Car Rental Breakdown

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

KBM

Oct 25, 2019
I am just wondering what is reasonable to expect from a rental car company when the car breaks down 100 miles from the pick up site. We rented from Hertz in Las Vegas and drove to Bullhead City, AZ. About 20 miles from Bullhead City, the car went into "limp" mode. We were in the high desert mountains, no cell phone service, few other cars around. Fortunately we made it to my brothers ok. Hertz first asked us to drive the car back to Las Vegas, even though I explained the car could not make it. Then they wanted us to drive back to Las Vegas with a tow truck driver. I felt that was rather dangerous and not a good option. After being on the phone most of the day with Hertz, not being able to spend time with my brothers who were only available for 2 days, being told to pick up a car in Bullhead City when that location had none and they told Hertz they had no cars, a new car was finally "towed" to us and they picked up the broken one. They said it was against policy for them to drive a another car to us. I am going to write them, but I wondered if this is what we should expect from all rental car companies. They never even apologized for us losing a full day of our vacation and time with family. I did respond to their customer survey and explained all this, but of course, heard nothing. Thank you!

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I'd be more concerned whether Hertz is going to come after you for damages. Keep an eye on your credit card. Did you take any pictures of the damage or the dashboard readouts when the car started breaking down? Did Hertz give you any paperwork when you swapped the car?

Reactions: KBM and VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
They said it was against policy for them to drive a another car to us. I am going to write them, but I wondered if this is what we should expect from all rental car companies.
Our closest rental location, which is an Enterprise agency states the same. But, they do offer to pick us up and drive us to the location for a rental.

Reactions: KBM