Viking cruises

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Yes, but Neil just mentioned that they offered $1000 cash back. So am I to understand that they offered a full credit PLUS $1000 cash back??
From my reading it's an either or. The offered 100% credit, she wanted a refund, they offered $1000 in cash if she didn't want the credit.

Reactions: VoR61

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Either a full credit for a future cruise OR $1000 in cash. It’s one or the other.

“They are offering a full credit but I am unable to travel and they have offered me $1000 instead. I feel that under the circumstances I should get more ”

Reactions: VoR61 and LeeAnneC
Mar 15, 2018
Either a full credit for a future cruise OR $1000 in cash. It’s one or the other.

“They are offering a full credit but I am unable to travel and they have offered me $1000 instead. I feel that under the circumstances I should get more ”
AHHH! Yep. There it is in black and white. I just missed it. The initial long post was hard to read, what with no paragraph separations. Thanks for pointing that out. So now that I truly understand what they are offering, I will offer my personal thoughts on what the OP should do going forward.

As others have noted, a cruise line offering cash back is extremely rare. If you truly do not wish to cruise again, then I would snap that up. It's likely the best you're going to get. Does it make you whole? Unfortunately no. Clearly you had a very unpleasant trip, which did not at all align with the vacation you felt you were buying. But Viking protects itself too well in its contract of carriage for you to be able to get a full refund, because the fact remains that they met the terms of this (terribly one-sided) contract.

However, I still think it's worth asking them if you could apply that cruise credit to one of their ocean-going vessels. I've brought that up a couple of times, but you haven't responded as to whether that would be something you would consider. I totally understand that you don't want to do another river cruise on Viking - I wouldn't either! But an ocean cruise would likely be a wonderful trip for you that would make up for the horrible one. I hav e no idea if they would go for that - it's possible the two sides of the company operate entirely separately - but you won't know unless you ask.

If that's of no interest to you, then I would agree with Neil - try one more time to get them to up their cash offer by sending in a doctor's note showing that you are unable to travel on a river cruise. If that doesn't work, take the money and run, before too much time passes and they change their minds. :) We've seen that happen - too much back-and-forth and the original offer disappears in the chaos of all the contentious communications.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
A polite reminder:
  • In post #6 she says: "The fact is I have proven I cannot travel". Taken literally, she is emphatically stating that NO cruise will work.
  • Thus, ONLY a refund will work for her
  • She has also informed us that the CEO has said no to a refund
The only practical option I see is if Viking would allow her to transfer (i.e., sell) this credit to someone else . . .

Reactions: jsn55 and LeeAnneC
Mar 15, 2018
A polite reminder:
  • In post #6 she says: "The fact is I have proven I cannot travel". Taken literally, she is emphatically stating that NO cruise will work.
The only practical option I see is if Viking would allow her to transfer (i.e., sell) this credit to someone else . . .
Good point. I was assuming she meant she couldn't tolerate that particular type of travel, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I also had in my mind my personal experience with mobility-challenged people on ocean cruises, knowing that even people who are fully wheelchair-bound are often able to take those, and enjoy them.

But if she really can't travel AT ALL, then even that option is off the table.

I've never heard of a cruise line allowing anyone to sell their credit to someone else. I would think that's even more rare than getting cash back! So I then fall back on "take the money and run", given that the CEO himself has said no to a full refund.

It's a sad story all the way around.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
They're on a "need-to-know" basis and they don't need to know she "sold" it. Given that they have already offered a full credit, I think if she submitted a doctor's note confirming her statement, they may indeed allow the "transfer". Why wouldn't Viking do that? They've nothing to lose . . .

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@VoR61 She took the cruise so they have something to lose.... They already paid out all the expenses on the first cruise. Given how most of these lines operate, they're looking to get her back on board to help generate "on -board revenue" and trying to get her on one she might enjoy...

Reactions: ADM
Mar 15, 2018
They're on a "need-to-know" basis and they don't need to know she "sold" it. Given that they have already offered a full credit, I think if she submitted a doctor's note confirming her statement, they may indeed allow the "transfer". Why wouldn't Viking do that? They've nothing to lose . . .
I'm pretty darn sure that's not even possible. Cruise credits are generally not transferable. It's not something she can just sell...it would be in her name. Just like you can't sell your cruise booking, because it's in your name. (It's possible to change the name of one person in a cabin, but at least one person from the original booking must remain in the cabin or it's considered a complete cancellation, and all penalties would be assessed.)

@VoR61 She took the cruise so they have something to lose.... They already paid out all the expenses on the first cruise. Given how most of these lines operate, they're looking to get her back on board to help generate "on -board revenue" and trying to get her on one she might enjoy...
Bingo. That's why I really think her only option at this point is to take the $1000.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I disagree. Whether she boards the next cruise, or someone else does, the "on board" revenue is in play.

Remember, I'm suggesting a transfer, NOT a refund . . .

Mar 15, 2018
I disagree. Whether she boards the next cruise, or someone else does, the "on board" revenue is in play.

Remember, I'm suggesting a transfer, NOT a refund . . .
It's IN HER NAME. She can't just give it to someone else. Unless she's ON THE CRUISE.

I have only heard of one case in all the years I've been cruising, in which someone was given a cruise credit that was transferrable to someone else, and that was a highly unique situation that would be too complicated to share here.

No, Viking will not allow her to transfer the cruise credit to someone else.

Mar 15, 2018
For clarity, are you both saying that Viking CANNOT allow the transfer?
I'm not saying "cannot", I'm saying they likely "will not". But hey, stranger things have happened. Perhaps that's a question she should send to Viking - if she accepts the 100% credit, can she transfer it to someone else? Maybe I'll be proven wrong! Stranger things have happened. ;)

Mar 15, 2018
Well, case closed here...but then she's stuck with a cruise credit that she has to sell! Where's she gonna sell it? She's a disabled senior citizen...I can't imagine that's a position she wants to be placed in. I know I wouldn't! But I guess we'd need to hear that from her.

Mar 15, 2018
I have a related follow up question: if she accepts the credit, can Viking issue it in another name, as long as she agrees in writing?
Dunno...that would be a question for Viking. Seems like that would be a good option for them - costs them the same (a free cruise), and they get another live body on board to generate on-board revenue. But again, I've never heard of that happening. Cruise credits are generally not transferrable.

But that still assumes she has someone she COULD transfer it to, and that's a huge assumption. Maybe the OP will come back and let us know if she even wants to deal with the possibility of selling this credit. I expect not, but only she can answer that question.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
A polite reminder:
How has she proven that? The only thing that proves it is a doctors note saying that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Agreed. I am focusing on her words "I cannot travel" . . .
Unless she has developed a new condition or her physical condition worsened since she sailed, she has the same issues now she had when she sailed. Viking will ask “ if she traveled with the mobility issues once, why can’t she travel again?”

I think if she got a doctors note that clearly stated she can’t climb stairs, or can only walk say 100 feet at a time, THAT would prove she isn’t physically able to travel. Without that she can’t prove she isn’t in any worse shape than she was when she booked the trip.

I think a drs. note might be the difference in getting an offer higher then $1,000.

Reactions: VoR61