Weird $900 credit for same flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2017
Can someone help me understand this? I'm sorry but this may be a little complicated.

I booked a flight from Birmingham, AL (BHM) to Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) last month to depart December 4th. 2020. My outgoing flight, DL 116, departing BHM at 2:48 arriving ATL 4:52. With the flight from ATL to SAO (DL 105) departing at 8:49. This gave me 3+ hours in Atlanta. I chose that flight to give me plenty of time. I am leaving from Alabama, and any forecast of snow will cause the state/region to go into panic mode, hence the desire for additional time.

5 days ago I received an email from Delta telling me they had changed my flight to one leaving BHM 2 hours later (DL 2813/105). This would give me less than 2 hours of cushion for an international flight. I wanted the additional safety time in ATL, so I was unhappy. The Delta website continued to show my flights (DL 116/105) as available and with seats in my booked category available (Category Z - First/Delta One). I attempted to call Delta and then tried to chat with a Delta representative but was unable to contact a live person. I waited till today (5days), then changed my flight back to DL 116/105. I obtained a confirmation and seat reservations for both flights. I did note that my original seat on flight DL 105 is now unavailable, however, there are still plenty of seats available on that flight. I also received a $900 credit as this flight (my original flight) is now $900 less than the flight they changed me to (and I changed back from). My receipt on My Delta shows the $900 credit.

For what it is worth, the same itinerary now (2 hours later) is $1300 higher for either itinerary. I'm totally confused.
My questions:

Why would they change my original flight when the same flight and times with seats are still available?

Are they really going to credit me $900 to take the flight I originally booked?

Is this possibly just some weird computer glitch and I should expect to not get the flight credit and/or the flights I want?

Should I do anything or just wait to see how things play out?

Thank you for any input you can give.

crdoms

Nov 22, 2019
I guess the total price was about $4000-$5000 for delta one to Brazil so it's possible that the price changed and $900 is possible (not an error fare), it is about $1300 decrease in fare and $400 change fees.

You can contact Delta to know how to use the credit. Good job for booking on Delta directly and you got lucky!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Can someone help me understand this? I'm sorry but this may be a little complicated.

I booked a flight from Birmingham, AL (BHM) to Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) last month to depart December 4th. 2020. My outgoing flight, DL 116, departing BHM at 2:48 arriving ATL 4:52. With the flight from ATL to SAO (DL 105) departing at 8:49. This gave me 3+ hours in Atlanta. I chose that flight to give me plenty of time. I am leaving from Alabama, and any forecast of snow will cause the state/region to go into panic mode, hence the desire for additional time.

5 days ago I received an email from Delta telling me they had changed my flight to one leaving BHM 2 hours later (DL 2813/105). This would give me less than 2 hours of cushion for an international flight. I wanted the additional safety time in ATL, so I was unhappy. The Delta website continued to show my flights (DL 116/105) as available and with seats in my booked category available (Category Z - First/Delta One). I attempted to call Delta and then tried to chat with a Delta representative but was unable to contact a live person. I waited till today (5days), then changed my flight back to DL 116/105. I obtained a confirmation and seat reservations for both flights. I did note that my original seat on flight DL 105 is now unavailable, however, there are still plenty of seats available on that flight. I also received a $900 credit as this flight (my original flight) is now $900 less than the flight they changed me to (and I changed back from). My receipt on My Delta shows the $900 credit.

For what it is worth, the same itinerary now (2 hours later) is $1300 higher for either itinerary. I'm totally confused.
My questions:

Why would they change my original flight when the same flight and times with seats are still available?

Is this possibly just some weird computer glitch and I should expect to not get the flight credit and/or the flights I want?

crdoms
It may be a computer glitch as the system is extremely overloaded now. I would simply wait several months until air travel returns to a least a semblance of normalcy to sort this out. Even if you "sort it out" now the booking will likely change many times before Dec 2020.

It is likely than any flights scheduled for Dec 2020 will be rescheduled as passenger traffic numbers become more predictable.
Did you book this ticket before the current airline crisis?

Jan 6, 2017
Thank you both for the replies. I booked this after the virus craziness started, realize there is some risk in that.

You're right I do expect the flight times to change by December. I guess I'll just continue to watch. It seemed strange that I could re-book my original flight that I could see no reason why they changed me, and get $900 in credit to do so.

crdoms

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

My questions:

crdoms
I think you've just been caught in the back office insanity that is an airline right now. Thank goodness your trip's not until December. If life starts back to normal in June, things should settle down by August. Then you'll be able to see everything correctly on the website or just call and get the matter sorted out. Check your flights every week to be sure there's no reason to be forced to deal with this for a few months. BTW, I had no idea that it ever snowed in Alabama!

Last edited:

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@jsn55 off topic but when I lived in Mobile, we got snow a couple of times. Didn't really stick but definitely shut the city down. I'll bring my snow blower, shovel, and salt when I move back down there, just in case. We had snow several times when we lived in Birmingham.

• Haha
Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy