Chase Ultimate Rewards won't give me back my money even after confirming their mistake

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 3, 2019
I found out about this website from reddit and I wanted to try my luck by posting over here as well.

Apologies in advance for wall of text.

I purchased a flight from NY to Toronto back in April for a wedding, realizing I have enough points, I purchased it through Ultimate Rewards.
A few days before the flight, I realized I may not make the early flight time of (9am) I called up Chase Ultimate Rewards to see if I can change my flight to another one on the same day but later that night. The agent I spoke with said that is fine and I just need to pay the change fee of $126.70 which I said that is reasonable so she processed it and I hung up.

The next day I received an email from Chase saying that my flight is "not confirmed" and my previous flight reservation was canceled. I specifically asked Chase not to touch my return flight since that was completely fine, but now my entire prior reservation was canceled.
Of course I called up Ultimate Rewards to complain about getting rid of my entire flight. I spoke with a supervisor and she managed to get me on the same flight that I originally wanted to change to in the first place, but she said that my return flight is full and I would need to return the next day on Monday instead of Sunday, my original return time.

She also specifically said that since it was due to their error, they would only charge me the original price that I was quoted of $126.70 and she specifically stated that Chase Ultimate Rewards would cover the difference since it was due to their error.

So I went and came back and everything was as planned until I see a charge from Westjet, the airline that I flew for $722 and change. Of course I was super upset, and I called up Chase and they put it under investigation and I spoke with at least 6 different supervisors to try and resolve my case but it went on over a month now. I called every week to check the status. They told me they need to listen to the recordings of the calls and will get back to me.

So tonight, I received an email from them saying that "we have completed our investigation and have made the following determination. During your recent call with us, it was confirmed that your original flights booked on April 26 were not available in the class of service you originally purchased. One of our supervisors provided you with this information and stated that there would be no extra charge other than the $126.70 for the exchange, While we are unable to provide the requested compensation, please be assured we value you as a customer and appreciate your business, we regret we are unable to provide you with a more favorable response at this time."

What the heck, am I shit out of luck? For a flight that was kinda free(points) to being charged $722.25, I'm super peeved and extra dose of peeving for this result taking over a month. Can I file a chargeback even though it wasn't Westjet that messed up?

Thanks in advance and apologies again for mass text.

May 1, 2018
Did any of your communication with Chase take place in writing? Did you receive follow up confirmation emails as a result of any of your phone calls with them?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
Did any of your communication with Chase take place in writing? Did you receive follow up confirmation emails as a result of any of your phone calls with them?
@DanD -Why would he need written confirmation of the conversation that Chase has admitted was exactly as he said it was - in an email? Actually, their email makes no sense.
@shinboxx - Since there is no ‘reason’ given for not being able to reimburse you, use the email (with their admission) and reference the recorded conversation in a letter to an executive @ Chase
OR
Dispute the finding.
Chase used to be a great advocate for the consumer and now seems to side with the vendor, often confusingly.

Jun 3, 2019
Hey everyone,

I appreciate the advice given. At first I was pretty concerned with Chase working with them through the phone. Halfway through I emailed them to start a paper trail and luckily for the most part they have confirmed everything that was stated in the final email.

It's just weird for their final email to be basically be, we have confirmed your story but we can't do anything about it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have since filed a complaint with the CFPB, hopefully that will resolve the issue. Playing the waiting game at the moment.

Sep 19, 2015
Do not file a chargeback you will lose and Westjet did not mess this up.

Start writing to Chase their rewards program messed this up

Jun 3, 2019
I agree, this doesn't seem to be Westjet's fault and should fall on Chase Ultimate Rewards. Unfortunately I have emailed them and that was their response after a month of investigating.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I agree, this doesn't seem to be Westjet's fault and should fall on Chase Ultimate Rewards. Unfortunately I have emailed them and that was their response after a month of investigating.
You need to move up the chain with Chase: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/chase-jpmorgan-chase-bank/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

You spent wasted time on the phone getting inconsistent answers. It is time to put everything in writing (email) and go up the chain.
A chargeback is a bad idea and you would lose, probably ending any chance you might still have to get this resolved by Chase.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Jun 3, 2019
Thank you everyone. Since I already filed a complaint with the CFPB, I'll wait for them to respond before trying anything else. I appreciate everybody's assistance.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The CFPB is unlikely to resolve your issue, and certainly unlikely to resolve it quickly (it is the government and it is NOT here to help you). You should pursue the Chase contact chain instead of waiting.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
The CFPB is unlikely to resolve your issue, and certainly unlikely to resolve it quickly (it is the government and it is NOT here to help you). You should pursue the Chase contact chain instead of waiting.
I agree. Their tentacles don’t reach very far at all.
Ultimate Rewards is not a credit card, just a program within the CC.
Unless they have voluntarily opted into the program (fat chance) CFPB won’t touch the case.
It will take you several weeks to hear this from them, as per my experience.

Jun 3, 2019
With everyone's encouragement I have decided to email up the chain for Chase. As mmb stated this is a Chase Ultimate Rewards issue, I guess I should give Deborah Walden, the EVP of Customer Experience of Chase Card Services. Any tips on how to write my email? parts to emphasize? Thanks again everyone

Jun 3, 2019
Thank you for that resource Neil, since I have been through the customer service already and spoken with multiple supervisors that escalated my issues I'm going to email the executive in the previous link given above. I will tailor my complaint according to the template and hope it gets resolved. I will post updates on my situation as I see them.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@shinboxx if you would like to post your email here prior to sending we can help critique. If you do, please remove any personally identifying information and confirmation numbers since this is a public forum.

Jun 3, 2019
The email I wrote is for the most part similar to my opening post on this thread, it seems kinda long but I feel like the details might be necessary. I look forward to the critiques.

Dear Deborah Walden
My name is [Redacted] and I have been a loyal Chase customer for almost a decade , but I am emailing to express a major disappointment in how my customer service issue has been handled recently.

I purchased a flight to Toronto on January 23rd 2019 using my Ultimate Rewards points. The trip was supposed to be Apr 26, 2019 - Apr 28, 2019 for WestJet flight 1205 LGA to YYZ at 9:59am and return YYZ to LGA WESTJET flight 1210 at 4:15pm.

A few days before my flight, realizing I might not be able to make the early flight time, I called Chase Ultimate Rewards to see how much it would cost to change my flight to the same day, but later that night instead.

The representative that I spoke with said it would be $126.70. I thought the price was reasonable so I went ahead with the change
I received an email the next day from Chase saying that my original flight reservation has been canceled and my new reservation has not been confirmed.

I contacted Chase Ultimate Rewards and a supervisor was able to book me on the flight I wanted but the return flight was sold out so I had to return the next day on the 29th of April. The supervisor stated that since this was an error on Chase’s end, I would only be charged the original $126.70 quoted and that Chase would cover the difference.

After I returned from the trip I saw the charge on my card was not $126.70 but $722.25. This prompted calls to Chase Ultimate Rewards and then escalated to supervisors that informed me that they would need to conduct an investigation and listen to the recorded calls to which I agreed to.

I waited over a month for an update and called every week to check the status and I finally received a email back from Chase stating the following:
“We have completed our investigation and have made the following determination. During your recent call with us, it was confirmed that your original flights booked on April 26 were not available in the class of service you originally purchased. One of our supervisors provided you with this information and stated that there would be no extra charge other than the $126.70 for the exchange, While we are unable to provide the requested compensation, please be assured we value you as a customer and appreciate your business, we regret we are unable to provide you with a more favorable response at this time."

To resolve the problem, I would appreciate if Chase would credit me back the difference and charge me the correct amount that was originally quoted. There was no mention of $722.25 at anytime during booking/changing process. I would not have agreed to the change if I had known it would be $722.25 to change my flight.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait [set a time limit] before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me at the above address or by phone [home or office numbers with area codes].
Sincerely,
[Your Name]
[Account Number]

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Put your issues into a bulleted list, not paragraphs.
Leave out the deadline, and the threat "seeking third-party assistance."
"Seeking third-party assistance" is lawyer speak; it will reduce their willingness to deal with you.
Do you want this resolved quickly or do you simply want this resolved? Since the issues you have are in the past there is no urgency. Let them take their time.
Also, you DO NOT want them to call you. You need to keep all of your communication via email. They may call you and leave a message and then you will play phone tag, wasting their time and yours. Once they call you and leave a message their job is over and you will have to chase them down.

Jun 3, 2019
I saw that on the template and thought it was kinda aggressive, thanks for confirming that. I will remove my phone number from the email and organize the events in bullet form. I just want it resolved and if they need to take the their time I'm all for it.

Sep 19, 2015
Does the Chase ultimate rewards use Expedia as a booking engine?

This is what I think happened. Chase did not live inventory — so the airline rejected the second later reservation because already oversold. The computer read round trip ticket — except there was no round trip as the outbound flight was not confirmed. So computer system cancelled the return.

I am not sure if it would be the booking system or Air Canada that cancelled the return. When the op was put back on the flights only more expensive fares were left —- the Chase system was not able to reinstate the previous booking.

What a mess.

Better to leave off the mention of third party assistance

Reactions: mschlick