Viking Cruises continues to send unwanted, unsolicited mailers despite my numerous requests to their customer service to desist.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2020
Viking Cruises continues to kill trees to print junk mailers which they send to people who do not want to receive these unwanted and unsolicited pamphlets.
They use our precious oceans to feed their corporate greed for profits, polluting the waters, and killing whales.
I have sent countless emails to their customer service to remove my information from their lists, to no avail.

Do I need to contact their CEO to get some action?

Jun 24, 2019
There is no "do not mail" list similar to the "do-not-call" registry. Thus, Viking may legally write to you as often as it wishes. One would think Viking's attempts to communicate with you, no matter how unwanted, are protected by the First Amendment.

Viking may be buying lists of people to whom to send brochures. Searching those lists to remove a few people who have expressed a lack of interest is far more expensive than the incremental cost of mailing an unwanted brochure. With some list services, a buyer of the list, such as Viking, never gets access to the list, as a third party does the mailing. For example, Viking may a bought list access from American Express of Amex cardmembers who booked cruises within the last three years and have credit scores above a certain number. American Express does the mailing. It never shares the actual information with its mailing list customer.

I receive mail all the time I do not want. It goes into my recycling bin, or shredded and then into my recycling bin.

Yesterday's mail brought two solicitations addressed to my Father, who died in 1990, two years before we bought our current house. Why anyone thinks that he is (a) still alive, or (b) living here, is anyone's guess. Some of the mail addressed to him is life insurance solicitations or Medicare plan solicitations. If he was alive, he'd be approaching 115, which I do not think is in the target demographic for the sale of new life or health insurance. I devote as few brain cells as I can to wondering why folks are writing to him, and just shredded those two letters.

If you wish to pursue this further, elsewhere on this website you will find contacts at Viking to whom you can address your concerns. Given your views about Viking, expressed above, I can't imagine you will find a sympathetic ear.

May 30, 2019
I don't have contacts for Viking, but this general info may help @hawaiigirl and @SoCalTraveler

There is a service through the Direct Marketing Association and the Association of National Advertisers that reduces unsolicited mail. Here are the links:

General registration for consumers: https://dmachoice.thedma.org/

There is minimal risk to registering to the Do Not Mail files. Noting that:
Cruise lines are crazy mailers. They are lousy at filtering out people unlikely to purchase a cruise. They even send solicitations to customers who already booked. If you can't get a response through email, messaging them on FB or snail mail, it might be worth a bit of shaming on social media, i.e. post a public tweet to them.

Reactions: RLB and jsn55

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I often wish I could put a bin right beside my mailbox into which I could throw all the mail that I don't want. But I'm a good citizen, so I recycle it properly. It is galling to see blatant waste like this. But they don't care. Grand Circle is the only company who ever noted my wishes and took me off their mailing lists. I still get catalogues from companies I purchased one thing from twenty years ago. You'd think they'd notice, but that's not how things are set up. I'm with SoCal, there are far more important things for me to think about; there's no future in railing against things you can't change.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Complaints about Viking and their volume of mailers is nearly legendary. Over on Cruise Critic and Facebook people have complained for years. I’m afraid there seems to be no easy fix for these mailings.
You may just need to let it go....

Reactions: VoR61

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@hawaiigirl I am with you....it is annoying and downright terrible for the environment. The waste those pamphlets bring to our planet is inexcusable. If I wanted to book a trip with Viking, I wouldn't do it off a flyer! Unfortunately, in our town they won't accept those for recycling, only white printed paper.

Reactions: jsn55
Jun 27, 2017
How timely for this to pop up in the forums. Our last cruise on Viking was May 2014. We STILL get weekly postcards, flyers, catalogs, letters, etc. from them despite a multitude of attempts asking them to STOP. Today, we picked up 3 hefty catalogs and into the garbage can they went (minus our personal info). Unfortunately, our little city is no longer recycling paper. It really bothers me that all their stuff ends up in File 13.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
A suggestion for you to "consider"

Save enough mailers (with your address) to fill up a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box -2 (11-7/8 in x 3-3/8 in x 13-5/8 in) and mail them to:

Torstein Hagen​
President and CEO​
5700 Canoga Avenue​
Suite 200​
Woodland Hills, CA 91367​
and mark it as personal . . .​

Include a letter that states the following:

Since multiple contacts with Viking to stop these from reaching my mailbox have failed, I am returning them to you and will continue to do so as long as they continue to be sent. Perhaps you can recycle them, as they were not requested/solicited by me . . .​
These represent the period from xx/xx/xx to yy/yy/yy​
Sincerely,​
Hawaii Girl​

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Save enough mailers (with your address) to fill up a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box -2 (11-7/8 in x 3-3/8 in x 13-5/8 in) and mail them to:

Torstein Hagen​
President and CEO​
5700 Canoga Avenue​
Suite 200​

Since multiple contacts with Viking to stop these from reaching my mailbox have failed, I am returning them to you and will continue to do so as long as they continue to be sent. Perhaps you can recycle them, as they were not requested/solicited by me . . .​
Sincerely,​
Hawaii Girl​
LOVE THIS! Don't moan and complain, get out there and TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS! I'd be just as upset if I were not able to recycle all this stuff. You've made my day AGAIN, VoR!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015

Torstein Hagen​
President and CEO​
5700 Canoga Avenue​
Suite 200​

Sincerely,​
Hawaii Girl​
BRILLIANT!!!

Sep 20, 2018
Fun (Hilarious) Fact, you can get the USPS to force an individual company to cease sending you ads in the mail. You merely need to fill out form PS 1500 stating (without explanation) that you find the material to be "erotically arousing or sexually provocative" (Look at the smooth lines of that boat! Oh My!); and under Supreme Court precedent, this statement is *not* subject to rebuttal, review, or protest by the mailer or USPS.

The Wikipedia Entry on "Prohibitory Order" will tell you all about it.

Feb 3, 2019
Viking doesn’t use anything of that sort in their mailings.
PS Form 1500 states:
Under the Pandering Advertisements Statute, 39 USC 3008, if you are the addressee of an advertisement, and consider the matter (product or service) that it offers for sale to be "erotically arousing or sexually provocative," you can obtain a Prohibitory Order against the mailer.
I would not be at all surprised if, somewhere in the great diversity of humans on this planet, there is in fact someone who finds Viking marketing materials "erotically arousing or sexually provocative."

Regardless, PS Form 1500 does not require one to swear to or affirm its contents, so perjury is not a consideration here.

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
Fun (Hilarious) Fact, you can get the USPS to force an individual company to cease sending you ads in the mail. You merely need to fill out form PS 1500 stating (without explanation) that you find the material to be "erotically arousing or sexually provocative" (Look at the smooth lines of that boat! Oh My!); and under Supreme Court precedent, this statement is *not* subject to rebuttal, review, or protest by the mailer or USPS.

The Wikipedia Entry on "Prohibitory Order" will tell you all about it.
Hilarious indeed! Thanks for the info Sir!

Jun 24, 2019
Another fun fact is that Viking, whose principal business is European river boat cruises, is headquartered in the port city of Woodland Hills, a few miles East of the port city of Calabasas, where AMA is headquartered, and about 20 miles South of the port city of Santa Clarita, where one will find Princess Cruises.

Reactions: Patina and Ginny123

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Another fun fact is that Viking, whose principal business is European river boat cruises, is headquartered in the port city of Woodland Hills, a few miles East of the port city of Calabasas, where AMA is headquartered, and about 20 miles South of the port city of Santa Clarita, where one will find Princess Cruises.
LOL, I used to live in Woodland Hills (conveniently located next door to Granada Hills) and I can assure you there is NO port anywhere near by!

Reactions: Patina
Jun 24, 2019
LOL, I used to live in Woodland Hills (conveniently located next door to Granada Hills) and I can assure you there is NO port anywhere near by!
I actually drive by Viking's headquarters quite frequently. I have also been outside of Princess' headquarters. If Al Gore is correct, in another million years or so Woodland Hills and Santa Clarita will be ports. And I will own beachfront property. (While I live in Los Angeles, which does have a port at sea level, our house is at 1100 feet above sea level.)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
PS Form 1500 states:

I would not be at all surprised if, somewhere in the great diversity of humans on this planet, there is in fact someone who finds Viking marketing materials "erotically arousing or sexually provocative."

Regardless, PS Form 1500 does not require one to swear to or affirm its contents, so perjury is not a consideration here.
Might not be perjury, but it's a lie. Some of us have issues with lies. Doesn't make the idea less funny, tho.

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I actually drive by Viking's headquarters quite frequently. I have also been outside of Princess' headquarters. If Al Gore is correct, in another million years or so Woodland Hills and Santa Clarita will be ports. And I will own beachfront property. (While I live in Los Angeles, which does have a port at sea level, our house is at 1100 feet above sea level.)
And Woodland Hills would have to be renamed Woodless Hills.