Walmart.com vendor mask scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 8, 2020
Before it was taken down just last night, this company, Mancro, had several options of facemasks. This is the current Mancro mask option still online at Walmart. (If they take down a problem vendor, why wouldn't they take down all their products?) Below are the reviews that I printed out for the product yesterday.(They are no longer on line but they are still selling masks from the same company.) I was buying these for my 91 year old dad who is in assisted living!

Now I am not confident about any vendor that sells on Walmart.com because they obviously don't vet their vendors! This is preying on the fear of people that are desperate to protect themselves. Even if they take down, what about those of us who have already ordered. Do I have to pay to return items that may be make up brushes, even though the picture on the web page is masks and the description is masks.

This is truly horrible!
I want:
1) my money back
2) Walmart to pay for the "so-called masks" to be returned. I am not making a trip and jeopardizing my health to return them to a store. They need to send a pre-shipping label
3) Take down all vendors of masks that they have not vetted properly

Mancro
50pcs Disposable Masks,3 Ply Breathable and Comfortable Masks
Average rating:0out of5stars, based on0reviewsWrite a review
Mancro
$48.99
123456789101112Qty:
Add to Cart
Free delivery
Arrives by Fri, Apr 10
Pickup not available
More delivery & pickup options
Sold & shipped byMancro

1586359009119.png

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Walmart has started to try and compete with Amazon by opening their platform up to other sellers. And, much like Amazon, they don't really vet the sellers. Much like I almost exclusively select product fulfilled through Amazon, when I'm searching Walmart I scroll down to the filters and only select Walmart as the seller.

Not super helpful in this instance, but a good thing to be aware of going forward.

Reactions: FrankL183
Sep 19, 2015
Walmart cannot vet all their vendors. Like amazon it is reactive and not proactive.

Buying online is truly buyer beware.

Have the masks not arrived? What is the problem at this point?

I believe almost half of the masks made in the world are made in China — there are good and bad quality ones

Apr 8, 2020
Did you read reviews before you bought? Can’t you cancel your order?
To Neil Maley: There were zero reviews posted when I ordered the masks. I saw the reviews when I thought about reordering more for my family. I tried to cancel but because it’s part of the Walmart Marketplace, the link took me to email address of vendor. There was no reply and frankly no incentive to reply.

I did speak with a Walmart customer service person and she assured me there will be pre-paid return labels in the boxes. I asked would the label work even if it shipped directly from China. She said they started returning Marketplace items to a warehouse in the U.S. to expedite credits on returns. Stay tuned about that. She also told me the stores do not take back Marketplace items at the store locations. She also was familiar with the issue but did not know why the other mask products from that company we deleted.

Apr 8, 2020
Why is this a scam? What did you receive in your order?
To weihlac: Maybe I don’t know the correct definition of scam but when there are 5 photos of masks and the item name and description says masks and the reviews say they get make up brushes.....at the very least it’s dishonest and a purposeful deception.

I am trying to be proactive about returning and getting my account credit because, the reviewers of the product I ordered, got brushes. And I am hoping that drawing attention to this will force them to take those products off the website. I will still be ok if I lose my money but for some people who order now (because it’s still on the website) they will be ripped off!

Apr 8, 2020
Walmart cannot vet all their vendors. Like amazon it is reactive and not proactive.

Buying online is truly buyer beware.

Have the masks not arrived? What is the problem at this point?

I believe almost half of the masks made in the world are made in China — there are good and bad quality ones
o Christina: Nothing has arrived yet but based on the reviews of the specific product ordered, I’m assuming I’ll get brushes.

I work for a retailer that receives a large percentage of their goods from China. The products go to a warehouse, inspected and then shipped out to customers. we also carry goods from other vendors and they are vetted. I wrongly assumed that companies would prefer to protect their brand

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
WalMart is a place that supposedly has the cheapest everything. Something as important as a mask to protect an elderly person should be purchased from a retailer you can trust to sell you good quality products. Buyers should think about just why everything is cheap at WalMart ... it's not magic. I hope that you can get the masks for your father from a reputable supplier. This goes for any product that is needed for health care, especially for the people who may be susceptible to sickness.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
WalMart is a place that supposedly has the cheapest everything. Something as important as a mask to protect an elderly person should be purchased from a retailer you can trust to sell you good quality products. Buyers should think about just why everything is cheap at WalMart ... it's not magic. I hope that you can get the masks for your father from a reputable supplier. This goes for any product that is needed for health care, especially for the people who may be susceptible to sickness.
Walmart actually does a decent job of vetting the products they themselves sell but when they created a marketplace similar to Amazon it pretty much has the same rules as any Amazon product not produced by Amazon and, to a lesser extent, not fulfilled by Amazon (they still don't fully vet all fulfilled items, but you have a lot more protections in my experience to return crappy items). I will buy most things from Walmart - their low prices come from market share vs quality a lot of the time (though one can argue the morals of that) - but I with out a doubt filter so I only see items sold by Walmart when I search their website. Much like I won't buy most things if it's not Prime - and it has more to do with returns than 2 day shipping.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
o Christina: Nothing has arrived yet but based on the reviews of the specific product ordered, I’m assuming I’ll get brushes.

I work for a retailer that receives a large percentage of their goods from China. The products go to a warehouse, inspected and then shipped out to customers. we also carry goods from other vendors and they are vetted. I wrongly assumed that companies would prefer to protect their brand
Since you have received nothing from your order you should revisit this site when you receive your order. Calling this a scam is premature. If you receive what you ordered you will have gotten what you ordered.

DZ5

Apr 17, 2020
Hi sandyt, I was wondering if you received the masks you ordered? I, too, ordered masks from the Walmart.Com website sold by MANCRO on April 1st. I noticed that Walmart had numerous products from MANCRO so I felt relatively comfortable ordering. I received an email the following day saying that the order was received....with delivery between April 8 to April 13. On April 3rd, I received another e mail from Walmart saying the masks were shipped and it gave me a USPS tracking number. Giving the USPS as the shipper lent a believe-ability to the purchase....when in fact they were shipping from China and using a Chinese shipping company...neither of which was on the product page.

This is where the whole thing falls apart. MANCRO apparently used a different shipper from their location.....Jet-E-Commerce Logistic Inc. They are supposed to turn over the masks to the USPS to complete the delivery. The problem is that when you attempt to track the shipment you get this type of info:

April 3, 2020, 3:24 pm
Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899
Shipping Partner: JET E-COMMERCE LOGISTIC INC

April 3, 2020, 4:15 pm
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899

April 9, 2020, 8:55 pm
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899
Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 8:55 pm on April 9, 2020 in ANAHEIM, CA 92899. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

After researching shipping help sites..... There are dozens of complaints about this shipper. Many stating they're waiting for months. Others say they never got their order ever.

I'm still waiting for the masks or at least an update from the tracking number. USPS still has not received them. First & last time I ever order anything from the Walmart.Com site.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi sandyt, I was wondering if you received the masks you ordered? I, too, ordered masks from the Walmart.Com website sold by MANCRO on April 1st. I noticed that Walmart had numerous products from MANCRO so I felt relatively comfortable ordering. I received an email the following day saying that the order was received....with delivery between April 8 to April 13. On April 3rd, I received another e mail from Walmart saying the masks were shipped and it gave me a USPS tracking number. Giving the USPS as the shipper lent a believe-ability to the purchase....when in fact they were shipping from China and using a Chinese shipping company...neither of which was on the product page.

This is where the whole thing falls apart. MANCRO apparently used a different shipper from their location.....Jet-E-Commerce Logistic Inc. They are supposed to turn over the masks to the USPS to complete the delivery. The problem is that when you attempt to track the shipment you get this type of info:

April 3, 2020, 3:24 pm
Picked Up by Shipping Partner, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899

April 3, 2020, 4:15 pm
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899

April 9, 2020, 8:55 pm
Departed Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item
ANAHEIM, CA 92899
Your item departed a shipping partner facility at 8:55 pm on April 9, 2020 in ANAHEIM, CA 92899. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

After researching shipping help sites..... There are dozens of complaints about this shipper. Many stating they're waiting for months. Others say they never got their order ever.

I'm still waiting for the masks or at least an update from the tracking number. USPS still has not received them. First & last time I ever order anything from the Walmart.Com site.
This is not at all unique to Walmart. Amazon has many items for sale that are shipped directly from China via some shipping operation that then links to the USPS. The items take 2-4+ weeks to arrive. This may change now with the current worldwide pandemic, but will likely reoccur in the future.

Apr 8, 2020
DZ5.,
I have not received my masks but I was assured by Walmart Customer service that they will cover my costs, whether I get makeup brushes or nothing. I learned the lesson the hard way! ‍♀I would contact Walmart customer service. They were familiar with the problem, for sure!

Reactions: Dcliffo and DZ5

DZ5

Apr 17, 2020
DZ5.,
I have not received my masks but I was assured by Walmart Customer service that they will cover my costs, whether I get makeup brushes or nothing. I learned the lesson the hard way! ‍♀I would contact Walmart customer service. They were familiar with the problem, for sure!
Thanks for the info sandy.
I made the mistake a second time. On April 4th I ordered another package of masks I wanted to send my family. I went thru Walmart.Com but this time the seller was JOYBUY. However the same thing happened. They used the same JET-E Commerce for their shipping too and I haven't received those either.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’d advise you to stop trying to buy masks online. These are almost all made by Chinese companies and shipping can take months. You aren’t getting shipping information because they are likely being shipped from China and there is no delivery confirmation. Legitimate masks from US companies are going to health care workers here.

There are many instructions online only how to make masks. Or buy bandannas and use them. They are not N95 but the suffice for the CDC guidelines for a face covering.

I just did a search for that company in Walmart and reviews for their products don’t quite look legitimate. Very few are verified purchasers, that should be a red flag.

A Google search for Joybuy revealed that immediately it is a Chinese company.

Attachments

May 30, 2019
A bit OT: Consider etsy-dot-com for reusable, washable masks. Not medical grade, but often handmade. Be sure to look at the expected shipping date and filter for only those made in the US (because otherwise delivery time is long).

Apr 18, 2020
I also ordered masks from WalMart online. The vendor Mancro. When they didn't arrive as promised , WalMart refunded my money within 2 days. But I used our WalMart card. Not sure if that made a difference. I've since ordered really nice homemade masks from Etsy.com. From sellers here in Florida.

Reactions: DZ5 and Neil Maley
Apr 18, 2020
It's a scam because item is never shipped. Within hours of being given a "tracking number", I was told there would a shipping delay due to package being lost. Very weird. Walmart was aware something weird going on. They reacted quickly.

Reactions: Deke1102 and DZ5