$250 smoking fee charged because I cooked in kitchenette

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2019
How many executives have you contacted? This letter seems to say you have contacted several.

I would take it to the next executive we show. Re-iterate that the hotel bears the IHG name and if it is a franchise you still booked based in the hotel brand, not whether it is a franchise or not. State again you did not smoke in the room but you cooked in it and don’t accept the smoking fee.

Call your credit card company as well and dispute the charge. You have tried working it out and they are not listening to you.
I'm sending my email up the chain and added the comment above even though it sounds like I have already lost the battle. I will just make it a point of never staying in IHG hotels and closing my membership.

Aug 29, 2015
If you have written to the executive team and the hotel and gotten no where, and you used a credit card to pay (not a debit card), my next step would be to dispute the smoking charge on my credit card. You did not smoke in the room, and this is a blatant cash grab by the franchise operator.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm sending my email up the chain and added the comment above even though it sounds like I have already lost the battle. I will just make it a point of never staying in IHG hotels and closing my membership.
Then go on to the next executive leaving a week in between each letter. Don’t think it’s over- take it one at a time.

May 4, 2019
If you have written to the executive team and the hotel and gotten no where, and you used a credit card to pay (not a debit card), my next step would be to dispute the smoking charge on my credit card. You did not smoke in the room, and this is a blatant cash grab by the franchise operator.
I got a hold of my credit immediately but it didn't sound like they were going to be able to do anything for me. I contacted them again just to make sure.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If this is in your emails to IHG "never staying in IHG hotels and closing my membership" you have eliminated any reason for them to reverse the charge. I hope this is your future plan, not your comment to IHG.

May 4, 2019
If this is in your emails to IHG "never staying in IHG hotels and closing my membership" you have eliminated any reason for them to reverse the charge. I hope this is your future plan, not your comment to IHG.
I'm not that careless but thanks for your comment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Tell them you are filing a dispute. You must be clear in this as you only have a certain amount of time to file. You must make sure an official dispute is filed. Most credit card companies have a form online to file.