$12,280 over charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2019
My fiancé lives in Ukraine and I work for an insurance agency who supplies me with an Apple cell phone with Verizon as the carrier. The owner of the agency has unlimited on his plan for everything... But I suddenly he receives a $7280 phone bill for the past month and it was because of me calling her and talking to her from the United States to Ukraine and then an additional 5000 bill comes through for this current month... So 12,280 phone bill.... international unlimited could’ve been added the plan for $10 a month and no one reached out to me until just a week ago via a text message and I didn’t even open the message. I only found out when I tried to make a local call and it had transferred my call to Verizon financial department.... So now my boss is taking it out of my paycheck and I’m a single father and I cannot afford this and this truly going to ruin my life and they refused to do anything about it
... how can I justify $12,280 phone bill whenever unlimited calling could’ve been added to the plan for 10 bucks!!!!please help

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You can reach out to Verizon and ask for a modification of your bill: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/verizon-wireless/

You were using a work phone for personal use. Did you inquire about the international coverage on that phone? The charge is often $3/min unless you have an international plan. Normal US cellular plans do NOT include international calling. You need to specifically set them up yourself. "Unlimited" applies only to US calling, text and data on Verizon. T-Mobile includes international coverage in its plans but you need to inquire about it. T-Mobile may not be "unlimited" for international calls.

Apr 9, 2019
You can reach out to Verizon and ask for a modification of your bill: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/verizon-wireless/

You were using a work phone for personal use. Did you inquire about the international coverage on that phone? The charge is often $3/min unless you have an international plan. Normal US cellular plans do NOT include international calling. You need to specifically set them up yourself. "Unlimited" applies only to US calling, text and data on Verizon. T-Mobile includes international coverage in its plans but you need to inquire about it. T-Mobile may not be "unlimited" for international calls.

When I was giving this phone I was told that personal use was ok and they expected me to use it for personal use along with business... Yes shame on me for assuming unlimited meant unlimited on everything including international.... If I had an ample cash flow I would reluctantly allow my boss to withhold my pay until this bill is paid in full but I live paycheck to paycheck at this point and think because this unlimited international calling plan could have been added for 10 dollars a month that this bill is ridiculous in nature and will devastate any plans I have of marrying the love of my life and bringing our two families together as one.

Apr 9, 2019

Thank you sir and I just emailed one of Verizon’s contacts you sent... I pray this is resolved...

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you sir and I just emailed one of Verizon’s contacts you sent... I pray this is resolved...
Email the first level of customer service (as you have done) and wait a week. If no/negative response, then move down the list weekly.
Your employer may need to be the one to deal with Verizon since the contract is in the business' name.

My daughter had a similar event and Verizon cut the bill in half (although her bill was $600).

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

Reactions: VoR61
Apr 9, 2019
Although cutting the bill in half would be amazing, I’m still afraid what it will do to me financially... My boss is still bent on taking this amount from my checks all at once and at this point in my life I live pay check to paycheck and simply can not afford not to have a paycheck

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
BTW Verizon per min charge to Ukraine is $2.49; with an international calling plan you still pay per minute but only $0.26/min.

Apr 9, 2019
Yes which explains the 4935 minutes I’ve talked to her in the past 6 weeks.... I just pray this can be resolved because this will crush our plans to be a family

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
For the future, if it's available there, you might want to consider installing WhatsApp on both phones or getting a VOIP service with unlimited worldwide calling for less than $50 per month. This is a horrible way to learn that you should never make assumptions and I hope that Verizon has compassion on you especially since, as you say, you could have paid a flat rate for unlimited calls (altough I thought that was only if you are traveling overseas, not from the US to overseas - I believe that cost is $15 per month for Verizon to call overseas from the US and that may not include calls to cellphones). Also some corporate plans do allow unlimited calling from anywhere to anywhere although that's usually for very large clients.

Reactions: Neil Maley

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You will have trouble convincing Verizon, Mhoevel. The numbers are: 24 hours per day x 7 days per week x 6 weeks = 1008 hours. That's all there is in that time period. 2 hours per day of conversation over 6 weeks = 84 hours, not 4,935.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
You will have trouble convincing Verizon, Mhoevel. The numbers are: 24 hours per day x 7 days per week x 6 weeks = 1008 hours. That's all there is in that time period. 2 hours per day of conversation over 6 weeks = 84 hours, not 4,935.
He said 4935 minutes not hours.

Apr 9, 2019
Not a problem at all sir.. I completely understand and I do not judge as I had to get the calculator out myself to confirm I was accurate on my statement... Yes I pray this gets resolved

Apr 9, 2019
For the future, if it's available there, you might want to consider installing WhatsApp on both phones or getting a VOIP service with unlimited worldwide calling for less than $50 per month. This is a horrible way to learn that you should never make assumptions and I hope that Verizon has compassion on you especially since, as you say, you could have paid a flat rate for unlimited calls (altough I thought that was only if you are traveling overseas, not from the US to overseas - I believe that cost is $15 per month for Verizon to call overseas from the US and that may not include calls to cellphones). Also some corporate plans do allow unlimited calling from anywhere to anywhere although that's usually for very large clients.

Thank you for your information sir.. I also pray they have compassion... The bill has been paid by my boss but now I am the one to suffer with no paycheck until it is paid back to him which is another story within itself

Apr 3, 2016
If you cannot get Verizon to lower the bill (is your name on the account, if not the might not even talk to you, you may need to have your boss talk to them], you could maybe ask to work extra for your boss. Two hrs/day at $15/ hr would pay off the bill in a little over a year.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree. Didn’t you think to look into this before using the phone this way? I don’t think when your boss said you could use it for personal use they imagined you’d be calling the Ukraine. Razilo gave you a great idea about working more to pay your boss. It almost sounds like you are blaming your boss for this. I’m sorry this was an expensive lesson for you.

Reactions: VoR61
Status
Not open for further replies.