Claim for stolen phone

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 27, 2017
On 11/27/16 We returned to our hotel room from breakfast and found housekeeping had left our door wide open with a cart in front of it, but no one was in the room.

This is a problem for three reasons:

1) we requested late checkout; housekeeping should not have been in our room. Front desk and housekeeper supervisor confirmed this was documented on housekeeping schedule.

2) the door was left wide open with no employee around. it took us over 10 minutes to find the employee who had opened the room and left it open. She was MIA. I have no idea how long the room was unmanned before we got there.

3) When we couldn’t find our phone, we checked “find my iPhone” and confirmed the phone was on hotel property. Then we sent a sound ping to locate the phone, but before we could hear the sound someone turned the phone off. After the phone was turned off, the employee was showed up.

We are Marriott Premier Members, staying in Marriott hotels over 180 nights per year. We stay in this particular property at > 10 times per year. We've always had great care. But, in this case, there was no service. There was no manager on duty to help resolve this problem. We asked if we could file a claim report, they said they didn't have one. Nobody could offer any help than "sorry about that have a nice day safe travels..."

We called the police and filed a police report. It took several days to get a return call from the local property manager. He said he would look into it. We have been waiting for resolution to this theft from Marriott for months. No word. I have followed up repeatedly. A couple of weeks ago, I heard back from the general manager, Anthony Cruz, and he said "corporate has decided not to offer compensation."

I understand under normal circumstances, hotels aren't typically liable for stolen property. But, I researched and there are exceptions to this rule. For example, if the hotel failed to exercise reasonable care in protecting your property, like failing to secure doors, hallways, or parking lots, the hotel could be liable for the full value of your property. Or, employee negligence. In this case, it was both.

At this point, I had no other recourse. I sent an email to every corporate Marriott email I could find and filed a complaint with the better business bureau. We were seeking compensation for stolen property due to staff and security negligence.

It took diligence and patience, but I'm happy to report that after three months the issue has been resolved! It was like trying to break out of an escape room, but once we figured out the puzzle, we finally got through to the right person, they actually read the police report, filed a claim last week and we received a check yesterday.

I am not a nasty, disgruntled customer. I am a frequent traveler, long time exclusive Marriott Hotels brand customers and frequent guests at the Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer property. We understand the protocols hotels have to put in place to prevent fraud. We totally get it. But, this was an exceptional case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kem, if you are staying at a Marriott property six months a year, they should be MUCH more responsive to your stolen phone, especially since it was caused by housekeeping's negligence. I suspect that had you put this all in writing to customer service you would have gotten that good news immediately.

We always suggest that emails are a much better mode of communication than the phone. An email to customer service will get read by people who are trained to take care of problems. The staff at individual hotels, not so much.

Had this happened to me, with my things in a wide-open room, I would have raised such havoc at the corporate level they'd all be under their desks. There is no excuse for a maid to ever do such a careless thing. I would hope you send corporate a report on what transpired here ... they need to get that hotel up to speed on how to deal with their guests and their guests' possessions.

Feb 27, 2017
Kem, if you are staying at a Marriott property six months a year, they should be MUCH more responsive to your stolen phone, especially since it was caused by housekeeping's negligence. I suspect that had you put this all in writing to customer service you would have gotten that good news immediately.

We always suggest that emails are a much better mode of communication than the phone. An email to customer service will get read by people who are trained to take care of problems. The staff at individual hotels, not so much.

Had this happened to me, with my things in a wide-open room, I would have raised such havoc at the corporate level they'd all be under their desks. There is no excuse for a maid to ever do such a careless thing. I would hope you send corporate a report on what transpired here ... they need to get that hotel up to speed on how to deal with their guests and their guests' possessions.

I did put it in writing, but was working with the local manager. I wanted to give them a chance to fix the problem before I went over their head. But, ultimately, that's what I did. And, yes. I did document everything.

Reactions: jsn55

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
....Just as an aside tip -- when ever I don't want housekeeping in my room while I am out I use the ever present 'Do Not Disturb' sign. Then there should be no misunderstanding about anyone opening the door for any reason.

Reactions: sas80
Feb 9, 2016
....Just as an aside tip -- when ever I don't want housekeeping in my room while I am out I use the ever present 'Do Not Disturb' sign. Then there should be no misunderstanding about anyone opening the door for any reason.
I can see where LW relied on the fact that they had selected late checkout, and counted on that so that no one would be in the room - but I agree, better to leave that tag hanging!

Reactions: John Galbraith

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I'm very happy your situation was resolved, even though it took a lengthy time for that to happen. I'm in agreement, though, that going to Corporate Customer Service as soon as the local hotel could not assist would have been my plan. BTW, we're Marriott Elite and have stayed at this Courtyard. It's a lovely hotel.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm very happy your situation was resolved, even though it took a lengthy time for that to happen. I'm in agreement, though, that going to Corporate Customer Service as soon as the local hotel could not assist would have been my plan. BTW, we're Marriott Elite and have stayed at this Courtyard. It's a lovely hotel.
Did I miss something? Resolved?

Feb 9, 2016
Did I miss something? Resolved?
yes you did! LW posted her scenario and the fact that they solved it themselves
At this point, I had no other recourse. I sent an email to every corporate Marriott email I could find and filed a complaint with the better business bureau. We were seeking compensation for stolen property due to staff and security negligence.

It took diligence and patience, but I'm happy to report that after three months the issue has been resolved! It was like trying to break out of an escape room, but once we figured out the puzzle, we finally got through to the right person, they actually read the police report, filed a claim last week and we received a check yesterday.

I am not a nasty, disgruntled customer. I am a frequent traveler, long time exclusive Marriott Hotels brand customers and frequent guests at the Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer property. We understand the protocols hotels have to put in place to prevent fraud. We totally get it. But, this was an exceptional case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kem, I just assumed that you had hung the DnotD sign when you left the room. Is that not the case? That makes a huge difference in the story.

I agree with mmb, housekeeping is never allowed in my hotel room. I've discussed this with a couple of hotel executives and they do the same thing when they travel. I don't feel that housekeeping people are properly vetted when they're hired. Kem's story proves my point, the woman who took his i-phone probably knew she was going to quit the next day. Hanging up your towels and spreading up the bed takes at least 3 minutes every morning.