Viking Owes Us $14,000

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

GCR

Mar 29, 2020
Last July, my wife and I booked a Pharoahs & Pyramids cruise starting in Cairo on February 24, 2020. The morning of February 22, we called and cancelled due to the escalating Coronavirus situation. Although the customer service rep, Chris, was kind, he said no refund was due since we were within the 30-day cancellation window. "The ship is sailing anyhow, and there are no United States restrictions on travel to Egypt. But you do have TripMate insurance so you can file a claim." Rather disingenuous on his part since of course there is not a "Coronavirus" clause. TripMate denied the claim. If we had gone on the trip, on our last day in Luxor we would have been there when the MS Ansari (another cruise line) was quarantined. Not to mention all the people coming back from Egypt who later tested positive for Coronavirus.

Viking refunded our shore excursions and pre-paid gratuities, leaving us out-of-pocket $14,169.

Since then I have emailed them twice, on March 8 and March 19 asking for a refund. No response. I called Viking Customer Relations on March 19. After a 10-minute wait a message came on-line. "We are not answering phone calls and the voice-mail box is full."

Is this what the Viking experience is all about? Have we no recourse? We would like a refund.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately - if they didn't cancel the cruise, the cancellation policy that was in effect is legally in effect. We have company contacts for Viking on our company contacts page. You can try appealing to them using those contacts, but I am not seeing many suppliers budging from their cancellation policy unless they cancel the tours or cruise.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry you missed what I consider the highlight of my travelling life - Egypt. I would think it's possible to reschedule this trip under the circumstances. Viking may be amenable to issuing a credit for a future cruise. Travel providers are stretched to the limit trying to deal with this corona situation. Things are going to take a long time, a lot of money, and a great deal of effort to get back to normal in the travel business. Viking has valuable crew and staff just waiting to come back to work and I'm confident that they'll be rescheduling cruises as soon as it makes sense. I would compose a polite letter to Viking, very appreciative of their situation and asking them for help. I would get that letter off to Customer Service as soon as possible. It will undoubtedly take them a long time to respond, but if you haven't heard in two weeks, use our Company Contacts to escalate your request. If you want to post a draft, we would be happy to review it.

Jul 13, 2016
Just remember when you write, that you are asking Viking for a big favor. Vouchers are being given for cruises canceled by Viking. You canceled the cruise. Viking owes you nothing, legally. However, given the extraordinary circumstances, asking for a voucher for future travel is reasonable. Asking for a refund is not.

GCR

Mar 29, 2020
And today to my surprise in the mail from TripMate (travel insurance) were vouchers good for one year in the amount of $12,731.52. Can't quite figure out the math but I will take it. I guess it is time to take down this string.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Vouchers for what?
I certainly hope that the vouchers are for a new cruise! Since we paid for our cancelled France cruise ages ago, looking at everything Avalon is offering for 2021 feels like free money. Great news, GCR, well done.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I certainly hope that the vouchers are for a new cruise! Since we paid for our cancelled France cruise ages ago, looking at everything Avalon is offering for 2021 feels like free money. Great news, GCR, well done.
The reason I ask is because its the insurance company that is offering the vouchers, not the travel provider. Hence the reason I asked what the vouchers could be used for. Maybe I am missing something but I thought TripMate was only insurance.