewards flight online without issue.

May 16, 2016
Why won't they let you cancel online? Is there a system issue? Just asking as I was able to change a rewards flight online without issue.

If you've booked a nonrefundable fare ticket with points, it requires a manual override in the system to cancel and refund the ticket, if they'll actually give you a refund. You're only ENTITLED to a refund if the airline cancels the flight. If YOU cancel the flight, then you'll get an eCredit, which is basically the same thing as getting your miles back.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

If you've booked a nonrefundable fare ticket with points, it requires a manual override in the system to cancel and refund the ticket, if they'll actually give you a refund. You're only ENTITLED to a refund if the airline cancels the flight. If YOU cancel the flight, then you'll get an eCredit, which is basically the same thing as getting your miles back.
Wow, this level of complexity is WAY over my paygrade!