Worried about Coronovirus

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 29, 2020
Hi All,

We have a cruise scheduled over spring break - just under 50 days away. We are cruising with NCL from Los Angeles down to ports in Mexico. It's a 7 night cruise. My husband wants to cancel for fear of the virus but at this point we would lose 75% of the cruise fare which we've paid in full - so thousands of dollars. We didn't get trip insurance - perhaps thats a lesson learned but I'm not sure it would have helped. Is there anything we can do at this point? Being on a cruise ship with thousands of other people sure seems like the perfect way for us all to catch the virus. It only takes one person to spread it around the whole ship and the likelihood of that is increasing every day.

I would love any thoughts/advice. We are first time cruisers. We've had friends that really enjoyed cruising with their families so we thought we'd give it a try. Now we're afraid it's going to be a nightmare.

Kindra

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have 24 people on different cruises right now and all are reporting everything is normal and people are having a great time. They are screening everyone before getting on the ship. Just had 12 get off ships in the last two weeks- no one is sick.

My wife and I are taking a group to Greece in May and we gave everyone going the option of canceling before final payment in two weeks and advised them what the penalties would be- no one canceled.

We have eight more people cruising in the next weeks and none of them have canceled.

A cancel for any reason insurance policy if the only policy that would cover this and it wouldn’t pay you back 100%. Only you can decide if you are willing to lose that much money by canceling.

Apr 10, 2017
Hi All,

We have a cruise scheduled over spring break - just under 50 days away. We are cruising with NCL from Los Angeles down to ports in Mexico. It's a 7 night cruise. My husband wants to cancel for fear of the virus but at this point we would lose 75% of the cruise fare which we've paid in full - so thousands of dollars. We didn't get trip insurance - perhaps thats a lesson learned but I'm not sure it would have helped. Is there anything we can do at this point? Being on a cruise ship with thousands of other people sure seems like the perfect way for us all to catch the virus. It only takes one person to spread it around the whole ship and the likelihood of that is increasing every day.

I would love any thoughts/advice. We are first time cruisers. We've had friends that really enjoyed cruising with their families so we thought we'd give it a try. Now we're afraid it's going to be a nightmare.

Kindra
As best you can (and it's not easy), I would advise you to try to separate science from politics. Coronavirus is serious, but don't let your decision be dominated by fear. You could miss a wonderful trip.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi All,

We have a cruise scheduled over spring break - just under 50 days away. We are cruising with NCL from Los Angeles down to ports in Mexico. It's a 7-night cruise. My husband wants to cancel for fear of the virus but at this point we would lose 75% of the cruise fare which we've paid in full - so thousands of dollars. We didn't get trip insurance - perhaps that's a lesson learned but I'm not sure it would have helped. Is there anything we can do at this point? Being on a cruise ship with thousands of other people sure seems like the perfect way for us all to catch the virus. It only takes one person to spread it around the whole ship and the likelihood of that is increasing every day.

Kindra
At this point in time, you have two choices: 1) cancel now and get 25% back, or 2) wait and hope that the cruise will be canceled. With the rapidly evolving travel restrictions to more countries, things may change greatly in 7 weeks leading to cancelation of more air and cruise destinations. No predictions can be made more specifically about the extent of the virus spread in the coming weeks.

Except for CFAR insurance, no other insurance would have helped you.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If you did not purchase cancel for any reason (CFAR) policies, cancellation will not be covered. Since that is the case, why make the decision now? If you cancel today, you lose money, if you cancel in two weeks from now you lose money. BUT the situation is so fluid that things may ramp up to government mandated cancellations which means you would not lose money. They may also wind down (though doubtful) and you will gain confidence in taking the trip as planned. I suggest holding tight until you are forced to decide.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I have a cruise leaving on the 8th and I'm not that worried about it. Making sure I have good medical coverage in case (though I always do that, my asthma makes me more susceptible and I'm just finishing up with the flu) and packing with a mind that I might get a couple more sea days since someone getting the flu is now getting ships turned away.

On the upside I got a crazy awesome free upgrade to my cabin thanks to prices dropping from the scare. I've been joking about being happy I now have a balcony if we get quarantined.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kindra, I'm making the assumption that you both are basically healthy. I'm married to your husband's evil twin and he goes off the rails about these kinds of issues as well. First, the media makes their living on "news", so most of the mainstream media should be deeply discounted on the credibility scale.

Two things: We were in Wuhan overnight on November 12. I "never get sick". I came down with a very nasty "cold" (nobody was talking about any virus yet) that lasted about ten days and ruined the rest of my tour. I actually didn't feel like my usual self until January, so I don't think it was just a cold. I look back on it now and I probably caused it myself with bad hygiene. I was only worried about gastric issues in China and did not attend to the disinfectant/hand cleaner protocols that I had planned.

We are taking a cruise out of Paris on March 20 and I'm not the slightest bit worried, and for once, neither is my husband. The disinfecting of everything on the plane that doesn't move, the protocol of not touching your face, not shaking hands, soap & water, hand cleaner ... all that worked for him in China. And it will work for us in France. A friend of mine just told me that her doc suggested putting some hand cleaner around her nostrils ... I mean, why not?

Now all this is useless if either of you have a health issue. If that's the case, please come back and we'll advise on your next steps.

jsn55: You ALWAYS give such good..and comforting! advice!! We've missed you ... reading that you were in Wuhan in November and what you learned was just what we needed to hear. My daughter and her family have a cruise scheduled for late March and no way to cancel...but they really wanted to go, just also wanted to be safe. Strict adherence to hygiene protocols ..basic stuff...makes sense. Thank you again!

Jan 30, 2018
I heard a doctor on TV says it is not the temperature of the water or the soap that gets rid of the germs, it is the friction of rubbing your hands together for at least 20 seconds

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
All should be aware that the COVID-19 virus may be an airborne transmissible agent; hand washing/"hygiene", etc. would not help prevent the spread.

Being exposed to someone who has the virus and is shedding the virus in airborne secretions is the risk one takes in crowded areas, esp indoors or on a train/plane/ship.

Current thinking is that the ubiquitous masks being worn and purchased are also of no value.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I heard a doctor on TV says it is not the temperature of the water or the soap that gets rid of the germs, it is the friction of rubbing your hands together for at least 20 seconds
Jimmy Kimmel did a skit a few years back on proper hand washing techniques and you must scrub your hands like a doctor does. That means in between your fingers and your nails as well.

Reactions: divinemsmstl

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
All should be aware that the COVID-19 virus may be an airborne transmissible agent; hand washing/"hygiene", etc. would not help prevent the spread.

Being exposed to someone who has the virus and is shedding the virus in airborne secretions is the risk one takes in crowded areas, esp indoors or on a train/plane/ship.

Current thinking is that the ubiquitous masks being worn and purchased are also of no value.
And you take the same chance with someone traveling with you that has the flu.

Christopher wrote an excellent article:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Thanks for posting the link, Neil. I clicked on the Canadian website for travel advisories and was surprised that they recommend 'exercising a high degree of caution' for the UK. That is the same level they are recommending for South Korea and Hong Kong.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for posting the link, Neil. I clicked on the Canadian website for travel advisories and was surprised that they recommend 'exercising a high degree of caution' for the UK. That is the same level they are recommending for South Korea and Hong Kong.
And nothing abut Italy? Delta is stopping flights to Milan.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
And nothing abut Italy? Delta is stopping flights to Milan.
Yeah weird, it says exercise normal security precautions for Italy. That is the same for the US yet Italy has 1694 confirmed cases at the time I am posting this.

Last edited:

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
The WHO's latest post is below . . .
Of particular import, I think, are these statements:
  • WHO continues to advise against the application of travel or trade restrictions to countries experiencing COIVD-19 outbreaks.
  • Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact.
  • It is prudent for travelers who are sick (emphasis mine) to delay or avoid travel to affected areas, in particular for elderly travelers and people with chronic diseases or underlying health conditions.
As an example, the current CDC and State department advisories for Italy are at Level 3: Reconsider Travel, which they say means to avoid nonessential travel.

I reading these and more, it seems clear that what is happening in this context (coronavirus) is typical. Destination countries and travel providers have no mandate to take action based upon warnings issued by other countries. So, it seems to this member that the cautious and perhaps prudent option is to "wait and see" up to the last minute and cancel if your concern remains high.

I do, however, respect those who choose to accept the risks and travel as planned.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 19, 2015
The high degree of caution for the UK is for terrorism and not coronavirus. South Korea has high degree of caution for coronavirus.

Northern Italy has a high degree of caution for coronavirus but Italy itself is normal.

The website does not make that clear until one clicks to the particular country link — not so well designed.