Avis Fraudulent Car Rental Damage Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 13, 2019
I don't mean to hijack Daniel's thread, but just to chime in, I found this forum because I too have recently received a questionable damage claim from Sedgwick allegedly on behalf of Budget.

The damage claim I received looks identical to the claim Daniel posted upthread, with a slightly different cost breakdown. They sent it about 6 weeks after the rental period. Like Daniel, I have no knowledge of any damage to the vehicle for the brief period I had it. I did take photos upon return. The Budget return facility was a parking garage with no staff - their staff was in another building across the street, and they did not care to look at the vehicle.

Following the template on this forum, I sent a snail mail letter to Sedgwick at the address in the letter they sent me. They did not respond at all, but they phone me every few days with a different rep reading a boilerplate script to call them back. Which I will not do because I intend to keep all communication in writing.

I received a second letter from them which is basically identical to the first. No acknowledgment of my request for evidence. In this letter they say that they will send the case to collections if I don't pay by a couple of weeks from now.

I'm not sure what the next best step is. I was going to send the challenge letter by email but Daniel has done this and received no replies.

Frankly, it seems absurd and shady that a company can send you a letter demanding a dollar amount with absolutely no evidence that you owe it, other than their "investigation". Better yet, this was my first rental with Budget. I signed up for their Fastbreak program to get the rental. What a nice welcome! Thanks a lot!

Anyway, good luck Daniel, I will look for followups here and post any followups if I get anywhere as well.

Jul 13, 2019
Thanks, Neil, I will do exactly that. Would love to hear a followup from Daniel and whether his very similar case has been addressed or resolved!

May 28, 2019
Thanks, Neil, I will do exactly that. Would love to hear a followup from Daniel and whether his very similar case has been addressed or resolved!
After e-mailing all three executives about a week apart, I didn’t receive any replies. But at the same time the original letter I received with a blurry Sedgwick and Avis logo was the only one I ever received. I honestly think it was a some person or group of people posing as Sedgwick. I never received any more letters, and it has been months since I rented the car. That leads me to believe that it was all a scam.

Reactions: Neil Maley
May 30, 2019
That leads me to believe that it was all a scam.
I wondered if the letter might be a scam, but not sure. It appears to me:
  • The snail mail address is in Ohio, however the fax number is for Arkansas. That could be a fax-forward line, or perhaps a back-end operations service center. At least it is in the US.
  • The 844 phone number is mentioned elsewhere on google being associated with Sedgwick, including this elliott.org thread about an Avis claim.
  • There what could be considered a grammatical error in referring an "Administration Fee" rather than "Administrative Fee" -- often a sign of bad translation by a scammer -- however that name fee name appear in the Avis thread mentioned above.
These points suggest to me that the letter was not a scam. Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2019
Although my Sedgwick letter does have blurry logos and appears shoddily printed, I do know it is not a scam based on my contacts with them. Well, I should say more accurately, the letter is genuinely from them. The damage claim itself sure seems like a scam, though.

After sending my challenge response via e-mail to Budget, shortly after I received a voicemail from someone at Sedgwick referring to the email I sent to Budget. I had mentioned that I took photos of the vehicle on return, and the caller has asked for the photos.

My concern is that, since Budget/Sedgwick has yet to describe the alleged damage at all, if I send them the photos (which show no damage), would they then make up a story about some part of the car that isn't visible or clear in the photos? Any advice how I should respond?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would send them the pictures. You have pictures of the rest of the car with no damage and I would assume they told you what damages they are charging you with. I can't see them trying to come up with fake damage that hasn't already been claimed by them. You took the pictures to protect yourself and they should.

Jul 13, 2019
Good news - this case was closed in my favor. My photos proved that I returned the car without damage. Apparently the vehicle was damaged after my return. Their "investigation" skills need improvement.

I am relieved that I took photos of this vehicle at return, and I can only emphasize to everyone to always thoroughly photo and video your rentals! It can make all the difference.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is usually the outcome when you use our process. You had it even easier because you had pictures. Sedgwick is ruthless but once you start using the Corporate Contacts for the car rental company, these bogus claims are usually dropped. Thanks for letting us know so others see the procedures works.

Sep 20, 2019
Got the same type email about a Budget truck I rented. Apparently not limited to Avis.

Sedgwick provides claims administration services for Budget Truck Rental. Sedgwick is not an insurer or an insurance company. Please review the attached subrogation demand packet.

Jason Haines-Perez is available Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m. EST and her number is 757-490-7258 (direct line) for any questions, concerns or status updates.

If you wish to file a claim with your personal insurance carrier, you can provide my contact details to them. If a claim is already filed with your personal insurance carrier, please provide me the phone number, claim number and the assigned adjuster information. If you prefer to handle this claim without your insurance company, please send the payment to the following address shown below. Lastly, if you prefer to make a payment over the phone, we do accept credit/debit cards at no additional charge.

Here is the payment address for your records. Remember to include the claim number on each payment mailed. This will help expedite the accounts receivable process. In addition, Jason Haines-Perez can take payment over the phone using a debit/credit card at no additional cost. The great benefit of paying over the phone is that once payment is processed, immediate confirmation is provided by email. If you prefer to pay over the phone, please contact her directly to handle.

SEDGWICK CLAIMS MGMT SERVICES INC - ABG RECOVERY US
Budget Truck Damage Claims #198041380
PO BOX 932906
CLEVELAND OH 44193

It is important that we discuss this claim with you as soon as possible; therefore please contact the Recovery Claims Representative listed on the attached letter (Jason Haines-Perez).

Jason Haines-Perez
Jason Haines-Perez
Recovery Claims Representative
757-490-7258
888-277-4220 fax#
Email: [email protected]

Any personal data acquired, processed or shared by us will be lawfully processed in line with applicable data protection legislation. If you have any questions regarding how we process personal data refer to our Privacy Notice https://www.sedgwick.com/global-privacy-policy. Any communication including this email and files/attachments transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If this message has been sent to you in error, you must not copy, distribute or disclose of the information it contains and you must notify us immediately (contact is within the privacy policy) and delete the message from your system.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Got the same type email about a Budget truck I rented. Apparently not limited to Avis.

Sedgwick provides claims administration services for Budget Truck Rental. Sedgwick is not an insurer or an insurance company. Please review the attached subrogation demand packet.

Jason Haines-Perez is available Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m. EST and her number is 757-490-7258 (direct line) for any questions, concerns or status updates.

If you wish to file a claim with your personal insurance carrier, you can provide my contact details to them. If a claim is already filed with your personal insurance carrier, please provide me the phone number, claim number and the assigned adjuster information. If you prefer to handle this claim without your insurance company, please send the payment to the following address shown below. Lastly, if you prefer to make a payment over the phone, we do accept credit/debit cards at no additional charge.

Here is the payment address for your records. Remember to include the claim number on each payment mailed. This will help expedite the accounts receivable process. In addition, Jason Haines-Perez can take payment over the phone using a debit/credit card at no additional cost. The great benefit of paying over the phone is that once payment is processed, immediate confirmation is provided by email. If you prefer to pay over the phone, please contact her directly to handle.

SEDGWICK CLAIMS MGMT SERVICES INC - ABG RECOVERY US
Budget Truck Damage Claims #198041380
PO BOX 932906
CLEVELAND OH 44193

It is important that we discuss this claim with you as soon as possible; therefore please contact the Recovery Claims Representative listed on the attached letter (Jason Haines-Perez).

Jason Haines-Perez
Jason Haines-Perez
Recovery Claims Representative
757-490-7258
888-277-4220 fax#
Email: [email protected]

Any personal data acquired, processed or shared by us will be lawfully processed in line with applicable data protection legislation. If you have any questions regarding how we process personal data refer to our Privacy Notice https://www.sedgwick.com/global-privacy-policy. Any communication including this email and files/attachments transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If this message has been sent to you in error, you must not copy, distribute or disclose of the information it contains and you must notify us immediately (contact is within the privacy policy) and delete the message from your system.
Use this thread and stop dealing with Sedgewick and start writing to the car rental company using this and follow it exactly:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

Oct 27, 2019
Thanks so much for this forum as I too recently became the target of one of Sedgwick's bogus damage reports. I am following the advice in this forum and am hoping for the best. I also appreciate the link about the extra precautions to take when renting a car, which I will do in the future. Unfortunately, I did not take photos, etc. Have been renting cars for years and never had a problem. I'm surprised such big companies as Avis and Budget use this third party service. I certainly won't be renting from them anymore! But will now take photos, etc. Again, this column has given me something to work with. I can't afford to hire a lawyer and shouldn't have to when I've done nothing wrong!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks so much for this forum as I too recently became the target of one of Sedgwick's bogus damage reports. I am following the advice in this forum and am hoping for the best. I also appreciate the link about the extra precautions to take when renting a car, which I will do in the future. Unfortunately, I did not take photos, etc. Have been renting cars for years and never had a problem. I'm surprised such big companies as Avis and Budget use this third party service. I certainly won't be renting from them anymore! But will now take photos, etc. Again, this column has given me something to work with. I can't afford to hire a lawyer and shouldn't have to when I've done nothing wrong!
Please take your post and start a new thread. This is an old thread with the wrong company listed. We will help you there.

Reactions: VoR61 and Patina
May 6, 2020
I received a letter 2 weeks ago but the car rental was like 7 months ago. Are they still able to file a claim against me after all this time has passed? Unfortunately, I don't have the receipts anymore. I do have a few photos that I can salvage from google photos.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I received a letter 2 weeks ago but the car rental was like 7 months ago. Are they still able to file a claim against me after all this time has passed? Unfortunately, I don't have the receipts anymore. I do have a few photos that I can salvage from google photos.
Yes but it could be that it is a false claim which is why you should follow the directions in our post on how to fight these.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
[/QUOTE
you can request any documents you no longer have and they should send copies to you for your use in this pursuit.

Oct 10, 2015
Whoever is sending you a bill or expecting you to pay them has to provide proof of the debt.

For example if a collection agency sends you a bill for an unpaid electric bill they have to send you an accounting of the address of the house or business and the kilowatt hours used.

You should send a copy of the claim to your own insurance company, marked "Information Only" at the top and bottom of each page.

In the case of Sedgwick, they too have to send proof of the damage for which a debt is claimed.

When they send another billing you just answer their questions. If they send another billing with no additional information and no different questions then you can send a copy of your same reply from last time (even with the old date at the top).

Reactions: Skippy