Account closed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 18, 2020
Hi,
I'm a Spire Ambassador with a lot of points (mostly purchased through IHG) and from one day to the next my account was locked. I called and the CSR could not help me just said it was done by the executive office. Emailed them and they said the account was under review and a few days later they stated I was in violation of the terms and that my account was closed and points/free night certs lost etc.). So asked them why and they only referred to Article 7 of the T&C which covers everything and nothing and they stated it was permanent and they would not answer any more emails.
Why wouldn't they tell me they think I did wrong. Maybe I did inadvertently but I am not aware of doing anything wrong.
It was a lot of points saved for a Japan trip (and others) so I lost a lot of $ and not getting a reason makes it very unfair.
Who could help?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was your membership still active? Did you have any recent stays that could have caused this? Were you earning straightforward nights?

We need a little more information on whether something recent could have resulted in someone looking at your account. If they thought there was something unusual that happened, they aren’t going to tell you why - that would allow you to try to circumvent policy.

We have company contacts for IHG that you can use to see if you can get any more info.

This is how to create a paper trail:

Nov 22, 2019
You said you purchased a lot of points with IHG to use for a future trip (I assume free hotels and maybe free flights). Usually, it is much cheaper to pay hotel than buy points to get free hotel. Did you use a special offer they had, did you manage more than one account (including your partner, family), or create a new account to enroll in a promotion? Any more information will be useful!

Apr 18, 2020
Yes membership was active and I was mostly buying points and using them for stays and using free night certificates (2 chase credit cards).
Stays were fine. Had to cancel some reservations (which is normal) and never did so last minute.
Out of ordinary
1) had to (as usual) chase my 10% Ambassador points rebate
2) asked for free night certificate extension due to Covid19
3) on a stay my wife checked in a day before I joined (wife = 2nd guest in reservation)
4) signed up for promos but rarely used them
5) Reserved point brakes and used most and canceled only 1 out of 3
6) paid to extend Ambassador which extends Spire
7) was surprised they had a “25k points” to chose from on my account a month back for requalifying as Spire (had that the first year but not the last two or so) so I took it
8) no selling of points, points transfer booking for other people .......
That was all for the last year or so

Apr 18, 2020
And why wouldn’t they tell me why. That would result in they could close all accounts without giving any reason. That sounds wrong. If you think I did something wrong let me know why you want to punish me.
mit could be someone else using my number (hacker or innocent mistake /switched number) and I would never know.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They do have this in section 7-were you selling or bartering for points? I would suggest you use the Company Contacts and the link on how to write to the Executives at IHG and see if you can unearth the issue.

abuse/misuse of any benefits or privileges provided by SCH and/or any IHG branded hotels, or use of such benefits or privileges in violation of the applicable terms and conditions for them, including but not limited to the sale or barter of any Points or Point vouchers or Reward Nights;

Apr 18, 2020
No I have never sold points or booked for other people or anything like that I always used them for myself/my wife and when I bought points it was through IHG (either direct or through the Travel Website in the summer where several hotels/rental companies have their packages for sale (again authorized by IHG) for a two week period.
My guess would be a mistake (someone using my number instead of theirs) or that my account was hacked .... guess the only way is writing certified letters to the Executive contacts

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It sounds like it could be an error. Don't waste money on certified letters. Use our emails and write one at a time to the executives starting at the bottom. Our suggestions on how to write usually work.

Reactions: Patina
May 30, 2019
Random thought: Does your wife share your last name? If not, your wife arriving earlier than you may have been interpreted as a point sale or 3rd party transaction.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've had status with IHG forever without an issue, but I've picked up intel over the years that IHG is very strict about their Rewards rules. Did you qualify for your status with the credit cards or from the number of hotel stays? IHG offers various status levels which generate bonus points, depending on the kind of card you carry. You say you've purchased a great many points from IHG, which I don't understand. I often book rooms using Points & Cash, which is technically purchasing points ... is that what you're referring to? To my knowledge, IHG Rewards points are earned from hotel spending and from the affinity card. Review all your activity with the Chase CC, there must be something somewhere that triggered this cancellation of your membership. I would dig into Flyer Talk to see what information you can pick up. Scrutinize the IHG Rewards rules. If you review all your activities over the past couple of years and don't see anything that might call attention to your record, perhaps there is an error somewhere. Please let us know how this goes, and good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Maley
Apr 18, 2020
My status was given via credit card (Platinum Chase), due to Ambassador Membership (Platinum) but one year I reached 75k points (stays and spend) to reach Spire and I've been spire ever since.
I purchased points when IHG had them for sale as I stay in many places in the high season. Let's say IHG sells them for 0.5 cents (usually 0.55-0.6) and the Hotel is 50k points. The cash rate is $300 but if I stay 4 nights ( pay 150k (4th night free) - 20% (10% back due to CC and 10% back due to Ambassaor) = 120k points = 30k a night = $150 a night
My Chase CCs both have very little activity nowadays. I use them for IHG stays (mostly incidentals) and I just keep them for the 10% off/ 4th night free and the yearly free night cert.
Unfortunately I can'r check all activity on my IHG account as the account is closed and not available.
Three reasons:
1) account hacked
2) error somewhere
3) I inadvertently did something a few years back (remark don't read this that I did something wrong years back it is just I can't remember what I did for all my FF accounts years back as details slip away and memories blend) as I have no idea why anything I did in the last year or so should be against the T&C

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
Hi,
Just sent off the first email .... let’s see when I get a response
Great! I do not know how good you are with account protection but I suggest you to change your passwords of all hotels/airlines account if they are weak or same to the IHG's one. Consider them as a bank account as hacker can indeed steal and resell on the blackmarket miles at high price. Some unethical companies would also buy them to sell economy tickets upgrade to business with miles at a great profits for them.
Also, if you travel a lot (which means potentially unsecured wifi or usb plugs), having an ID Theft Protection Service is not a bad idea, and also protect you from all the data breach we see. I think they would cover stolen miles as well. I don't want to advertise for one but I got mine pretty cheap.
If it is not stolen and just a mistake from IHG, which I hope, it is still a good advice :)

Apr 18, 2020
Especially IHG had a big problem with online security as they used a 4 digit pin as password for the longest time and just changed it to a "normal" password but for a time the 4 digit pin was still working.
I use a different password for each account to keep any hack limited

May 30, 2019
Are these other posts related? Similar situation that may be helpful to the OP, or perhaps the OP going down multiple avenues?

Sep 19, 2015
My status was given via credit card (Platinum Chase), due to Ambassador Membership (Platinum) but one year I reached 75k points (stays and spend) to reach Spire and I've been spire ever since.
I purchased points when IHG had them for sale as I stay in many places in the high season. Let's say IHG sells them for 0.5 cents (usually 0.55-0.6) and the Hotel is 50k points. The cash rate is $300 but if I stay 4 nights ( pay 150k (4th night free) - 20% (10% back due to CC and 10% back due to Ambassaor) = 120k points = 30k a night = $150 a night
My Chase CCs both have very little activity nowadays. I use them for IHG stays (mostly incidentals) and I just keep them for the 10% off/ 4th night free and the yearly free night cert.
Unfortunately I can'r check all activity on my IHG account as the account is closed and not available.
Three reasons:
1) account hacked
2) error somewhere
3) I inadvertently did something a few years back (remark don't read this that I did something wrong years back it is just I can't remember what I did for all my FF accounts years back as details slip away and memories blend) as I have no idea why anything I did in the last year or so should be against the T&C
Could it be that you are buying too many points to avoid paying the cash rate? Could they have interpreted this behavior as gaming the system?

Apr 18, 2020
Don’t see how as IHG sells the pints to me and have a yearly cap (they they sometimes raise). So they know each ping i purchased and only allowed me to purchase up to their limit.They made the rules and I followed them