CardCash.com drained my Delta gift cards

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2016
If I had not read the posts in this forum, I also could have been another unsuspecting customer of CashCard.com. Genize - I am so sorry what happened to you. Thank you for posting your story as it serves as a learning tool for many people who come to the Elliott forums.

Reactions: PMT, mmb and Nancy

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What's the opinion on buying, say, a restaurant gift card from the supermarket? Do y'all think that they might have the same issues as buying one from a discount house on the internet? Funny thing is that this would be the first time I ever wanted to buy a gift card and now I'm concerned about it.

Nov 3, 2015
What's the opinion on buying, say, a restaurant gift card from the supermarket? Do y'all think that they might have the same issues as buying one from a discount house on the internet? Funny thing is that this would be the first time I ever wanted to buy a gift card and now I'm concerned about it.

There are ways to drain supermarket gift cards, too: e.g: http://www.scambusters.org/giftcard.html

If you're going to buy them, buy from a trustworthy source that will back them up, and keep your receipts. Spend promptly.

That said, I do buy gift cards at places like Costco where the actual card is kept securely away from the public before sale, and I find them of good value for personal use -- when I can buy two movie passes or a splurge restaurant meal just before I use them. Buying a gift card on a secondary market gives me the cauld grues.

Here's my story of the Gift Card Blues, though... a friend in another country had a gift card to a local small restaurant sent to me for my birthday. Two days after the gift card arrived in the mail, the restaurant burned to the ground. They had a catering operation out of another kitchen, however, and the owner allowed me to redeem my restaurant gift card in barbeque. <g>

Reactions: jsn55

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Well, the supermarket is one step safer than online 3rd parties. Another approach is an e-giftcard directly from Apple, Amazon, etc. That said, scams or problems are possible though I've never personally had a problem (knock on wood).

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well, the supermarket is one step safer than online 3rd parties. Another approach is an e-giftcard directly from Apple, Amazon, etc. That said, scams or problems are possible though I've never personally had a problem (knock on wood).
My wife is actually going on her way to buy a supermarket gift for a charity. I told her to make sure she examines the pin code to make sure it hasn't been tampered with before she buys thanks to this.

Dec 9, 2016
Idaho
www.travelimages.com
For future reference and simplification, avoid any website that has the word *'cash' or *'money' in the domain name.

Secondly, whoever the retailer is do due diligence by doing an online search of the business name or website.

I get way beyond 'miffed' when reading about such scammers!

* Oh, and add 'cheap' to those two. [Thanks Neil!]

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For future reference and simplification, avoid any website that has the word 'cash' or 'money' in the domain name.

Secondly, whoever the retailer is do due diligence by doing an online search of the business name or website.

I get way beyond 'miffed' when reading about such scammers!
Add Cheap the other two you mention.

Jul 27, 2016
I use gift card resale sites with some frequency, but only to buy cards for a purchase I have planned in the near future, and when I can get a significant discount.

Dec 15, 2016
You should write to the Attorney General in your state and file a complaint.

How can they have only a 45 day guarantee? Do they resell the ones you haven't used? I have never heard of something like this.

It is beyond me that anyone would trust buying a gift certificate off these websites. If you are buying someone else's card, they have access to the card number and password. This is such an easy scam to pull!
Thank you so much for your helpful response !

I just finished my consumer complaint in the State of Oregon where I live.
I still cannot believe how I did not notice the "red flag" with their "45-day-buyer-fraud-protection" guarantee.
And yes, I guess this time of year everyone can use a discount, especially for travel, and fall for a scam like this !
Well.... what a surprise - VICTORY !!!

I just received an email from the Department of Justice in my state of Oregon that CardCash has replied to their inquiry and will send a check for a full refund.

I will further update when I receive the check !

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good for you. If they are only guaranteeing 45 days something is wrong and they should be putting that in big bold letters on their receipts and telling people to use them right away.

Glad it worked.

Dec 15, 2016
As promised an update:

After several reminders by the DOJ to CardCash, I finally received the check in the mail yesterday. I do not expect a bounce.

Persistence pays off ! and this is an encouragement to all CardCash buyers who lost the value of their purchased gift cards.
And please, if you do buy their GCs, make sure to use them right away.

Many Thanks to all who assisted me with their valuable advise !!!

PMT

Feb 15, 2016
MIA
Let's see if the AG's office is willing to take it on... they can be pretty tenacious. If I were closer to Salem, I'd consider volunteering there on the consumer hotline.

I did a little digging with the wayback machine. Comparing the page on the buyer guarantee for 2- March 2015 (https://web.archive.org/web/20150329112819/https://www.cardcash.com/guarantee/) you see this section:
Buyer Guarantee
When you purchase any gift card from CardCash, we guarantee you will receive the gift card. We also guarantee the gift card(s) will be valid at the retailer for the dollar amount specified on your order until 45 days after you received your order. We recommend you use the gift cards right away so we can fully back the cards. (I added the underlines to the last sentence).

Looking at the same page today, it also says much the same thing, but in bigger type and more emphasis on 45 days only: (https://www.cardcash.com/guarantee/)
BUYER GUARANTEE:
When you purchase any gift card from CardCash, we guarantee you will receive the gift card. We guarantee protection against gift card fraud and unscrupulous gift card sellers when used within our 45 day policy. We recommend you use the gift cards right away so we can fully back the cards. We guarantee that all card balance discrepancies reported to us within 45 days of the purchase date will be fully refunded.

BBB was prominently mentioned on the website in 2015; doesn't appear there today, for whatever that's worth.
Also noticed change from "after you receive your order" to "purchase date"

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
If you (the consumer) discovers the giftcards are fraudulent and contact the giftcard reseller, they in turn have to initiate a chargeback with the original seller of the giftcards within 60 days. (There's a dizzying array of time limits between the bank, merchant, and consumer). I'm speculating the resellers impose a 45-day deadline so they have time to act within the 60 days. Otherwise they're left holding the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.