Bank of America

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
I am blaming the bank because they are LYING. Denying a claim saying the the ATM cash transaction were consistent with prior activity on my account. That is clearly a lie and all bank statements show I have never did ATM cash transactions. SO I do blame the bank for it's unethical handling of this claim. A bank should not lie to deny a claim.
Four withdrawals on consecutive days sounds like a pattern. Because you disagree with what they said does not mean that they are lying. Someone got your PIN and you need to do a thorough reassessment of your financial and online security. Again, there are BofA contacts on this website who are above the initial level of customer service. If you're interested in ranting, you've been successful. If you are interested in fixing a problem, you can try to write to them one at a time, waiting a week or two before moving up the chain if there is no response. I would refrain from saying that they are lying and unethical. Insulting someone who is trying to help is not the way to go.

Jun 24, 2019
As Neil suggested, use the B of A contacts to see if you can elevate this dispute to secure the Bank's assistance in determining who stole your money.

In so doing, I would urge you to stay away from arguing that the Bank lied. Even if the statements you attribute to the bank were lies, that's not the cause of your financial loss. Someone got your ATM card (or a copy) and your PIN, and stole your money. Focus on that, not on what some CSR may have said, because what the CSR said is not the problem you are trying to fix.

May 11, 2020
Four withdrawals on consecutive days sounds like a pattern. Because you disagree with what they said does not mean that they are lying. Someone got your PIN and you need to do a thorough reassessment of your financial and online security. Again, there are BofA contacts on this website who are above the initial level of customer service. If you're interested in ranting, you've been successful. If you are interested in fixing a problem, you can try to write to them one at a time, waiting a week or two before moving up the chain if there is no response. I would refrain from saying that they are lying and unethical. Insulting someone who is trying to help is not the way to go.
I am not saying anyone on this board is lying or unethical. Bank of America has lied and in my opinion is acting unethical. The bank send me a letter denying the claim because the daily ATM activity was consistent with the use of my card. That is a lie. Why? I have never ever used my card at an ATM for cash. What else would you label that as? A statement of truth? Every statement in the history of my account has never had an ATM transaction. Having a bank tell you that ATM transactions is normal on your account when you know it is not is clearly a lie. Do you think banks are all honest? Not me!

Also I have contacted the chain of command and they refuse to answer my questions. Is that professional? To me the silence tells me they know what they did was wrong.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you used our contacts, did you write to the executives one at a time, per this thread?

May 11, 2020
When you used our contacts, did you write to the executives one at a time, per this thread?

Yes sir! And they then closed my account.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you followed our recommendations on how to write and have your paper trail, when you used our help form, was there any indication that they could look into this?

You can file a new help request and state you followed all the recommendations and received no assistance. The advocates will ask for your paper trail and if they think they can help, will let you know.

Reactions: Skippy
May 11, 2020
Well, if you told them they were liars and were unethical, you shouldn't expect any communication. What you're referring to as a lie seems to me a mistake made by the bank.
I brought the issue to their attention and the remained on the same issue of why they denied the claim. I am not candy coating the shady way Bank of America likes to operate. A lie is a lie. In the end I plan to make sure they pay for their lies. If you think these big banks are innocent then maybe you should google Bank of America and read what thousands of others have to say about them.

May 11, 2020
If you followed our recommendations on how to write and have your paper trail, when you used our help form, was there any indication that they could look into this?

You can file a new help request and state you followed all the recommendations and received no assistance. The advocates will ask for your paper trail and if they think they can help, will let you know.
No indication of help!

Nov 22, 2019
I brought the issue to their attention and the remained on the same issue of why they denied the claim. I am not candy coating the shady way Bank of America likes to operate. A lie is a lie. In the end I plan to make sure they pay for their lies. If you think these big banks are innocent then maybe you should google Bank of America and read what thousands of others have to say about them.
I do not like BoA much and closed my account with them. However, it is not a lie from them. The transactions were seemed as consistent with previous transactions because "consistent" for an algorithm is very very limited. A human could tell there is a pattern but for not a suspect one. I guess that $500 ATM withdrawal is not uncommon.
It is your responsability to manage your account and the banks are providing tools for this (notification by email, app, text, dual authentification, and I think that some of them are by default), we also have ID theft insurance just in case. People lock their house, sometimes have security systems (very expensive and I find them waste of money), we should do the same for our online identities nowadays, unfortunately.

If you want to resolve this issue, I suggest dropping the lie part, not trying to convince them that the transaction was not consistent with previous transactions, and focus more on how the money was stolen. Was your debit card lost and used at the ATM? Or was it compromized in a store somewhere, like a gas station, and used without being physically there? Did you secure your other cards or change them? Did you check your statements and notive previous suspiscious transactions, at small amounts?

If you work on this line, maybe they will be more helpful. You can reach out to FTC and consumerfinance if you think BoA is not doing enough to investigate the origin of the fraud.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Bank of American allowed my checking account debit card to be used daily at ATMs until the account was almost to zero. ....... Furthermore, the ATM my card was used at for these transaction occurred at Bank of America branch locations and the bank never bothered to pull the video footage.

Can you confirm the thief drained cash from your account using physical BofA ATM's ? If so they needed BOTH your physical debit card AND your PIN. Any idea how they obtained both? It may be an important clue in making an effective case (or unfortunately no case depending on what happened). BofA ATM's use "chip and PIN" technology so it's almost impossible the thief obtained your card # and PIN then "cloned" a physical card to use at the ATM.

Did you ever use your card at a store, gas pump, etc? They are the most common source of card "skimming" but even then they are only good for retail or online purchases. Did you have a second "extra" card sitting in a kitchen or dresser drawer that a guest or worker in your house took? Or, did you main card go missing from your wallet? Do you use your PIN with an unrelated account, website, or card (if your physical card was stolen your full name is on it and ID theft rings will sell your personal info to almost anyone. The thief would have your PIN from your BofA or other account info.)

I'm a longtime BofA customer and not defending them. As others said, there are numerous limits and notification options that you can configure, and they send me routine emails reminding me to check the limits. Also be aware debit cards have very little consumer protection (only one step better than cash) and nowhere near protections on credit cards (Federal banking laws).

Help clarify how you think the thief was able to use an ATM... not "blaming the victim".