Airline ticket reimbursed by airline, but not third party booking company

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 26, 2020
First and foremost, I have learned my lesson regarding purchasing travel tickets through a third party. I knew there was a risk but had been fortunate for some time…until now. So, please refrain from any harsh criticism as I have kicked myself enough already.

Ok, so Gotogate is holding a credit owed to me for a roundtrip ticket fully reimbursed in the amount of ~$2K by Delta Airlines to Gotogate on February 25th of this year given suspended cancellation restrictions by the carrier as a result of the global spread of the Coronavirus. I have documentation from Delta and Gotogate that substantiates this transaction. When by March 30th the credit never materialized on my credit card, I opened a case with the credit card bank Barclays. This unfortunately made a bad situation worse.

At the time I opened the case, Barclays provided a temporary credit for the full amount to my card, and then I heard nothing from them for two months. According to a Barclays representative, during the ‘investigation’, Gotogate informed Barclays that my ticket was not reimbursable, which of course was untrue because it had already been refunded to Gotogate. As a result and without consulting me on any aspect, Barclays informed me by letter June 8th that they were not able to assist me any longer in pursuing the credit and my case was closed. The credit on my card was changed to a charge for the full amount accordingly. After three tries, they will not re-open the case because the expense is now outside the calendar window of opportunity. [As an aside, dealing with Barclays is no longer an option, which is an altogether other post.]

As a result, Gotogate appears to have seized upon this as cause to 1) refuse to deal with me and only with Barclays, and 2) assert that I was already reimbursed by the bank. I would hear them out on both counts IF I had not already provided them with irrefutable evidence (Barclay’s letter and a current credit card statement) that the case was now closed without resolution and the charge was back on my card.

After four months of the runaround from Gotogate, I was informed on June 23rd for the first time by a representative that my case had been forwarded earlier to its Headquarters, Etraveli, as a result of the case I opened, and was given the contact email [email protected] to follow up. On June 24th, I emailed a formal letter with all the supporting documentation to this address in addition to a customer service email address for Etraveli that I found in a post on your site. I also attempted to send it to the General Counsel (only). While firm and informative (i.e. long), I do not believe I was rude or inappropriate. I requested that they review the evidence I provided and resolve this situation by honoring the credit owed to me. I did not even receive an automatic response confirming receipt of the email, and I repeatedly check my Spam folder as well. Short of heading to their HQ in Sweden (on a ticket purchased directly from the airline, mind you!), I am at a complete loss as to where to turn next. Recommendations are more than welcome. Thank you!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Allianz/global policy with Priceline sent email agreeing to refund with voucher, How do I get this?
Well, that's good news chlo. It is not a refund, it's a voucher for a certain amount, good for a certain time. Unless they've told you explicitly that they are refunding to your credit card, of course, and just mis-using the term voucher. Vouchers used to be called certificates and were issued on paper ... they are now often referred to as a "credit". But it's not a refund, nothing will come back to your credit card. Vouchers are generally issued in electronic form. It should "hook on" to your existing confirmation. You do need to verify it and best to do that online so you have proof. Good luck, and please come back if you have further questions.

Reactions: Patina
Jun 28, 2020
Well, that's good news chlo. It is not a refund, it's a voucher for a certain amount, good for a certain time. Unless they've told you explicitly that they are refunding to your credit card, of course, and just mis-using the term voucher. Vouchers used to be called certificates and were issued on paper ... they are now often referred to as a "credit". But it's not a refund, nothing will come back to your credit card. Vouchers are generally issued in electronic form. It should "hook on" to your existing confirmation. You do need to verify it and best to do that online so you have proof. Good luck, and please come back if you have further questions.
Thanks for your reply and I will ask Priceline for the voucher using the ticket number that Air Canada told me to use, I will get back to you with the result! chlo

Jun 26, 2020
Thank you, Neil, for your response to my query above. I am thrilled to report that while I had no response from the customer service or chargeback emails I wrote to, it was my email to the General Counsel of Gotogate's parent company that was answered personally a couple of days after my post. He had a colleague look into it and I had an email from Gotogate yesterday morning letting me know that the refund less fees had been processed and I that should see it within 3 - 5 business days. Of course Gotogate had to inform me why it was all my fault in the process, but no matter. And as soon as the refund comes in, I will be closing the Barclay's AA credit card for the worst customer service (on par with Gotogate) ever. Their Billing Disputes Dept. made a bad situation even worse. Unfortunately, Barclay's customer service is structured so that all complaints about the Billing Dept. go back to them, so they have autonomy, which would be fine if they were informed and inspired to do their jobs. Ok, that's my last word. I must go and count my lucky stars.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Pixie Pie