Alaska Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 22, 2020
On February 26th, I purchased a flight for my husband and me from Seattle to Orlando, the first part of our dream vacation continuing to South America and taking a 3 week cruise through Antarctica on Holland America. I was able to get the flights to and from South America and the cruise refunded without a problem after coronavirus became a big concern. However, Alaska Airlines won't refund my 2 flights (one being a companion fare) the one way from Seattle to Orlando because I purchased them on February 26th, 2020 and the refund policy is for any flight purchased on February 27th, 2020 up to March 28th, 2020. I missed by 2 days another deadline that would have refunded these same tickets: if we had planned to travel by December 31, 2020, they would have refunded our flight without a cancellation fee, but our tickets were for January 2, 2021. Alaska's policy is to charge a $125 fee per ticket if we cancel these flights. What do you suggest I do to try to get the full $509.23 refunded to me on these tickets? I am reasonably sure we won't be wanting to go to Orlando, Florida in January, 2021 with the scientists saying that we may be hit with another wave of coronavirus.
Thank you for any help or suggestion you may be able to give!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately airlines are losing millions of dollars through this pandemic and are being pretty strict about sticking to their refund policies. If you had purchased a Cancel for Any Reason travel insurance policyholders, you would have been able to file a claim.

It’s unfortunate you bought two days too early but they can’t afford to make exceptions for everyone. But I think things are going to be more normal by January.

You can use our company contacts to add for an exception but I would be surprised if they did do because the flight is so far in the future.

If it were me- I’d leave it alone and see what this looks like at the end of the year. The penalty won’t be any higher on f you just wait.

• Love
Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Sep 4, 2019
There are pretty good odds that the flight schedule will change drastically enough between now and January that you’ll be allowed to cancel for that reason and get a refund. I would just wait and see for now. Keep an eye out for any flight change updates in your email.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Keep an eye out for emails from Alaska by all means, but go into their website yourself on a regular basis to monitor the status of your flight. Don't rely on the airline to send you notice. I hope you are able to schedule this wonderful trip again soon.

Reactions: Skippy and Patina