Claim by Amazon retailer that their listing was hacked and altered

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Amazon will make it right if you are a customer in good standing, which I assume you are.

the other alternative is to return the item and get a full refund
The issue with Amazon, per my original posting, is not to "make it right" for this purchased item, but the claim of the vendor that their Amazon listing was altered by third parties. Several other posters on this forum also claim this alteration happens to their Amazon listings. Amazon has been provided the claim of the vendor that was involved in the order in question, as well as the others posted to this forum, that listings are altered or hacked. Amazon has not responded to this claim other than the initial denial. If Amazon listings are hackable, as claimed by several posters, then there is a bigger problem than this mundane order.

Feb 9, 2016
Google reveals that it appears to be a real thing, based on actual sellers complaining about it.
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=286119&tstart=0

Yes, amazon seller pages can get hacked and misinformation can get posted. However, we have to ask you what is your desired resolution in this situation?

If the answer to that question is " for Amazon to correct these technical issues/bugs/backdoors, so this doesn't occur again" I am not sure that is something we can successfully advocate. Amazon is going to have to care about that situation enough to change it.

In as much as it is the principal of the matter, a reasonable resolution would be to make you whole. If you have a screen shot of the order placed, or your emailed receipt showing quantity ordered and price, open a ticket with amazon and claim that your order wasn't fulfilled, and stand on that receipt, asking for the order to be fulfilled.

IIRC, by way of contract law, the supplier has (only) an obligation to fulfill the contract/make you whole. Either they ship you the product or return your money.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Weihlac, if you haven't heard anything since then, it's time to move up to the executives we have listed.

Move to the first executive we show and escalate. Tell him or her it's been 8 days and you haven't heard anything and would like to escalate this for an answer.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Google reveals that it appears to be a real thing, based on actual sellers complaining about it.
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=286119&tstart=0

Yes, amazon seller pages can get hacked and misinformation can get posted. However, we have to ask you what is your desired resolution in this situation?

If the answer to that question is " for Amazon to correct these technical issues/bugs/backdoors, so this doesn't occur again" I am not sure that is something we can successfully advocate. Amazon is going to have to care about that situation enough to change it.

In as much as it is the principal of the matter, a reasonable resolution would be to make you whole. If you have a screen shot of the order placed, or your emailed receipt showing quantity ordered and price, open a ticket with amazon and claim that your order wasn't fulfilled, and stand on that receipt, asking for the order to be fulfilled.

IIRC, by way of contract law, the supplier has (only) an obligation to fulfill the contract/make you whole. Either they ship you the product or return your money.
I find this statement interesting; "I am not sure that is something we can successfully advocate. Amazon is going to have to care about that situation enough to change it."
Amazon (495B) has a market cap that is 10-100+ times the market cap of Hertz (1.3B), United (21B) etc, but you feel this is not something you can successfully advocate. Wouldn't it be worth a try since the potential effect on consumers dwarfs the other "minor" companies you spend time on?

"Founded in 1997 by consumer advocate and journalist Christopher Elliott, its goal is to empower consumers to solve their service problems and to help those who can’t."

As an individual, Amazon has no interest in dealing with my question. You, in theory, have some clout. I can run this issue up the list of company contacts and they may deal with my specific issue, but that will not necessarily address the larger issue of an insecure Amazon.com site. Suppose you ordered 2 X something that costs $2000 ea. and get one with the same excuse from the retailer that their ad that showed 2 items and said they would send two was hacked, and then multiply by 1000's.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is how this site works- we give you the tools to advocate your case yourself.

That means using our company contacts to go up the corporate chain and if going up the executive chain doesn't work then our writers will look at your case and let you know if it is something they can look at.

You haven't finished advocating for yourself. You need to go all company way up to the CEO and you haven't gone to the first executive yet.

Please take the advice I have you anove and write to the first executive shown on our company contacts. Give him a week
thren write to the next, repeat weekly.

After you have gone through all the executives, if you don't have an answer let us know and we'll tell you the final step to take.

Feb 9, 2016
After the consumer has fully advocated on their own behalf, we have had very little success getting amazon to reply to inquiries we make on behalf of those same consumers.

We've been more successful googling for information in order to advise the consumer how to advocate the situation.

I've never been told this directly, but I assume the reason for the lack of communication is that Amazon doesn't feel it has to justify it's business decisions, models and practices to 'us'.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
After the consumer has fully advocated on their own behalf, we have had very little success getting amazon to reply to inquiries we make on behalf of those same consumers.

We've been more successful googling for information in order to advise the consumer how to advocate the situation.

I've never been told this directly, but I assume the reason for the lack of communication is that Amazon doesn't feel it has to justify its business decisions, models and practices to 'us'.
Here is the expected Amazon reply:

Message From Executive Customer Relations
Hello Albert C Weihl,

I'm Ilene Dara of Amazon.com's Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email, and I'm responding on his behalf.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us and making us aware of this situation. While I can certainly appreciate your desire to know what happened to the seller's account, I'm sure you can understand that such information is privileged and can only be discussed with the account holder. We value every customer's and seller's privacy and security, and for that reason, we do not share information with anyone else.

We are constantly reviewing the accuracy and quality of the listings on all of our pages; I'm glad this one has been resolved.

Thank you again for writing, we hope to see you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,
Ilene Dara
Executive Customer Relations

Nov 14, 2016

Hello Albert C Weihl,

I'm Ilene Dara of Amazon.com's Executive Customer Relations. Jeff Bezos received your email, and I'm responding on his behalf.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us and making us aware of this situation. While I can certainly appreciate your desire to know what happened to the seller's account, I'm sure you can understand that such information is privileged and can only be discussed with the account holder. We value every customer's and seller's privacy and security, and for that reason, we do not share information with anyone else.

We are constantly reviewing the accuracy and quality of the listings on all of our pages; I'm glad this one has been resolved.

Best regards,
Ilene Dara
It's nice to know that Amazon is looking at this and does not share confidential information with outside parties.

You were offered a discount or a return. Which did you accept?

Feb 9, 2016

Hello Albert C Weihl,

Best regards,
Ilene Dara
Exactly. Form letter. No real content revealed/contained in that letter.

Do you still see the seller listed on the Amazon site?

Nov 14, 2016
Exactly. Form letter. No real content revealed/contained in that letter.

Do you still see the seller listed on the Amazon site?
With all due respect, what does it matter? Whether the seller is allowed to continue to offer products isn't the concern here. If they are, then perhaps Amazon has heard of cases of passwords being compromised even if it seems quite uncommon to most of us. Maybe this helps Amazon identify security holes in their own system. But whether they are allowed to list is a sideline that doesn't further a resolution to this case. Our mandate does not extend to demanding that Amazon create total consumer transparency in their dealings with resellers, nor is that a desirable aim.

To quote your post above, we still don't have an answer to a very key question of "what is your desired resolution in this situation?" weihlac has been offered a refund or a discount which is an acceptable solution. I'm curious to know which one they took because that's the resolution to their particular case.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well you have now gone all the way up to Bezos so you have to make a decision on which of the choices they gave you that you are going to accept.

Please lets us know which one you choose.

Feb 9, 2016
With all due respect, what does it matter? Whether the seller is allowed to continue to offer products isn't the concern here. If they are, then perhaps Amazon has heard of cases of passwords being compromised even if it seems quite uncommon to most of us. Maybe this helps Amazon identify security holes in their own system. But whether they are allowed to list is a sideline that doesn't further a resolution to this case. Our mandate does not extend to demanding that Amazon create total consumer transparency in their dealings with resellers, nor is that a desirable aim.

To quote your post above, we still don't have an answer to a very key question of "what is your desired resolution in this situation?" weihlac has been offered a refund or a discount which is an acceptable solution. I'm curious to know which one they took because that's the resolution to their particular case.
hey now... I'm totally just curious. Didn't mean to cause you to get stirred or anything....

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
So didn't you just answer your own question? Return it and make sure the seller pays for your postage- you shouldn't have to pay to return it.
The question in this thread was not about the price of an item, whether it was $25, $250 or $2500, or postage for return etc. The question involved a vendor who advertised a package of two items, sent only one, and then claimed that his listing was altered or hacked by others. The vendor then invoked the SODDI defense (Some Other Dude Did It), and made his problem with his Amazon listing my problem by refusing to honor his listing. My hope was to find data/evidence to support or refute the vendors claim that the Amazon site is insecure and that listings are easily hacked. There have been anecdotes posted by other vendors in this forum claiming, again without data/evidence, that listings can be altered by third parties. Amazon has sent a flat denial of these claims. I am not in a position to investigate this, but will now see if a national news organization would like to pursue it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But you understand that Amazon has told you your options. I understand that you are upset about this but according to several other links to stories, this is a known issue with Amazon and apparently they are not forcing this seller to stand behind the sale. (Maybe I'm a dope but to me that shows that there very well might be hacking that they are aware of). There IS evidence from the posts other made that this IS a problem.

So if Jeff Bezos says no, you have little choice -they are not going to do anything else but offer you the refund.

But the shoe on the other foot. What if you were a seller and your account was hacked. Wouldn't you want Amazon to back you up?

You have the definitive answer from Amazon - they aren't going to do anything else but offer you those options. We can't do anything further at this point. Amazon has never responded to us on anything we have tried to escalate. They apparently don't believe they need to answer to anyone. I wish we could give you more ideas, but this is just how Amazon works.

Status
Not open for further replies.