VRBO not refunding even though we cancelled well within the cancellatio period

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 18, 2020
We had booked a VRBO in NYC on Feb 24. On March 31, we cancelled well within the period in which we are entitled to a full refund. VRBO has refunded our $141service fee but the owner still has not given us one cent of our $1672 rental.

Needless to say, I will NEVER book through them again and am sharing this story as widely as possible.

May 18, 2020
Refund policy was complete refund if cancelled with enough advance notice.

From listing online: Free cancellation 100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before arrival date. 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days before arrival date.

I just checked online again and found this:
Cancellation policy

Due to the unprecedented volume of travel disruptions, refunds will take 3 to 4 weeks to be applied to your account. We appreciate your patience during this time.

• The dates selected do not qualify for a refund if your trip is cancelled.
However, I have many email saying that I do indeed qualify for a refund.

Reservation ID9362cd5d-2874-4d3c-8a17-44d503ad0b91
Property # 9272780ha

May 18, 2020
What was the date you were supposed to check in? I see this when I try to book, it tells me what the free cancellation date goes to. You receipt should have that date as well.
oops, sorry. We were supposed to check in May 24 and leave June 1.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well you were certainly far enough out. Have you contacted your credit card company and filed a dispute? You have the proof the owner isn’t honoring their own cancellation agreement.

We have had many complaints about VRBO not backing up renters. This might help you understand what you are up against with VRBO. See #7:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If the owner has not refused to refund you, s/he probably doesn't have the cash to do so. You're the only one who can determine how long you will be patient. This is a sorry mess all the way around, and everyone is suffering from the lockdown. My only hope is that some sense comes to the Vacation Rental market and it can continue to grow without alienating most of its customers. It's such a great concept. The VRBOs of the world need to step up and behave like business people, they can't continue to pretend that they have no responsibility for anything other than a pretty website that's easy to use.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
If the owner has not refused to refund you, s/he probably doesn't have the cash to do so. You're the only one who can determine how long you will be patient. This is a sorry mess all the way around, and everyone is suffering from the lockdown. My only hope is that some sense comes to the Vacation Rental market and it can continue to grow without alienating most of its customers. It's such a great concept. The VRBOs of the world need to step up and behave like business people, they can't continue to pretend that they have no responsibility for anything other than a pretty website that's easy to use.
Even if that is the case, that's their problem not Jan's and a credit card dispute should resolve the issue.

May 18, 2020
oops, sorry. We were supposed to check in May 24 and leave June 1.
Has the owner refused to refund you or just hasn't yet?
Well you were certainly far enough out. Have you contacted your credit card company and filed a dispute? You have the proof the owner isn’t honoring their own cancellation agreement.

We have had many complaints about VRBO not backing up renters. This might help you understand what you are up against with VRBO. See #7:

No, haven't followed up with credit card company. Is that your best suggestion? I really thought that the owner was going to pay.

I realize the owner is probably overextended, but right now I don't think that should be my problem. They should have some sort of business interruption insurance or other means to make this good. At this point don't think it is such a great concept when it leaves people like me who paid in full without any recourse.

May 18, 2020

One more thought - we were traveling for a wedding on May 31 which has been postponed indefinitely. I can't ask the owner to reschedule because I don't know when the wedding will be.

May 18, 2020
Your credit card is your only hope and you should file a dispute right now. You only have a certain time frame to file a dispute. Do it now.
OK, I take it there is nothing more you can do in terms of contacting the company? Appreciate your help, wish I could reschedule but don't think that will work.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
OK, I take it there is nothing more you can do in terms of contacting the company? Appreciate your help, wish I could reschedule but don't think that will work.
Even if there was, as Neil said, the best and easiest solution is to dispute it with the credit card company. They will most likely remove the charge temporarily, or permanently when it's resolved.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
They should have some sort of business interruption insurance or other means to make this good
I've read a couple articles that after SARS a lot of insurance companies took that as a warning bell and removed it from a lot of policies. I believe most of the people are small operations and likely have no sway in policies. That's assuming one can even get revenue insurance on a vacation rental and that they paid for it.

Reactions: Marjorie Pinard

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Business interruption insurance usually covers the owner in the case of damage to the insured property, not pandemics. This is exactly why there is a class action lawsuit happening for restaurants. They all had business interruption insurance but the insurance companies are denying their claims based on the fact that the policy was intended to cover them in case of fire damage, etc.

May 18, 2020
We tell you the best way to advocate for yourself. If you have already appealed to VRBO, then the cc dispute is your only option.
Yet one more thought - my initial contact was Michelle Couch-Friedman and she wrote "Our public forums are read by company representatives, and they could see it and try to resolve this quickly." Has anyone ever posted in this forum and heard back from VRBO?

Sep 23, 2019
I wrote this reply last night and forgot to hit SEND but most of it still applies (I think).

From my perspective as a Host that lists property on VRBO, something is not right here.
How did you cancel? Did you initiate the cancellation on your end by going to the VRBO dashboard, clicking MY TRIPS, selecting that particular Reservation, then clicking CANCEL?

If so, and you were entitled to a full refund, it is usually out of the Owners hands as VRBO will just pull money out of the Owners account and refund. These days they are taking 3 weeks just to START the transfer of funds from my account for a refund. I don’t know how long they hold onto the funds after that before refunding the Guest account. That is just my experience.

That being said, there is an issue that may explain this if the scenario you state is correct.
VRBO/HomeAway switched payment processors at the end of 2019.
One of the things they needed Hosts/Owners to do was a new agreement to DEBIT funds from their bank accounts in the event that a refund was necessary. A number of Hosts balked at this and put it off. VRBO continued to try to get everyone to agree to the Debit Authorization but it may be possible that this Host/Owner never did, so VRBO literally can’t pull the money out.

If that is the case, your only option that I can see is a chargeback on your credit card for the remaining amount as mentioned above. (Or the reschedule of dates, but if you don’t have any yet, that is not really a viable option).

Last edited: