American Airlines Offering Me a Credit Only, Not a Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 27, 2020
American has denied my request for a full refund rather than a credit on my daughter's ticket. The flight was canceled, but not until a few days after I went online and canceled it as the trip was approaching and it was clearly too dangerous to fly due to Covid-19. They say because it was a non-refundable ticket & I canceled before they did, I am not eligible for a refund.

I would like a refund for my daughter's round trip airline ticket to Phoenix, AZ. The airline has given her a credit to be used by 12/31/2021. I am a single working mom of 3 and this ticket was an extravagance. I have no idea if she will be able to take a trip within the time frame given the health and financial devastation from Covid-19. I could really use the money back right now to help pay our monthly bills.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, if you canceled the flight before the airline did, you are not owed a refund. We have multiple stories about waiting for the airline to cancel and not rushing.

Here is one of them - please see #4 and #5:

Reactions: Patina and AKLutraa

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
The best option for you is to write a letter to customer service requesting an exception to the fare rules. You are not due a refund since you cancelled the flight, not the airline (doesn't matter that they eventually cancelled). If you write a brief, polite and professional letter, you may reach a sympathetic ear. But I wouldn't count on it....the airlines are losing billions of dollars due to the pandemic.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
American has denied my request for a full refund rather than a credit on my daughter's ticket. The flight was canceled, but not until a few days after I went online and canceled it as the trip was approaching and it was clearly too dangerous to fly due to Covid-19. They say because it was a non-refundable ticket & I canceled before they did, I am not eligible for a refund.

I would like a refund for my daughter's round trip airline ticket to Phoenix, AZ. The airline has given her a credit to be used by 12/31/2021. I am a single working mom of 3 and this ticket was an extravagance. I have no idea if she will be able to take a trip within the time frame given the health and financial devastation from Covid-19. I could really use the money back right now to help pay our monthly bills.
You should recheck to see if the credit must be used by 12/31/2021. Other airlines are giving a longer time period to use the credit; United is giving 24 months from the cancellation date to book flights, with up to 35 months to actually fly.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should recheck to see if the credit must be used by 12/31/2021. Other airlines are giving a longer time period to use the credit; United is giving 24 months from the cancellation date to book flights, with up to 35 months to actually fly.
I think AA was the only airline that didn’t offer extensions.