An Inacurrate Itinerary cost us $3000 - Expedia did attempt to notify and we forgot to call back

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you still have access to the Itinerary (that is wrong) and do not already have a screen shot of it, get it now! The proof is in those photos of an Itinerary that should have shown as cancelled!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No, but that to me was not part of my "deal" with expedia because they clearly state to check my itinerary. And I didn't get an email from the airline to do early check in for my first flight either. So I don't see how that is relevant but please let me know. Yes, that would have allowed me to know if the flight was cancelled but I was relying on expedia because that's what I paid them for. I could have bought the tickets through the airline, obviously, and then would have relied on them. That's how I see it?
Check in is relevant because you would have noticed the cancellation at that time and you could have contacted Expedia right then and there. You should always check in 24 hours before your flight regardless of how you book. Did you know that one of the ways an airline decides who to bump on an oversold flight is who checks in last?

Reactions: VoR61
Aug 20, 2019
Check in is relevant because you would have noticed the cancellation at that time and you could have contacted Expedia right then and there. You should always check in 24 hours before your flight regardless of how you book. Did you know that one of the ways an airline decides who to bump on an oversold flight is who checks in last?
Neil, I know how I could have prevented this. Trust me - hard lesson learned, don't trust your itinerary, yes I get it. But I'm viewing this from the view of a reasonable person, not a travel expert, which is what is relevant when considering if there is a valid complaint against a company... do you know what I mean? Most travellers are busy professionals/parents etc... they want travel to be as easy as possible, hence using stuff like expedia... but you should be able to rely on the company you choose to help you, and in this case i did so to my detriment.

Reactions: echo and VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can I ask why it's relevant what my job is?
Because you are inferring legal action by referring to a third party and as an attorney you would know what your rights are in a situation like this- and if the airline thinks you are talking about legal action you won’t get them to co-operate. You want them to work with you.

The “why” questions we ask are going to be the ones they ask when reading your complaint.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, I know how I could have prevented this. Trust me - hard lesson learned, don't trust your itinerary, yes I get it. But I'm viewing this from the view of a reasonable person, not a travel expert, which is what is relevant when considering if there is a valid complaint against a company... do you know what I mean? Most travellers are busy professionals/parents etc... they want travel to be as easy as possible, hence using stuff like expedia... but you should be able to rely on the company you choose to help you, and in this case i did so to my detriment.
I believe that there is some fault on BOTH sides and in our experience here trying to turn a no into a yes, one of the things that helps turn an executive around is by admitting your fault in the issue and bringing their fault to their attention . Your best bet is to say
“I forgot to call back but if you had sent me an email and updated the itinerary, I would have called back and found out before so got to the airport.”

And if they did not refund that piece of the ticket you could add that to your complaint. “If the flight was canceled why didn’t you credit my card back for the flight?”

Sep 19, 2015
The wrong schedule persisted THE ENTIRE TIME the moment the return flight was cancelled in June right up until this day. to this day, the itinerary lists a flight THAT DOES NOT EXIST. I'm not yelling just emphasizing words, lol. The flight did not exist since like May, but is STILL on the itinerary TODAY.
You have to excuse me but I do not use Expedia so I have no idea what one sees when looking at the itineraries. When I look at my past trips on an airline I use all I see it the receipt of what was booked -- especially after the fact. This is why I am asking.

Sep 19, 2015
When was the letter sent? The issue is that the letter has already been sent and with this as the last line

I will await a response within 10 days before seeking third-party assistance.

The third party assistance may have been taken to mean legal action -- and as such the letter may be sitting with the legal team.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I think this discussion may be more confusing than it needs to be. Let's just grant that your flight was cancelled and Expedia did not notify you of this fact. There are 3 ways to look at this:

1. Contractually. Expedia's terms limit their liability to the cost of the ticket. They are not liable for the other costs you incurred. Have they refunded the return ticket cost?

2. Legally. You might be able to challenge Expedia's terms and conditions in court. We're not qualified to advise you on this. But good luck.

3. Good business. They messed up and you incurred $3000 in costs. There is some disagreement about how much of the error is theirs vs yours. Regardless, they owe you nothing contractually. They have offered you $200 as a goodwill gesture. You can certainly write them and ask for more, but you're extremely unlikely to get $3000. As you're asking for a goodwill gesture, I'd suggest you use a cordial, unthreatening tone and offer to split the cost with them (ie $1500). You probably won't get that either, but they may bump their goodwill gesture to $500.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Expedia, Travelocity, etc. are not "travel professionals ". They are third parties that simply take your order and purchase for you the components you want; one stop shopping for travel. In essence, *you *are acting as your own travel agent. It is important to continually monitor all aspects of your trip as you get closer to departure.

A high percentage of posts on this forum are travel snafus involving third party online travel sites. When a problem arises it is far easier to deal directly with the airline, hotel, etc. than thru a third party.

Feb 21, 2018
As the others have said, trusting a third-party site to provide accurate information may not be the best idea. Case in point - I was on Seat Guru to check the seating on a flight I am taking in October. Flying on Air Canada, the first leg of the outbound, according to Seat Guru, is a codeshare with an airline named Kavminvodyavia. That airline went out of business and stopped flying in October 2011, almost 8 years ago.

Jun 24, 2019
If I understand OP's predicament, she bought tickets through an OTA. Thereafter, the return flight was cancelled by the airline quite some time before the flight. (Months, it seems.) Nevertheless, the OTA continued to display the itinerary with a cancelled flight. The OP checked from time to time, and the itinerary still showed the original configuration of flights. Is that because the OTA does not update the itinerary or does not post a warning when OP signed into her account? And isn't her argument, sure, I missed a phone call (a phone call that surprises some of us), but when I logged into my OTA account, the flights were still there with no warnings? And isn't a secondary argument that when the OTA was notified by the airline of the cancellation, that the OTA should have credited back the cancelled flight? What did the airline do when it cancelled the flight? Did it return payment to the OTA? Or is someone, Expedia or Westjet, sitting on money for a flight that never took off?

Mar 17, 2015
I think the OTA re-booked them on a flight a day earlier, therefore, there would not have been a refund. It would be interesting to know if the original itinerary was on the account when the OP checked, or if it was showing a day earlier, but due to not thinking to check the date, OP assumed everything was OK.

How many people were traveling on this itinerary that were impacted by the rescheduled flight? I might ask a per person credit, and not just a one off. $200 seems low for this customer service oversight.

I have a flight coming up later this year and when I log on to check its itinerary, if it has even changed by a few minutes, I get an alert. Of course, this is with the airline and not an OTA. The alert remains until I agree to the change. I think it may be a bit overkill for a ten minute difference, but also gives me peace of mind.

Reactions: Neil Maley

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You've been very lucky. An online booking service is a numbers game. They spend gazzilions on national advertising and slick websites. They do lots of things well, but every so often there's a big error. This means nothing to them, but it means a great deal to the traveller. They don't notice problems, they don't act on them, they always point fingers at the hotel or airline where you have the problem, after you bring it up. All travel has problems here and there, no matter how careful the traveller is. People who don't "stay on top of" their trips end up at the airport with no flight, or at the hotel with no room. The difference is that by booking directly you have a very good chance of straightening out the situation. With a OBS, you're dead in the water.

We are all acting as our own travel agents these days, and not because it was OUR idea. Travel providers have forced us into the situation ... lately they've decided that it's not working too well, but it's too late. We must watch our travel plans constantly, it's the only way to ensure a good experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You've been very lucky. An online booking service is a numbers game. They spend gazzilions on national advertising and slick websites. They do lots of things well, but every so often there's a big error. This means nothing to them, but it means a great deal to the traveller. They don't notice problems, they don't act on them, they always point fingers at the hotel or airline where you have the problem, after you bring it up. All travel has problems here and there, no matter how careful the traveller is. People who don't "stay on top of" their trips end up at the airport with no flight, or at the hotel with no room. The difference is that by booking directly you have a very good chance of straightening out the situation. With a OBS, you're dead in the water.

We are all acting as our own travel agents these days, and not because it was OUR idea. Travel providers have forced us into the situation ... lately they've decided that it's not working too well, but it's too late. We must watch our travel plans constantly, it's the only way to ensure a good experience.
And this is while travel agents never went away.

Reactions: BittyBoo
Aug 29, 2018
The wrong schedule persisted THE ENTIRE TIME the moment the return flight was cancelled in June right up until this day. to this day, the itinerary lists a flight THAT DOES NOT EXIST. I'm not yelling just emphasizing words, lol. The flight did not exist since like May, but is STILL on the itinerary TODAY.
Is your browser configured with a cache, and if so, does it respect cache expiration headers from web sites or does it override them to save bandwidth?

Your browser may be showing older results and not updating them if it is configured that way.

Dec 17, 2018
Look at the OP's username. If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail.
That's not completely fair, honestly... I don't threaten to sue everyone that irritates me. But I do get your point. When you have legal training, it does make it a lot easier to want to jump into "I'll deal with this MY way".

Reactions: echo
Dec 17, 2018
Speaking only for myself, I offered only my input on the ending of your email to them. Other than that, I think you acted responsibly per their instructions and should receive some compensation . . .
I agree. I absolutely despise talking to people on the phone these days, and I've called Expedia before and it's a nightmare, so I would have also checked the website first and if my flights were showing as confirmed, I wouldn't have called, either. I'd have just kept checking the website.

Reactions: echo and VoR61