Worried about Coronovirus

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
The high degree of caution for the UK is for terrorism and not coronavirus. South Korea has high degree of caution for coronavirus.

Northern Italy has a high degree of caution for coronavirus but Italy itself is normal.

The website does not make that clear until one clicks to the particular country link — not so well designed.
Ah, good point. I was so focused on coronavirus as the reason, I didn't think to click to expand.

May 30, 2019
To the OP ...

When you go on an NCL cruise, you will learn a phrase, "Washy washy happy happy." IMHO, NCL is more aggressive about hygiene than other cruise lines -- which is a good thing.

We also have a cruise scheduled over spring break and are not concerned about the virus. We believe we're more likely to get it doing normal day to day activity around town than on an NCL ship.

Relax and enjoy -- MHO.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To the OP ...

When you go on an NCL cruise, you will learn a phrase, "Washy washy happy happy." IMHO, NCL is more aggressive about hygiene than other cruise lines -- which is a good thing.

We also have a cruise scheduled over spring break and are not concerned about the virus. We believe we're more likely to get it doing normal day to day activity around town than on an NCL ship.

Relax and enjoy -- MHO.
So true! They chase you with those bottles if you don’t voluntarily hand sanitize.

Reactions: divinemsmstl

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, I think I'm doomed. Last week I rode on a shuttle bus for 20 minutes with 17 South Korean engineers fresh off a plane. Today I read that they've closed the Louvre. In view of my little visit to Wuhan in November, I'll probably not last the night. The word pandemic is used with abandon and I find it very annoying; ... but that's how the media creates revenue. We're all wise to be concerned and take precautions. I trust my immune system and all the advice given here. If things are grim on the 20th of March, we may not get on that plane to Paris. But somehow I think it will all be under control by then. Not the virus, but the panic.

Feb 21, 2018
I received an email tonight from American Airlines letting me know that tickets purchased between March 1 and March 16, for travel between March 1, 2020 and January 26, 2021 will have one free change allowed as long as the change is made 14 days before the date of travel. While it's a short purchase window, it can be reassuring for those considering travel plans any time during the rest of this year knowing that they can change their tickets without penalty.

New travel must be completed within one year of original ticket issue date, and any change in fare will need to be paid...but at least it eliminates the $200/ticket change fees. The waiver of fees is available for all ticket classes, only for tickets purchased directly from American Airlines and does not include bookings through AAdvantage Awards.

Aug 29, 2018
Current thinking is that the ubiquitous masks being worn and purchased are also of no value.

This ius correct from a medical perspective, but epidemics can extend beyond medical effects to economic and sociological effects. We see that here in the desire for some people to postpone or cancel travel. . I've witnessed some panic buying at local supermarkets.

I do not pretend to know what the likely effects of an epidemic would be. But I do think we need to remain calm; and if wearing a mask makes someone feel safer, or reminds them to use better hybeine, then maybe it is of vaule.

Reactions: jsn55

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
"epidemics can extend beyond medical effects to economic and sociological effects"

This really relates to @msmayor comment above regarding waiving change fees for flights purchased between March 1st and 16th. Clearly, the airlines are not selling many tickets these days and need people to buy them so that their cash flow will continue. The problem with this option for the consumer, it allows the airline to hold on to your money, not you. My guess is that flights will become quite low to encourage people to continue to travel despite coronavirus.

Aug 29, 2018
This really relates to @msmayor comment above regarding waiving change fees for flights purchased between March 1st and 16th. Clearly, the airlines are not selling many tickets these days and need people to buy them so that their cash flow will continue. The problem with this option for the consumer, it allows the airline to hold on to your money, not you. My guess is that flights will become quite low to encourage people to continue to travel despite coronavirus.
This has some sense. But at the same time, some of the low margin airlines (Norwegian, I am looking at you!) may not have the capital reserves to weather a down tirn... Creating a supply shock. Less supply may mean the few who do remain flying can raise air fares, particularly as business starts to pick up.

This is why I am hesitant to predict anything -- too many unknown variables.

Reactions: Patina

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
We haven’t seen any price drops and planes are still flying full. I think it’s too soon to tell.
@Neil Maley curious.....are you guys booking as many trips as you usually do at this time of year? Without knowing the ins and outs of the travel industry, this seems like the time when people would start to plan/book their summer trips.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We are booking a ton of cruises believe it or not. Some of the cruise lines are offering incentives for cruises right now. And several families looking for the Caribbean for all inclusives. So far we haven't seen a drop.
Yup, I just booked a cruise around the UK for autumn 2021 on Princess with a very favorable promotion. Deposit's refundable, my TA's a genius, and I envision the price coming down as people stop travelling. As a former Minnesotan (or Viking as we like being called), I can almost guarantee that people will put off travelling on airplanes and cruise ships until things settle down. They won't make a fuss about it, they'll just "wait and see".

Reactions: Carol Phillips
Jun 24, 2019
We have upcoming plans for Italy, Japan and South Korea. We spent last year sweating out whether our Galapagos cruise would go as the ship faced several legal challenges, only to have the cruise cancelled on the day we were to fly to Quito. If the airlines or other travel providers cancel, so be it. But I'm not cancelling.

Feb 21, 2018
"epidemics can extend beyond medical effects to economic and sociological effects"

I actually think this helps the business traveler as well.

I brought this up at my company's normal weekly meeting. There are a number of upcoming conferences we're planning to attend in the next quarter, and it will involve buying airfare. This policy help us pull the trigger to buy the tickets knowing that, if for some reason the conferences/meetings get cancelled or rescheduled, we won't be socked with $200/ticket change fees.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina
Aug 29, 2018
Another data point: I had a business trip SFO-LAS today. I flew back at about noon; usually this flight is packed. Today, it was about one-third full.

Also --much shorter lines at TSA in both airports than usual.

Reactions: jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We have upcoming plans for Italy, Japan and South Korea. We spent last year sweating out whether our Galapagos cruise would go as the ship faced several legal challenges, only to have the cruise cancelled on the day we were to fly to Quito. If the airlines or other travel providers cancel, so be it. But I'm not cancelling.
Good Lord! I'm a Fearless Fosdick, but Japan and South Korea? Hopefully your plans are for after Christmas. I have a hunch (based on nothing, it's a hunch) that this will all be under control by the end of the year.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
A friend flew to London from SLC the other day and she said the flight was empty.

Sep 18, 2014
So true! They chase you with those bottles if you don’t voluntarily hand sanitize.
Yeah, I still chuckle when I think about the last NCL cruise we took last January. At the entrances to the buffet and to the main dining rooms, they had a couple of crew members standing near the handwashing stations, playing guitars and singing corny song parodies urging diners to "washy washy" before entering the dining areas. And @Neil Maley isn't kidding … if no "washy washy" before you entered, other crew would stop you and squirt the sanitizer on your hands.

Reactions: krisseye

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I just watched a video on proper handwashing techniques and I don't know a single person that washes their hands the right way. We could probably reduce the spread of all diseases if everyone was taught the proper way to wash hands.
Neil, can you post the link? It might be very helpful. Thanks. I have heard you need to scrub for at least twenty seconds and get under the finger nails for the washing to be effective.