What is RCCL hiding?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Holland America has several cruises going to St Thomas in late Oct. The Niew Amsterdam sails that route and she is a gorgeous ship. Rates for Balcony Cabins are around $850pp and they have some great included freebies. My daughter got married in St Thomas last Oct and we knew we risked that port being skipped due to weather, it was a risk we accepted.

Reactions: Patina and jsn55
Aug 29, 2018
There is a question that isn't clear to me: When did RCCL decide not to go to St. Thomas, and were they accepting deposits after that decision.

If the decision was before the deposit was made, and it was still being advertised, then that should not be permitted, even if the contract reports they can change destinations. (It would be accepting the contract under false pretenses.)

But I doubt you will ever find definitively when the decision was made.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
RCCL does not care and the contract allows them to do what ever they want and go or not go wherever they want to. The OP will never get their questions answered no matter how many times or ways they ask.

May 1, 2018
There is a question that isn't clear to me: When did RCCL decide not to go to St. Thomas, and were they accepting deposits after that decision.
The OP says he made his booking in "late April". A google search for the term "allure of the seas propulsion issues" returns relevant results dated as early as May 2 2019.

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 19, 2015
The OP says he made his booking in "late April". A google search for the term "allure of the seas propulsion issues" returns relevant results dated as early as May 2 2019.
I think the initial deposit may have been in March and final payments in April? From Post #7:

"but still sold me an itinerary going to St. Thomas in late March,"

The dry dock in the Bahamas was damaged by a crain falling onto another ship on April 1 -- that must be a big oops-- and it likely took time to figure out how extensive the damage was, and hard to get a firm repair date -- there certainly is a lot of issues now, add in all the Cuba cancellations -- does seem like a mess.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
I think the initial deposit may have been in March and final payments in April? From Post #7:

"but still sold me an itinerary going to St. Thomas in late March,"

The dry dock in the Bahamas was damaged by a crain falling onto another ship on April 1 -- that must be a big oops-- and it likely took time to figure out how extensive the damage was, and hard to get a firm repair date -- there certainly is a lot of issues now, add in all the Cuba cancellations -- does seem like a mess.
Royal's final payment date is 90 days before sail date. Which for an Oct 6 sailing that would have been July 8 I believe. So it had just passed when the OP posted.

Jul 9, 2019
Use our company contacts and start writing to the Executives. We can’t do anything else for you except to advise you to do that.

You are wasting time by not going to RCCL using our contacts. Please read this on how to escalate and let us know what they say.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Took your advice and contacted the RCCL contacts you provided.
I received a response from Javier Perdomo, Royal Guest Experience Management - Executive Team
He basically told me nothing different then all the other contacts from RCCL except that he is disappointed in my continued dissatisfaction with RCCL"s previous responses, there will be no further information provided regarding my questioning how the ship can get there in November but not in October and while they appreciate my feedback , this will be their final response to this itinerary change regardless of the avenue in which you contact RCCL.
In other words they have our money and that's all that matters!

Jun 27, 2017
Based on what TommyB has said, he may have already gone up the chain as far as RCCI is willing to let him go. He posted this earlier from Kally Magoo.

After numerous attempts to get RCCL to see reason on this and after Kally Magoo sent me an Email, and I quote:
" I regret your continued dissatisfaction with my response, however, please note this executive decision has been made after thorough research by the appropriate departments. We are unable to offer any additional information regarding this matter. We apologize for any further disappointment but once again, this has been thoroughly reviewed as necessary b fore confirming and communicating the changes with our guests.
While we appreciate your feedback, this will be the final response in regards to this itinerary change"

Jun 27, 2017
Christina H ... your post #34 lists all the possible reasons Allure of the Seas (one of RCI's largest ships sailing the seas with a draft of 31') may be the exact reason she cannot dock in St. Thomas in October. And the reasons you stated that RCI will not divulge several issues, because RCI like many cruise lines, consider this information proprietary. You are very knowledgeable about cruising for someone who has not cruised. Bravo!

I suspect RCI is still advertising that she will port in St. Thomas this November because circumstances may change between today, July 18, and November. And yes, the dry dock in the Bahamas was damaged, which may have prevented Allure of the Seas going there for a quick fix. And yes, "Allure of the Seas will undergo a 58-day, $165 million transformation in 2020. It is scheduled to be completed by May 2020.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You're trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. RCCL has made it clear that they are not going to answer your questions or respond to your concerns. Time to cancel and rebook, or relax and go with the flow. For the record, St Thomas is no big deal ... hordes of people tromping up and down narrow sidewalks in and out of shops which promise incredible bargains and a few lovely beaches a taxi-ride away. You can find this in many of the other ports.

Jun 27, 2017
Agree with you Jan. We have been to St. Thomas twice, most recently in January 2019. It is still recovering from the hurricane(s) and yes, there are sights to see. But the same can be said about many other islands in the Caribbean. If they really wanted to go to St. Thomas, a few hours in port may not meet their expectations. Both times we were there, the dock time was 8AM-5PM, which means around 8:30AM-4:30PM. Doing a specific trip and staying several nights on St. Thomas may be much better.

Reactions: jsn55
Mar 12, 2019
You're trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. RCCL has made it clear that they are not going to answer your questions or respond to your concerns. Time to cancel and rebook, or relax and go with the flow. For the record, St Thomas is no big deal ... hordes of people tromping up and down narrow sidewalks in and out of shops which promise incredible bargains and a few lovely beaches a taxi-ride away. You can find this in many of the other ports.
I would go with the flow and forget the rest:)

Sep 27, 2017
Thommy, you sound a lot like me. I hate getting screwed over and lied to by corporations.

I'd move on, but put a pin in this.

Come November, I'd take a peek and see if the ship did reach St. Thomas that month. If the ship does not reach port, I'd toss a note to the FTC or other regulatory body dealing with advertising. I sure wouldn't give too much energy to this as the cruise line would rather pay attorneys to write contracts than involve themselves with us peasants, and pay those attorneys well.

You may also want to visit cruisecritic.com about this. There may be others in you proverbial boat that have written on that site, and you can see things from their perspective.

Aug 30, 2015
The OP is trying to make the point that the cruise line is STILL ADVERTISING that they stop at the port when they are in fact not. This is false advertising and if it isn't against the law, it should be. These laws and contracts of carriage that people keep referring to should be for when they change the ports after the fact. It is intended to protect the cruise line if they have to change something down the line.

Are we so caught up in "terms and conditions" that we cannot see when a firm is advertising one thing and delivering another (not changing it due to unforeseen conditions after the fact)?

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
This is not a new thing with cruise lines though - I would think if it truly was false advertising it would have stopped by now. Though by stopping I would think cruise lines would just make itineraries generic like Caribbean cruise, Europe cruise, Alaska cruise, etc and not verify ports until shortly before the cruise.

This is not just a Royal thing. I was on an NCL eastern cruise after the hurricanes a few years ago and they waited a long time before switching mine to western 5+ months after the hurricanes. And even after other cruise lines had returned to eastern.

Carnival had problems with vista and knew they would either have to continue altering their itineraries or canceling several to dry dock. It took a while after they knew there was a problem before they announced what they were going to do.

It's the nature of cruises. They can't just bring in a replacement ship like airlines can and they're at the mercy of an unpredictable sea. That's why I cruise on ships I'm ok if I'm stuck on for more than I originally thought.

Reactions: Carrie Livingston
Apr 8, 2019
John, the contract the OP agreed to has a stipulation that the only resolution can pursue is binding arbitration, so I agree with everyone else to just go, reschule on a different ship, or ask for whatever refund they offer .
"In the interest of resolving disputes between you and Company in the most expedient and cost-effective manner, you and Company agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. This agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND THE COMPANY ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, AND THAT THIS AGREEMENT WILL BE SUBJECT TO AND GOVERNED BY THE FEDERAL ARBITRATION ACT. "

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The OP is trying to make the point that the cruise line is STILL ADVERTISING that they stop at the port when they are in fact not. This is false advertising and if it isn't against the law, it should be. These laws and contracts of carriage that people keep referring to should be for when they change the ports after the fact. It is intended to protect the cruise line if they have to change something down the line.

Are we so caught up in "terms and conditions" that we cannot see when a firm is advertising one thing and delivering another (not changing it due to unforeseen conditions after the fact)?
Bill, we can read, there's no need to chastise your colleagues. I don't think any of us are interested in giving advice on how to stop RCCL from false advertising, if that's what it is. We are here to assist travellers in unscrewing problems. And that's from whence our advice comes.