Viking Cruises - not responsive to current Coronavirus warnings

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 29, 2020
My wife and I have a departure date of March 6 for a Mediterranean cruise. Yesterday, Feb 28, the State Dept issued a Level 3 warning about travel to Italy (recommends to not go there - we have 8 days in Italy). Today (Feb 29) the President of the United States recommends NO travel to Italy (China and So Korea).
Viking does NOT have any responses to this news as of today. While the Level 3 warning was just yesterday (Feb 28), I would think Viking would at least say they are concerned and give us an idea of what is going on for our trip. Our return trip in April is scheduled out of Florence (booked on our own) and we really need to know whether to cancel this or make other plans.
Just wishing Viking was more responsive as I'm sure they are aware of the emotional reactions we must all be experiencing.

Feb 29, 2020
They will most likely change ports. I would suggest just watching Vikings site and seeing if they are making changes.
We are watching the Viking site daily and they have not changed anything (as of this date). Their last "News" post was on Feb 10, but new warnings have been issued since then (CDC & State Dept). We will continue to monitor the Viking Site (just wishing they were more proactive).

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
We are watching the Viking site daily and they have not changed anything (as of this date). Their last "News" post was on Feb 10, but new warnings have been issued since then (CDC & State Dept). We will continue to monitor the Viking Site (just wishing they were more proactive).
The cruise industry isn't something that can just magically change everything instantly. They are restricted by what ports there are, whether their ship can fit at the port, travel time between the ports and a host of other logistics when any schedule change happens. Plus every other cruise ship in the area is also trying to change from the same ports to other ports. And that's before you even consider that it's a fluid situation with this virus and the hot area could just as easily switch in the next week.

This really isn't something cruise lines can have an answer for within 24 hours. Not to mention whether the cruiseline will completely rearrange a European cruise based on something issued by the US government. (I'm not up to date on what other countries have Italy as do not travel)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My wife and I have a departure date of March 6 for a Mediterranean cruise. Yesterday, Feb 28, the State Dept issued a Level 3 warning about travel to Italy (recommends to not go there - we have 8 days in Italy). Today (Feb 29) the President of the United States recommends NO travel to Italy (China and So Korea).
Viking does NOT have any responses to this news as of today. While the Level 3 warning was just yesterday (Feb 28), I would think Viking would at least say they are concerned and give us an idea of what is going on for our trip. Our return trip in April is scheduled out of Florence (booked on our own) and we really need to know whether to cancel this or make other plans.
Just wishing Viking was more responsive as I'm sure they are aware of the emotional reactions we must all be experiencing.
Oh, this is terrible, such a short timeline until your departure. Expecting Viking to instantly respond to national news is not realistic. Everyone at every travel provider right now is stretched to the limit and there are thousands of pax involved all over the world At least give them a couple of days to get to you ... they're no doubt dealing with pax who are scheduled to depart in the morning. Beam up Cruise Critic and see what other travellers are experiencing and posting. It's much more productive than waiting in limbo. I don't think that Viking is going to force anyone to travel to a place that is under a warning ... but all the travel providers need to deal with pax and trips in departure date order. I'm so sorry this is happening ... but I'll bet they change things around a little so your trip will still depart ... and safely. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 3, 2018
Just looked up current information. The USA (State Department) is listing Italy in general as level 3 (reconsider travel), with level 4 (do not travel) for the Milan and Venice regions.

Canada is showing level 1 (normal) for most of the country, but 3 (avoid non-essential) to most of the north (though not Florence). UK is pretty similar.

Australia has the north at 3 and the rest at 2 (high degree of caution).

Feb 29, 2020
Viking came through and offered cancellation without penalty (essentially a voucher good for 2 years). So we did cancel and rebooked for next year (and are getting 'full' insurance protection" for that trip). We appreciate that Viking came through.