Weird CC guarantee info

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I just read this from a guy who drilled down to see what the real policy was on an upcoming Marriott res: "Your reservation is not guaranteed if you arrive late. Please note that your room will only be guaranteed until 6:00 p.m. on the day of your expected arrival." They're saying that they won't hold a guaranteed room for you, but if YOU don't show up, they'll charge you. A most interesting take on customer service, eh? Marriott must be taking lessons from the airlines. If this is true, it's stunning. Any opinions or intel on whether this little tidbit? It would certainly preclude me from ever staying at a Marriott anywhere.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Wow....yet another one sided term of use. I thought that guaranteeing with a credit card gives you the flexibility of showing up late.

Reactions: jsn55

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
What that means is if you are going to be late -call the hotel and let them know.
And, if you can't call? For example, stuck in the air, circling an airport waiting for landing clearance? I think that if you have a credit card on file to guarantee your room then you should be able to check in after 6 PM without jumping through hoops. Now, if you don't show up by say 10 or 11 PM, then that is a different story in my opinion.

Jun 24, 2019
Perhaps the actual language can be posted. I don't see that on the Marriott site. I've always understood that by providing the credit card, I've guaranteed the room for the night, regardless of when I arrive. As Patina notes, there may be good reason why you are late and can't call.

I did discover a few years back that even when paid in advance, if you do not check in by 3:00 a.m. the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will release your room. I was going to arrive after 3:00 a.m., and we called from the road. No problem, and the room was held.

Reactions: jsn55

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
One way we address this is during the reservation process. In the notes section we indicate that this will be a "late arrival", and then state, for example, "by 10:00 PM". Whether or not they have the "guarantee" language, it tells them we expect to be "late".

And I'd follow that up with a phone call the day before . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
One way we address this is during the reservation process. In the notes section we indicate that this will be a "late arrival", and then state, for example, "by 10:00 PM". Whether or not they have the "guarantee" language, it tells them we expect to be "late".

And I'd follow that up with a phone call the day before . . .
We do as well and we also call the hotel for clients that we know will be checking in late.