Cruise Insurance Not Transferable

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 8, 2020
My wife and I are having a rough time with Royal Caribbean International. In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, RC allowed us to cancel a cruise and apply the funds to a future cruise, and also refunded the taxes. However, the travel insurance, which we purchased from RC at the time of booking while onboard another cruise, will not be refunded or credited for future travel. This is absurd. We purchased it through RC, they have allowed us to sail at a later date, but they refuse to do anything about the insurance. The $148 premium for the insurance, which I never used, is now a 100% loss to me.

I wrote to RC and the company executives about this, and the response was to contact the insurance company, the Berkeley Group in Garden City, NY. The actual policy is with AON Affinity Travel Practice and Arch Insurance Co. I then wrote to the insurance company and they said no refund or transfer, and to contact the travel supplier!

I have been traveling with RC for many years, have achieved diamond status, and I cannot believe how RC is treating this matter. It is unbelievable that they continue to have their reputation blemished and sell insurance from this kind of company to their loyal customers.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
First off, you did use the insurance up until the point you cancelled the cruise. If you had gotten sick (or any other covered event) and needed to cancel the cruise prior to departure, you would have been covered. But, as RC stated, they are not the insurer. You may want to reach out to that company again and request that your policy be transferred to the new cruise dates. It is worth a shot, they can always say no but they may say yes.

May 30, 2019
I learned from my interactions with AON that they have a 10-day cancellation policy. After that, no refunds. I know it seems so @#%$ counter-intuitive, but it's like having car insurance but your car never leaves the driveway during the term. I think AON it directing you back to the travel supplier to see if they will provide a goodwill gesture. Hope this info helps & hope you get something back.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think that whomever is reviewing your request at RCI has it wrong. While technically Patina is correct, we've seen a trend in transferring policies from a cancelled cruise to a new trip during this pandemic. It doesn't make sense that RCI is treating a loyal customer this way, especially for such a miniscule amount. I think you might be a victim of their people being overwhelmed. Yes, RCI is technically not the insurer, but it's silly of them to tell you that "they're not involved". They have tremendous sway over the insurance company. RCI could pull its business anytime and give it to another company. Since you're under no time constraint I would wait until you're ready to book the new cruise, assuming you'll be doing that in the next few months. Before you book, contact the insurance company again, tell them your plans and ask them to transfer your existing policy to the new cruise. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Reactions: Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think that whomever is reviewing your request at RCI has it wrong. While technically Patina is correct, we've seen a trend in transferring policies from a cancelled cruise to a new trip during this pandemic. It doesn't make sense that RCI is treating a loyal customer this way, especially for such a miniscule amount. I think you might be a victim of their people being overwhelmed. Yes, RCI is technically not the insurer, but it's silly of them to tell you that "they're not involved". They have tremendous sway over the insurance company. RCI could pull its business anytime and give it to another company. Since you're under no time constraint I would wait until you're ready to book the new cruise, assuming you'll be doing that in the next few months. Before you book, contact the insurance company again, tell them your plans and ask them to transfer your existing policy to the new cruise. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.
Royal Caribbean is not refunding the insurance. I would advise you to use our company contacts and appeal to the
Executives. I don’t see why they can’t push the policy to your new cruise.

Jan 30, 2018
Just yesterday we were able to transfer a policy from Travelsafe - just medical and evacuation, not trip cancellation - to new tentative trip dates. So, some companies are allowing changes.

We could have gotten a cash refund if we had proof that we got a refund for the cruise. We have not gotten the refund from Princess yet, and it could be a good long time before we do, if ever. Therefore, we chose the transfer option.