A mistake was made, but by whom?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 14, 2020
I made a hotel reservation for two rooms: One for me, a room with two queen beds for my husband and my 2 daughters and the other, a handicapped room with one king bed, for my in-laws. My in-laws got to the hotel first and checked in. They were given the room with two beds. When we got to the hotel several hours later, we realized that we had gotten the handicapped room with one bed.

The woman at the front desk was very apologetic but said the hotel was at capacity so we had no option to change rooms. We asked about a roll away cot and were told our room was too small to hold one. I told my husband he should just ask his parents if we could switch rooms but he said that they were already unpacked. I slept in the bed with the girls and he slept on the floor.

I'm not planning on trying to get anything from the hotel, but I'm just wondering who was at fault here: the hotel staff for mixing up the rooms or my husband for not asking his parents to move? Or was it just one of those situations where there really was no way out?

Thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your in laws should have traded rooms- it’s that simple. Why didn’t they tell them when they checked in they were there for the handicapped room?

Your party got the rooms they booked. It was up to the first one there to tell the hotel who needed the handicapped room.

Why couldn’t your husband move his parents belongings to the right room?

May 14, 2020
Excellent question! I guess I had thought that if there were two different type rooms on the reservation that the hotel would ask what room the people checking in wanted. Which, I see now, is not really their responsibility. I realize I should have pressed for my husband to tell his parents we need to switch.

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
Also, how much unpacking had they done, really? Toothbrushes and maybe a few toiletries? And if he was that insistent, I'd have said, "Well, then either the girs are spending the night with Grams and Gramps, or you are!" and put that spare bed to use in their room!

May 14, 2020
Also, how much unpacking had they done, really? Toothbrushes and maybe a few toiletries? And if he was that insistent, I'd have said, "Well, then either the girs are spending the night with Grams and Gramps, or you are!" and put that spare bed to use in their room!
I love this idea! LOL

May 16, 2018
The grandparents had 2 choices:

1. pack up and let the hotel staff carry their suit cases to the new room, or

2. leave everything unpacked and let the adult child and spouse plus the 2 grandkids each grab a few things and transport them to the new room.

Of course after a couple trips, someone --likely the grandkids-- would have just said, "Hey! It would be so much easier if we put the stuff into the suitcases!"

:)

(Just a little mirth intended....I know that sometimes people can get cranky after traveling and perhaps this is why the decision was made to let the grandparents stay in the wrong room.)

Reactions: krisseye
Apr 1, 2019
I am curious, did the hotel ask the grandparents if the wanted the room with one bed or two? Maybe the grandparents didn't want to sleep together and then it would be on them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am curious, did the hotel ask the grandparents if the wanted the room with one bed or two? Maybe the grandparents didn't want to sleep together and then it would be on them.
That actually makes some sense since I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't move just because they had already unpacked their things. It makes no sense that they expected a family of four to sleep in one bed!

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
That actually makes some sense since I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't move just because they had already unpacked their things. It makes no sense that they expected a family of four to sleep in one bed!
I actually read the OP letter as the grandparents not even knowing about the issue as the husband did not want to involve them in a solution.
They might even have been mifted about not getting their HC room. I just think they were totally unaware of all the implications, or even that they got the wrong room.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I actually read the OP letter as the grandparents not even knowing about the issue as the husband did not want to involve them in a solution.
They might even have been mifted about not getting their HC room. I just think they were totally unaware of all the implications, or even that they got the wrong room.
The plot thickens!!!

Reactions: Pixie Pie and jsn55

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
Two Points:
1) This post belongs in a Dear Abby or Miss Manners column ;). Although it was fun to read it here.
2) In keeping with my "lessons learned" approach to issues like this, when making the reservations, one can indicate which names go with which rooms. This should avoid any confusion at check-in.