1/2 cancelled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 10, 2015
Thank you for any help you can provide!

At the end of October, I booked a round trip flight with Expedia. I called to cancel it within 24 hours and the clerk only cancelled 1/2 the flight. I didn't notice their mistake because I was preoccupied making new reservations. I live in Connecticut, so I need a flight from Cancun to Hartford like I need a hole in the head.

I disputed the charges with my bank and have not yet received a refund. The latter half of this flight (departing on 1/5/16) STILL has not been cancelled. Should I cancel it?

I asked them to do it and they haven't and I figured if I cancelled it, I might incur more fees and it would be more difficult to get reimbursed. My thought at the time was to fly to Cancun then take a bus to Belize (intended destination).

This is what I have done:
1. Called to cancel flight - 1/2 cancelled
2. Email Expedia customer service - no reply
3. Called Expedia customer service - we'll check tapes and get back to you in 48 hours. They did not get back to me.
4. Wrote to Expedia Corporate headquarters (very sad letter due to a staggering loss earlier this year) - The heartless souls did not reply
5. Emailed the letter to Expedia Corp - [email protected] on November 12th, 2015 - no reply
6. Disputed bank charges - in progress

Note: Expedia customer service does not existent. It makes me wonder how often this happens to people who are adverse to writing letters or who don't have the time to pursue their issues.

Since I am a writer, I'm thinking about complaining to:
1. Consumer protection agency
2. The Better Business Bureau (BBB)
3. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
4. Attorney General

Jan 5, 2015
Who did you write to at Expedia corporate? I would recommend trying our Company Contacts link at the top of the screen. Go to the first contact, and send a short, polite email explaining you tried their regular customer service first with no resolution and the problem itself and asking them to finish cancelling the trip. Email the first contact only, not everyone on the list. Wait a week, and if there is no response go to the next on the list.

If you get to the end of the list, only then would I suggest going outside of the agency - my first stop would probably be small claims court or the state Attorney General.

Dec 10, 2015
Expedia Corporate Office
333 108th Avenue NE
Bellevueu WA 98004
Dear Expedia Personel:.....

I've never disputed a bank transaction before. I was hoping my awesome credit union would come through with flying colors and take care of the refund part. Then I wouldn't need the hassle of small claims court.

Jan 5, 2015
That's actually not who I was referring to. Sorry if I was unclear. Here is the link: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/
and here are the contacts specifically.
"Executive Contacts
If you contact the company by email, you should receive an almost immediate return receipt, and a substantive reply within one week. If you don't, it's safe to assume you're being ignored. Before you reach out to one of these managers, please review these suggestions, which will increase the odds of a successful appeal.

Here are a few more executive contacts that you might find helpful:

Sarah Gavin
Head of Communications
[email protected]

Peter Andrews
Vice President, Global Customer Operations
[email protected]

Scott Weismiller
Vice President Global Customer Service Delivery
[email protected]

Liz Gorton
Customer Experience Director
[email protected]

Primary Contact
John Morrey
VP & General Manager
333 108th Ave NE
Belleview, WA 98004
(425) 679-7200
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Tucker Moodey
Manager of Global Customer Operations
333 108th Ave NE
Belleview, WA 98004
(425) 564-7200
[email protected]

Chief Executive
Dara Khosrowshahi
President and Chief Executive Officer
333 108th Ave NE
Belleview, WA 98004
(425) 564-7200
[email protected]"

I would start with Liz Gordon or Peter Andrews, then move through the other contacts, then the primary, secondary, and CEO as a last resort. Again, one at a time, wait a week.
Hope this makes more sense.

Reactions: Linda Zajac
Aug 31, 2015
Don't turn around . . . .
Dear Expedia:

I don't say this lightly;' you screwed up. Res XXXX was called and canceled within 24 hours. Expedia did not cancel both flights.

Be advised that fare class XX requires a round trip to be valid. It is not a valid fare without a round trip component. Thus, it seems pretty clear that Expedia screwed up by only cancelling the outbound portion. I called timely to cancel the trip - not the outgoing flight, but the entire trip.

Can we please just resolve this by fixing whatever needs to be fixed on your end and please credit my account back for the entire trip.

If you some reason you believe that I only canceled the outbound portion, please send a copy of the phone call recording so we can clear this up. I have already disputed the charge.

Please if you are writer - don't get creative, you will just confuse the folks who read the letters. Facts - only facts.

Dec 10, 2015
Done! I wasn't quite so blunt as to say they screwed up, but she should easily come to that conclusion. Fingers crossed that I can get this resolved before I'm scheduled to depart from Cancun (where I don't plan to be!) on 1/5.

Jan 5, 2015
There a are few circumstances someone would cancel only the outbound leg but it's not common. Hopefully they will review the tape/or see that and refund you prior to the 1/5 date. However, if not, call them prior to the flight and explain the situation - that you requested the flight be cancelled - and ask them to make a note in your passenger locator to that effect. What you don't want is to be a "no-show" in their system. Fingers crossed it doesn't get that far, though.

Dec 10, 2015
I have called them--TWICE! As I wrote in my letter, "I booked this as a round trip and thought I was cancelling a round trip. If I wanted to keep the second half I would have been very specific about that. I didn’t even think I COULD cancel half of it because it was purchased as a round trip."
The guy on the phone asked if I wanted to cancel the "Bradley to Cancun" flight. I said yes. Of course I was thinking the entire flight because it was all booked together at the same time. Who talks about their flight as the "Bradley to Cancun-Cancun to Bradley" flight. That's ridiculous. Today, I noticed the flight paperwork says "2 one-way tickets" twice (arrival and departure info). Terrific.

T

travellerdan

So Expedia did not book a round trip but rather two one-ways. As a consequence when they asked which of those to cancel it made sense to them to cancel one of the one ways and not the other, while you (and we) might never imagine that was the situation. Common sense on the part of the CSR would cause him to confirm the details explicitly rather than assume anything. You, on the other hand, had some information and a clue in the conversation that you had made an invalid assumption.

It seems to me they should make good here, but now your letter contains presumptions that are not so. It sounds like a letter should work, but it needs to be down to the barebones facts, without even the lecture about round trips, and the tape might now confirm their version rather than yours. This is the stuff that just drives people nuts.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Linda, write your letter very, very simply. Just state the facts, all the facts, in chronological order, no emotion, no finger-pointing ... like Joe sez, only a little more polite! You want the person reading your letter to instantly grasp your situation and route it to the proper department. You may have an issue with the second one-way flight, so be clear that you booked a round-trip flight and cancelled a R/T flight. Their agent should have done a better job communicating with you, but Expedia will have no trouble figuring that out, you don't have to blame anyone. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Oct 5, 2015
I noticed the flight paperwork says "2 one-way tickets" twice (arrival and departure info). Terrific.
There is a very important distinction between two one-way fares ticketed together in one ticket - versus - two one-way fares ticketed separately.
If it was the former, then all segments needed to be canceled when you told them to cancel the ticket.
It can only be ambiguous if it was the latter. Since you had to cancel BOTH tickets.
Nevertheless, they should have informed you prior the purchase if this was a "hacker" fare (which is the later).

T

travellerdan

A problem here is the LW thinks as anyone would that this is a round trip but that does not mean Expedia actually booked and got the flight ticketed that way. If any agency, OTA or other travel agency is in the loop that kind of technical detail might not be what the customer assumes it to be. A sensible travel agent would do the right thing, but a robot CSR can create a mess.

Dec 10, 2015
An Expedia search brought up this route. I booked it together and at the same time, which led me to believe it was a round trip fare. Unbeknownst to me (or somewhere that I didn't notice) they classified it as 2 one-way tickets.
When I noticed the error, I immediately called and was told there was a fee of $200 and I'd get an airline credit. At this point my voice got louder and I became assertive and said something like, "Absolutely not! I asked him to cancel the flight and he only cancelled half of it." Why should I incur a fee when he didn't do as I asked?
If this was a company with good customer service they would have taken care of this problem the first time. This leads me to believe they make a practice of shafting people and charging unjust fees. NOT FAIR!
The problem is the term "my flight" to me means my entire flight. To them (or to this clerk), it may mean a segment.
Let's say I did want to cancel the first half. What would I have said....
"Could you please cancel half my flight?"
"Could you please cancel part of my flight, the segment from Bradley to Cancun? I want to keep the Cancun to Bradley part. I love spending money on return flights when I'm not there to get on the plane."

Reactions: jsn55
Dec 10, 2015
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. It's been a crummy year and I just wanted to get away to escape the Christmas holiday. I've never had a problem with Expedia or Orbitz in the past, but I've also never needed to cancel in the past. It has taken me so much time and effort to get this resolved that it's highly doubtful I will use them in the future.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Jan 5, 2015
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. It's been a crummy year and I just wanted to get away to escape the Christmas holiday. I've never had a problem with Expedia or Orbitz in the past, but I've also never needed to cancel in the past. It has taken me so much time and effort to get this resolved that it's highly doubtful I will use them in the future.
We actually don't recommend using online travel agencies because any time there is a problem, it's a nightmare to resolve. Booking directly with the airlines or hotel gives them much more incentive to help you and eliminates an unnecessary middleman.

Oct 5, 2015
@Linda Zajac
I noticed you were not filing a complaint with the DOT.
I suggest that you do. Here's why.
When you search under Round Trips, you have a reasonable expectation that you will get a round-trip ticket. That means ONE TICKET.
You did not choose Round Trip to get 2 one-way tickets.
So unless the OTA warned you before hand that you were buying two one-way tickets, then they MISREPRESENTED what they were selling to you.
The DOT hates misrepresentation so they may take your case.
Good Luck.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
An Expedia search brought up this route. I booked it together and at the same time, which led me to believe it was a round trip fare. Unbeknownst to me (or somewhere that I didn't notice) they classified it as 2 one-way tickets.
When I noticed the error, I immediately called and was told there was a fee of $200 and I'd get an airline credit. At this point my voice got louder and I became assertive and said something like, "Absolutely not! I asked him to cancel the flight and he only cancelled half of it." Why should I incur a fee when he didn't do as I asked?
If this was a company with good customer service they would have taken care of this problem the first time. This leads me to believe they make a practice of shafting people and charging unjust fees. NOT FAIR!
The problem is the term "my flight" to me means my entire flight. To them (or to this clerk), it may mean a segment.
Let's say I did want to cancel the first half. What would I have said....
"Could you please cancel half my flight?"
"Could you please cancel part of my flight, the segment from Bradley to Cancun? I want to keep the Cancun to Bradley part. I love spending money on return flights when I'm not there to get on the plane."
Based on your sense of humor, Linda, I predict that you'll come out of this just fine. I have vivid mental images of you saying those things on the phone and am laughing. It's just such a slogging job to be persistent and not let them win. While I know that the OTAs have millions of satisfied customers, we only see the cases with problems, and the OTAs are so incredibly lax at taking care of things.