• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Cruise Advice

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
True cautionary tale:

My former supervisor at my job was on a cruise with her husband when Hurricane Harvey hit. Their ship couldn't dock, so they ended up stranded on the ship for an extra week. I don't know if they had travel insurance to cover any extra costs they incurred. Hopefully they did.

I would highly reconsider a cruise during hurricane season. Or at least be sure to have good insurance.
Interesting story, Blossom. Other than a bar bill, not sure what kind of extra costs they faced. Would be interesting to learn if the cruise line assisted with rebooking flights home.

Reactions: Patina

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
We have sailed on NCL several times during the hurricane season. Everyone has given you excellent advise, but one more tip. Since you may have to change ports of call, my recommendation is do not book "off=ship" private excursions since you may not visit that stop and may not be able to get a refund. If you book thru the cruise line and they omit or change a port, you are guaranteed a refund.
Or just research who you book with. Everytime I book not with the cruise ship I only book with ones that offer a refund if the ship itinerary changes. Which is good to do all the time because plenty of things cause a ship to change itineraries beyond just hurricanes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Or just research who you book with. Everytime I book not with the cruise ship I only book with ones that offer a refund if the ship itinerary changes. Which is good to do all the time because plenty of things cause a ship to change itineraries beyond just hurricanes.
Very interesting subject, Lisa ... but I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to air or the cruise itself? I'd be most interested to know which cruise lines will refund if itineraries change.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Very interesting subject, Lisa ... but I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to air or the cruise itself? I'd be most interested to know which cruise lines will refund if itineraries change.
I was referring to excursions only. If you miss the port and book with the ship they'll refund it back to your on board account. The non-ship companies I've booked excursions with offer a refund too - though I believe you have to contact them for the refund. They also offer a return to ship guarantee that the cruise ships offer too.

There are some insurance plans that will give you a payout if ports change, but only in certain states.