Work visit canceled, flight canceled and AA will only give a credit and not a refund.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 20, 2020
I work for Cleveland Metroparks and also volunteer for CAPRA (Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies) CAPRA is a national accreditation process agencies go through to become a nationally accredited agency. It's a lot of work and has very high standards. I volunteer as a visitor for CAPRA who when the visit is scheduled we go to the agency and tour their parks and check the standards put in place by NRPA (National Parks and Recreation Agency) and CAPRA. We are essentially looking inspecting to make sure they are doing what they say in their report.

With the visitation process the agency seeking accreditation is ultimately responsible for all travel, food and lodging. The only part handled by the visitor is to book their own flight and submit the receipts to the agency for reimbursement. Dates were selected and flights were booked and paid for by the visitors. COVID19 happened and everything started shutting down and our visit was cancelled and moved to September as a virtual visit. The agency is claiming financial hardship and will not reimburse me for the ticket if a credit is being offered.

I was able to cancel the flight but only received a credit for a future flight by the end of 2020. I spoke with someone from American Airlines when I canceled and they referred me to their customer care team. I sent them an email with the same details and they have refused my request and said I can not transfer the ticket or get a refund.

With regards to the ticket and travel, I very rarely fly for personal reasons. My family and I usually drive everywhere. 95% of my flying is work related and my agency has suspended all work related travel for 2020 so I have no use for this flight.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You should revisit the AA website and see what their policy is now. Although earlier cancellations initiated by the traveler were fairly restrictive, AA has widened the window for existing vouchers/credits and your credit may qualify for a longer period of time to use it. Since you have not listed the dates of your planned travel or when you canceled it is not possible to give specific advice.

United has moved to a 24 months period for redeeming vouchers, and 35 months to actually fly.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020
Thank You. I booked my flight on Feb 20, 2020. My flight was scheduled for April 12 at 6:30 pm and the return flight was April 16 at 10am. I was unable to cancel the flight until I got closer to the flight date. I talked to someone from AA and they told me if my flight was not within 7 days they would not help me and hung up. This was in March sometime. I did call them on April 2nd and was able to cancel and they told me there were no refunds and that I could contest the credit with their customer relations. I sent them an email on April 3rd and and recieved a reply back that they were sorry but they could not refund me and offered a credit for a future flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did AA cancel the flight or did you cancel because you there was no reason for you to travel? If AA canceled the flight, you are due a refund. If you canceled but the flight was still flying you are only due a credit. If AA was waiving cancellation fees for your flight, you should get a credit for the full amount. If they weren't waiving cancellation fees, you will have a credit good for another flight less the cancellation fees.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank You. I booked my flight on Feb 20, 2020. My flight was scheduled for April 12 at 6:30 pm and the return flight was April 16 at 10am. I was unable to cancel the flight until I got closer to the flight date. I talked to someone from AA and they told me if my flight was not within 7 days they would not help me and hung up. This was in March sometime. I did call them on April 2nd and was able to cancel and they told me there were no refunds and that I could contest the credit with their customer relations. I sent them an email on April 3rd and and recieved a reply back that they were sorry but they could not refund me and offered a credit for a future flight.
Since you say you canceled, not the airline, you are not due a refund. You are due a travel voucher for future use. Go to the AA website and look at the terms for voucher issue for traveler canceled flights. Make sure that you have been issued such a voucher either in paper copy or in a credit in your account to be used in the future. The terms for future use have been made more user friendly and the time to use the credits has been extended from the past limitations of 12 months from the date of booking (not the date of travel).

Apr 10, 2017
My viewpoint is a little different, but with the same goal of getting your money returned to you. You do volunteer work for CAPRA, they tell you where and when to go, they cancel and leave you holding the bag. They may have high standards for accreditation, but not for how they treat their volunteers. My opinion is that you need to go back to CAPRA and explain to them that their policy is not only unfair but also detrimental to their long-term ability to maintain their volunteer work force. My assumption is that you are not the sole volunteer with this problem. Why would people continue to support an organization that does not support them.

I'll give you my personal example. I volunteer for the AARP Foundation in their Tax-Aide program doing tax returns for people who ask for help. They reimburse mileage for travel to and from the sites as long as you volunteer 40 hours or more for the tax season. With the shutdown, very few volunteers were able to reach 40 hours, so the AARP Foundation did not say we won't reimburse you, au contraire, they dropped the requirement.

I would guess that you volunteer in order to give back to your community. I do not think that CAPRA's attitude is appropriate. I find it insulting to the volunteers.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020
Did AA cancel the flight or did you cancel because you there was no reason for you to travel? If AA canceled the flight, you are due a refund. If you canceled but the flight was still flying you are only due a credit. If AA was waiving cancellation fees for your flight, you should get a credit for the full amount. If they weren't waiving cancellation fees, you will have a credit good for another flight less the cancellation fees.
I canceled the flight. I do not fly often so I was looking for a refund. Work has canceled all travel for the remainder of the year and will evaluate next year.

Apr 20, 2020
My viewpoint is a little different, but with the same goal of getting your money returned to you. You do volunteer work for CAPRA, they tell you where and when to go, they cancel and leave you holding the bag. They may have high standards for accreditation, but not for how they treat their volunteers. My opinion is that you need to go back to CAPRA and explain to them that their policy is not only unfair but also detrimental to their long-term ability to maintain their volunteer work force. My assumption is that you are not the sole volunteer with this problem. Why would people continue to support an organization that does not support them.

I'll give you my personal example. I volunteer for the AARP Foundation in their Tax-Aide program doing tax returns for people who ask for help. They reimburse mileage for travel to and from the sites as long as you volunteer 40 hours or more for the tax season. With the shutdown, very few volunteers were able to reach 40 hours, so the AARP Foundation did not say we won't reimburse you, au contraire, they dropped the requirement.

I would guess that you volunteer in order to give back to your community. I do not think that CAPRA's attitude is appropriate. I find it insulting to the volunteers.
I agree but the stipulations set in the guidelines state the agency requesting the visit are responsible for all the expenses. They are the ones claiming finacial hardship with the current pandemic. CAPRA also has staff and other volunteers in the same boat. Also with that most of them plan to use the voucher and fly at a later time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I canceled the flight. I do not fly often so I was looking for a refund. Work has canceled all travel for the remainder of the year and will evaluate next year.
Unfortunately, you are not due a refund if you canceled and not the airline. Please read #5 in this post:

Reactions: Jeremy
Apr 10, 2017
I agree but the stipulations set in the guidelines state the agency requesting the visit are responsible for all the expenses. They are the ones claiming finacial hardship with the current pandemic. CAPRA also has staff and other volunteers in the same boat. Also with that most of them plan to use the voucher and fly at a later time.
Everyone has problems due to covid 19. Regardless, the onus should not be on you, the volunteer, to finance the agency that requested accreditation. CAPRA needs to step up and be in all of your corners advocating for you.

Reactions: Jeremy
Dec 14, 2016
I work for Cleveland Metroparks and also volunteer for CAPRA (Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies) CAPRA is a national accreditation process agencies go through to become a nationally accredited agency. It's a lot of work and has very high standards. I volunteer as a visitor for CAPRA who when the visit is scheduled we go to the agency and tour their parks and check the standards put in place by NRPA (National Parks and Recreation Agency) and CAPRA. We are essentially looking inspecting to make sure they are doing what they say in their report.

With the visitation process the agency seeking accreditation is ultimately responsible for all travel, food and lodging. The only part handled by the visitor is to book their own flight and submit the receipts to the agency for reimbursement. Dates were selected and flights were booked and paid for by the visitors. COVID19 happened and everything started shutting down and our visit was cancelled and moved to September as a virtual visit. The agency is claiming financial hardship and will not reimburse me for the ticket if a credit is being offered.

I was able to cancel the flight but only received a credit for a future flight by the end of 2020. I spoke with someone from American Airlines when I canceled and they referred me to their customer care team. I sent them an email with the same details and they have refused my request and said I can not transfer the ticket or get a refund.

With regards to the ticket and travel, I very rarely fly for personal reasons. My family and I usually drive everywhere. 95% of my flying is work related and my agency has suspended all work related travel for 2020 so I have no use for this flight.
While others are saying you are only entitled to credit/voucher, I actually got my money back. I canceled a flight that was supposed to fly April 1-4 on AA. I also canceled one that was supposed to fly May 16-22. I called AA to rebook the 16-22 trip with my credit. She told me that since I had an earlier flight in April, she was going to check the status of that one. Even though I canceled the flight, she told me that AA canceled the flight, too. So she said it was worth a try to ask for a refund. She did it for me and it went through, and I was refunded $$ to my credit card. I would call AA back until you get someone who will work with you. They are as stressed as we are! Hope this helps.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
If I were CAPRA, I would ask the requesting party to refund you the ticket price on condition that you sign a commitment to use the airline voucher on the next trip you make to the requesting party. If the next trip costs more than the current voucher is worth , you request reimbursement only for the difference. If the voucher is going to expire before the next trip can be requested (validity is probably now a longer period than what AA originally told you) substitute one flight for one drive you would otherwise make. Compromises all "round are required in these troubled times. Just my humble opinion, and thanks for being a volunteer!

Reactions: jsn55
Apr 20, 2020
While others are saying you are only entitled to credit/voucher, I actually got my money back. I canceled a flight that was supposed to fly April 1-4 on AA. I also canceled one that was supposed to fly May 16-22. I called AA to rebook the 16-22 trip with my credit. She told me that since I had an earlier flight in April, she was going to check the status of that one. Even though I canceled the flight, she told me that AA canceled the flight, too. So she said it was worth a try to ask for a refund. She did it for me and it went through, and I was refunded $$ to my credit card. I would call AA back until you get someone who will work with you. They are as stressed as we are! Hope this helps.
Thank You for your help. I took this advice and called them back. They found a change in the layover that was made before I canceled and that warranted me a refund. The refund just went through today!!