What is RCCL hiding?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
To round out the thread - Royal recently changed all the itineraries from Nov until I believe her drydock (I know I've seen people post on cruise critic about Jan sail dates). On the cruise critic threads I also saw posts on a few Oasis sailings that were altered because of Allure's changing itineraries - though from the post I saw Oasis was just switching days vs ports.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Aug 30, 2015
There is a question that isn't clear to me: When did RCCL decide not to go to St. Thomas, and were they accepting deposits after that decision.

If the decision was before the deposit was made, and it was still being advertised, then that should not be permitted, even if the contract reports they can change destinations. (It would be accepting the contract under false pretenses.)

But I doubt you will ever find definitively when the decision was made.
Consumers generally buy things based upon what is advertised. When there are changes due to an unforeseen circumstance and the company has to exercise an option under their T&C to make a needed change, that’s very understandable, even if it is not palatable to the consumer. It is often out of necessity.

However, when a company is advertising something to consumers which they have already changed, and they continue to advertise it, that’s an entirely different thing. It is not a situation where they “made a change under their T&C as allowed”. It is - plain and simple - false advertising.

Reactions: jsn55 and Patina

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Consumers generally buy things based upon what is advertised. When there are changes due to an unforeseen circumstance and the company has to exercise an option under their T&C to make a needed change, that’s very understandable, even if it is not palatable to the consumer. It is often out of necessity.

However, when a company is advertising something to consumers which they have already changed, and they continue to advertise it, that’s an entirely different thing. It is not a situation where they “made a change under their T&C as allowed”. It is - plain and simple - false advertising.
In this case Royal has apparently figured out there is no way to get this fixed without dry docking it and has canceled the stop on remaining itineraries.

Reactions: jsn55
Mar 12, 2019
I think it’s best to go without putting too much regard to the itinerary since ports are prone to cancellations and changes. Better to relax and enjoy.

Dec 29, 2014
Trip insurance with a "cancel for any reason" may have helped here too.
Also, most longtime cruisers understand that many factors affect where the ship can go. What if the itinerary specified Grand Cayman, and because of weather, couldn't get into port (happens often). It's one of those "go with the flow" things.
Just saying...

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
In our case missing St Thomas would have meant getting married at the courthouse at home instead of the Beach wedding that was planned for. That’s an important perspective to our trip. Happily beach wedding was a beautiful (and hot) Nov 1st....

Feb 21, 2018
One person's "not missing much" may well be another persons's "bucket list item." Kind of presumptuous to assume that your values are reflective across the board, don't you think?
A very valid point...but as anyone who has taken cruises in the past knows (and future cruisers should be made aware)...if you have a destination that is on your 'bucket list' and vital that you absolutely must get there, don't depend on a cruise to get you there. You may be disappointed.

Reactions: DChamp and jsn55

Mel65

Mar 23, 2015
A very valid point...but as anyone who has taken cruises in the past knows (and future cruisers should be made aware)...if you have a destination that is on your 'bucket list' and vital that you absolutely must get there, don't depend on a cruise to get you there. You may be disappointed.
...ok? My point was in response to the dissing of St. Thomas as a location.

Reactions: JVillegirl541
Aug 1, 2019
This whole thread is very interesting as I am having an entirely different experience with Royal Caribbean. I am scheduled to sale on Allure of the Seas on December 8th. This cruise was scheduled to go to St Kitts, St. Thomas, and Coco Cay. I was notified this week that St. Kitts was out and San Juan, Puerto Rico was in due to the propulsion issue. However, I was afforded the opportunity to cancel my cruise at no penalty.

"We can’t wait for you to experience the Eastern Caribbean, but we also understand this is an unexpected change. If you no longer wish to sail, please call us or your Travel Advisor by August 8th, 2019, and we’ll assist you in finding a new ship and sail date to move to. Or, if you choose to cancel, we’ll provide a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits. Lastly, any pre-paid amenities will also be refunded to the original form of payment within 7-10 business days if you select this option."

I chose not to cancel the cruise, but was appreciative of the opportunity to do so.

Mar 12, 2019
One person's "not missing much" may well be another persons's "bucket list item." Kind of presumptuous to assume that your values are reflective across the board, don't you think?
Agree. The saying “One man’s garbage…“ applies in travel, too.

Reactions: Mel65

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Royal Caribbean announced this is a major issue and affected not only the Allure but other ships as well because of altering of the Allure itineraries. They’ve changed more than 30 cruises to avoid overcrowding in the ports that Allure is now calling on.

Reactions: VoR61