Walmart pay card can't verify online account help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
According to the link, they still need a bank account so that clarifies that she must already have an account.

We’re questioning this because the preparer can’t be reached and refused to help her with their mistake.

“Yes that first response is correct and no it's just him and his girlfriend and they come to the office whenever they want they are not there all the time”

I’m questioning whether he is a legitimate tax preparer. She can’t get her money, he made the error and is not willing to try and fix his mistake.

Alicia, I think you should try and contact our Walmart contacts. I think you may need the help of an executive.

Is this the way this worked?

- Had your taxes prepared by tax preparer(name) on xx/xx.
-He signed you up to have your refund direct deposited using a Walmart card.
- The tax preparer put your email account wrong when he filled out the information.
- You are unable to access the funds because of this and Walmart claims they can’t help.

Do I have this correct?

Attachments

Reactions: divinemsmstl
Feb 3, 2017
Is he (and she?) certified public accountants? Most (if not all) states have an agency in which you can file a complaint about this accountant.

Reactions: VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
Walmart money card is a branded prepaid debit card.

“The Walmart MoneyCard MasterCard Card is issued by Green Dot Bank pursuant to a license from MasterCard International Incorporated. The Walmart MoneyCard Visa Card is issued by Green Dot Bank pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A Inc. Green Dot Corporation is a member service provider for Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC. MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association. The use of this Card is subject to the terms of your Cardholder Agreement. Green Dot is a registered trademark of Green Dot Corporation.”

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/account/tax-season

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
None of this explains how or why the tax man got ahold of her tax refund or, how much of a fee he charged her to do this.
Is anyone able to get a refund “assigned” to them, bypassing the taxpayer? This just all seems odd to me.
Especially, as she reports that he is unwilling to fix his error.

Reactions: divinemsmstl

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you read the link msmayor posted, the consumer themselves an assign their payments to the card. The taxes get direct deposited to the card. The tax preparer doesn’t touch her money from what the site says.

I don’t understand why a tax preparer would do something like this.

Sep 19, 2015
If you read the link msmayor posted, the consumer themselves an assign their payments to the card. The taxes get direct deposited to the card. The tax preparer doesn’t touch her money from what the site says.

I don’t understand why a tax preparer would do something like this.

There is an chain tax preparing company that has a storefront near me — the advertise these prepaid debit cards as a faster way to get the tax refund vs the paper check in the mail.

And if someone does not have a traditional bank account then these prepaid debit cards are an option.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
NAPLES FL or Denver CO
There is an chain tax preparing company that has a storefront near me — the advertise these prepaid debit cards as a faster way to get the tax refund vs the paper check in the mail.

And if someone does not have a traditional bank account then these prepaid debit cards are an option.
If the taxpayer assigned the tax refund to the Walmart card herself, as was previously reported, how the heck did the tax man get involved to the point of entering her email address incorrectly?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
If the taxpayer assigned the tax refund to the Walmart card herself, as was previously reported, how the heck did the tax man get involved to the point of entering her email address incorrectly?
Those cards need to be activated and the card companies market themselves to tax preparers. So the card may have come from the tax guy. The chain tax preparer near me gives the cards to people for their refunds.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m wondering if they have to do it if they are offering the card for their clients or do it as a courtesy if the consumer isn’t computer savvy. My accountant inputs our bank account and email info in for direct deposit of our return, I don’t see this as much different.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil, I get that this tax man did that.
I was asking Christina if the tax man bynher house does this, or was this an anomaly...
Honestly I do not know as I do not use them. But they have sings in the window so the cards come from them (versus tax payer bringing their own card).