Viking Cancellation policy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 29, 2019
Booked a Viking Rhine cruise for June 2019. A few days ago, husband was told not to travel due to health issue. We have insurance thru Trip Insure, HOWEVER, I called and emailed Viking to ask if I could substitute my sister for my husband, and I knew that air fare was not transferable. We had paid in full for our cruise and airfare back in December 2018. Viking response was that my sister could PURCHASE the trip for approx. $4700. So that was out of the question since we had already paid for my husband. So we figured OK.. we cancelled the trip and would submit the doctors note to our trip insure company. Lo and belold.. I get an invoice from VIKING saying , yes you lost your husbands fare and now you owe us a Cancellation PENALTY of $4,700. after they kept the original 100% of his trip.. they tell me that cancelling less than 30 days out is a PENALTY of a full fare. I Think their contract is very misleading, as they said they had a " cancellation FEE SCHEDULE" which was 100% of full fare.
IT DOES NOT IN THEIR BROCHURES SAY "CANCELLATION PENALTY". … we only found out about the additional $4,700 that they said I owed for cancelling after I had already cancelled and they presented an invoice. I assume if I don't pay this invoice they will cancel me off the trip.
I have written supervisors about this because I intend to BLOG and put all over social media if they charge my credit card an additional $4,700. This would mean for my husband NOT going on the cruise he is paying double the amount. I think VIKING is very sneaky and misleads people with the wording on their contract.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You might be misinterpreting what Viking is saying. You need to file an insurance claim to be repaid.

They should not he charging you another $4700- thru should just not be giving you any money back except taxes and you have to file a claim for it.

May 29, 2019
I have filed an insurance claim for with my husbands lost fare with a note from doctor (insurance was not from Viking but from INSURE MY TRIP). So hopefully I will get back my husbands full payment from my insurance company. My insurance company will NOT reinburse penalties that Viking is now charging.
The lastest invoice from VIKING says I owe a $4,700 penalty ON TOP OF MY HUSBANDS FARE, which they are now invoicing me for. So Viking kept 100% of my husbands cruise and are now billing me an additional $4,700 for CANCELLATION PENALTY. or they will cancel my trip in 72 hours if I don't pay.
No one believes this but in their contract this is how it is worded... "In the event of cancellations received by us between 29 and 0 days prior to scheduled departure date, a cancellation fee of 100% of full fare will be paid to us".
so when i read this originally, i figured they would keep my husbands fare, little did i know after i cancelled that I would be billed an additional $4,700 PENALTY for cancelling. I feel the VIKING contract very misleading. Am getting no where with Viking agents.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have never heard of them billing additional money. The penalty is that neither of you get a refund.

Do you have a letter from Viking saying this you can post here (removing your personal info)?

Sep 19, 2015
I have filed an insurance claim for with my husbands lost fare with a note from doctor (insurance was not from Viking but from INSURE MY TRIP). So hopefully I will get back my husbands full payment from my insurance company. My insurance company will NOT reinburse penalties that Viking is now charging.
The lastest invoice from VIKING says I owe a $4,700 penalty ON TOP OF MY HUSBANDS FARE, which they are now invoicing me for. So Viking kept 100% of my husbands cruise and are now billing me an additional $4,700 for CANCELLATION PENALTY. or they will cancel my trip in 72 hours if I don't pay.
No one believes this but in their contract this is how it is worded... "In the event of cancellations received by us between 29 and 0 days prior to scheduled departure date, a cancellation fee of 100% of full fare will be paid to us".
so when i read this originally, i figured they would keep my husbands fare, little did i know after i cancelled that I would be billed an additional $4,700 PENALTY for cancelling. I feel the VIKING contract very misleading. Am getting no where with Viking agents.
Are you sure you are understanding this correctly? The penalty is 100 percent of the fare -- which means you do not get a refund -- if one cancels more than 120 days in advance the cancellation penalty is $100 -- that does not mean that they keep the fare and then charge an extra $100 -- it means that if the fare was $4700 the penalty is $100 and the refund would be $4,600.

With less than 30 days the penalty is 100 percent of the fare -- so no refund. And then the insurance reimburses for cruise and whatever rate the policy covers.

May 29, 2019
OK No one believes me.. they are charging me my husbands full fare for cancelling within 29 days of the cruise , I understand this...he is losing his full payment for cancelling within 29 days.. (I will get this back from my insurance company) . BUT now I have attached an invoice that I received (after i cancelled my husband the other day) and I am being charged another full fare for a PENALTY.. a penalty of 100% of his fare.
(By the way, I am still going myself) here is my original invoice showing I paid for two of us in full... and here is the PENALTY invoice saying I owe them more money.. so basically they are charging me $13,974. for a trip that I am going alone on which should have been $4,900. I have gotten a notice from VIKING accounting department today that says if I don't pay the penalty, they will cancel my portion of the trip within 72 hours. I have attached my paperwork with my name blocked out.. thanks for any help.. has anyone ever heard of this kind of penalty.?

Attachments

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
If she's still sailing they might be charging her a solo supplement. A lot of cruise lines do that when you cancel the second person - take the fare of the second and reprice the remaining as a solo fare. That would make sense why it's the same amount if she added her sister instead. A guess as I'm not familiar with Vikings specific policy.

Some travel insurance pays for that solo supplement, if that's what it turns out to be.

May 29, 2019
"If she's still sailing they might be charging her a solo supplement. A lot of cruise lines do that when you cancel the second person - take the fare of the second and reprice the remaining as a solo fare. "
That may be what they are doing.. charging me a single supplement which is totally ridiculous since I paid for 2 people, but still not sure why my invoice says "cancellation penalty". I will check with my insurance company to see if they will cover my SOLO supplement, I doubt it. But would you ever think a cruise line would charge a single supplement when you paid in full for two people and one is not going due to health reasons?
I cannot recommend Viking Cruises for the blatant hidden costs, misleading contract, if not completely deceiving and fraudulent. Communication is a joke.. I keep getting handed off to other "supervisors' or customer service agents. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Nov 30, 2018
This is hard. I'm sorry for all the trouble you are having. I think JustLisa has it right. They are charging a single supplement since you will be sailing alone in the cabin. How terrible.

You may lose less money by canceling your cruise and applying to your travel insurance.

Apr 3, 2016
If she's still sailing they might be charging her a solo supplement. A lot of cruise lines do that when you cancel the second person - take the fare of the second and reprice the remaining as a solo fare. That would make sense why it's the same amount if she added her sister instead. A guess as I'm not familiar with Vikings specific policy.

Some travel insurance pays for that solo supplement, if that's what it turns out to be.
Yes - The OP seems to still be taking the trip. I also think that Viking is charging her for the single supplement fee, not a cancellation fee (although she is getting charged it because her husband cancelled).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
"If she's still sailing they might be charging her a solo supplement. A lot of cruise lines do that when you cancel the second person - take the fare of the second and reprice the remaining as a solo fare. "
That may be what they are doing.. charging me a single supplement which is totally ridiculous since I paid for 2 people, but still not sure why my invoice says "cancellation penalty". I will check with my insurance company to see if they will cover my SOLO supplement, I doubt it. But would you ever think a cruise line would charge a single supplement when you paid in full for two people and one is not going due to health reasons?
I cannot recommend Viking Cruises for the blatant hidden costs, misleading contract, if not completely deceiving and fraudulent. Communication is a joke.. I keep getting handed off to other "supervisors' or customer service agents. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
That is exactly what they are doing. We didn’t realize you were still going, we thought you canceled as well.

You are going to be reimbursed by the insurance for your husbands fare- so in reality, if you didn’t pay the single supplement, you would be traveling for half the price.

You would have been better off canceling the entire cruise, or having your sister go and pay for herself so you weren’t paying the single supplement yourself.

Reactions: Patina and Nancy
Apr 3, 2016
That is exactly what they are doing. We didn’t realize you were still going, we thought you canceled as well.

You are going to be reimbursed by the insurance for your husbands fare- so in reality, if you didn’t pay the single supplement, you would be traveling for half the price.

You would have been better off canceling the entire cruise, or having your sister go and pay for herself so you weren’t paying the single supplement yourself.
Be careful if you sister goes. If the $ quoted for her fare is discounted because of what you paid for your husband(basically a change of name/new passenger fee/difference in fare now to when you paid), there could be a issue with getting reimbursed from the insurance company. If you get reimbursed for your husband's full fare, you are stating that you paid the money and got nothing for it (no enrichment/got nothing back). If your sister's fare is discounted to just pay some more in addition to what Viking got for your husband's fare, then you got something (enrichment) for your husband's fare. In this case, it could be considered insurance fraud if you get reimbursed for you husband's full fare.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Razilo is correct- your husbands insurance claim would likely not be approved if your sister went and paid as there is no loss to you at that point. The financial piece is being absorbed by your sister.

Aug 29, 2015
Please check your insurance policy to see if they will cover the single supplement. Some will. Gotta add, charging a single supplement on top of the full fare is a nasty trick!

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
She would still loose her husband's fare even if the sister went.

Jan's fare : $4700
Husband fare: $4700

They canceled husband so Viking is keeping 100% of husband's fare. The two options for Jan to continue on the cruise were 1) pay an additional $4700 to have sister be the second person in the cabin as they would not allow a name change or 2) pay an additional $4700 for the single supplement. Either option means Viking is paid a total of $14,100 for a cabin that was booked at $9,400. While in the case of Option 1 Jan wouldn't have paid more money to go on the cruise they certainly still lost husband's fare because he couldn't go. If they allowed a name change this would not be the case, but it seems Viking does not allow that based on Jan's post.

The single supplement when the second guest cancels after 100% penalty has passed is messed up, but seems to be an industry standard. On cruise critic they often suggest the second guest no showing if they canceled without insurance or for an uncovered reason as no showing usually keeps them from repricing the fare of the one still sailing. If it's a covered reason but the policy doesn't cover the single supplement then it's down to the math on which is the better option.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
She would still loose her husband's fare even if the sister went.

Jan's fare : $4700
Husband fare: $4700

They canceled husband so Viking is keeping 100% of husband's fare. The two options for Jan to continue on the cruise were 1) pay an additional $4700 to have sister be the second person in the cabin as they would not allow a name change or 2) pay an additional $4700 for the single supplement. Either option means Viking is paid a total of $14,100 for a cabin that was booked at $9,400. While in the case of Option 1 Jan wouldn't have paid more money to go on the cruise they certainly still lost husband's fare because he couldn't go. If they allowed a name change this would not be the case, but it seems Viking does not allow that based on Jan's post.

The single supplement when the second guest cancels after 100% penalty has passed is messed up, but seems to be an industry standard. On cruise critic they often suggest the second guest no showing if they canceled without insurance or for an uncovered reason as no showing usually keeps them from repricing the fare of the one still sailing. If it's a covered reason but the policy doesn't cover the single supplement then it's down to the math on which is the better option.
She will not be paying $14,000 after putting in the claim for her husbands fare. She will be paying the $9400- the price with the single supplement.

Why do cruise lines do this? Revenue is based on two people in the cabin and they aren’t going to give up that revenue because only one is going.

There are some cruise lines that waive the single supplement on some cruises and you have NCL that has single cabins on many of their ships and doesn’t charge the supplement.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
She will not be paying $14,000 after putting in the claim for her husbands fare. She will be paying the $9400- the price with the single supplement.

Why do cruise lines do this? Revenue is based on two people in the cabin and they aren’t going to give up that revenue because only one is going.

There are some cruise lines that waive the single supplement on some cruises and you have NCL that has single cabins on many of their ships and doesn’t charge the supplement.
My post was regarding those that said if the sister went and they still submitted to insurance it might be considered fraud since they wouldn't lose any money. The sister would have had to pay for her own new fare since Viking would not allow a name change on the husband's fare so Jan and her husband would still have lost his fare that he canceled since they were unable to transfer it to the sister.

I get the reasoning for single supplement & have paid it. I just also agree that it seems messed up when you've already paid the fare for guest 1 & guest 2 and then guest 2 cancels with no money back the cruise line got paid double occupancy rate for that cabin, but it reprices guest 1 with the single supplement so the cruise line gets fare + single supplement from guest 1 plus guest 2's canceled fare all on one cabin (essentially 3 fares). It's why people on cruise critic suggest the canceling guest no show if the canceling is not covered by travel insurance.

Sep 12, 2018

But between her and her insurance company, Viking will receive $14,000 for the cabin, right? Am I missing something?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We need to get the details from our OP. There's no future in speculating on this post when we don't know what her plans are. WHO is going on the cruise???

It goes without saying that Viking should just replace the husband with the sister and everyone would be happy. But I don't think Viking will handle this logically ... they have their rules, their policies, their procedures. Never mind if they make sense or not.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is how all the cruise lines work. She probably could have swapped names before final payment but after final no cruise one allows a mane change.
They do it because they can. It’s in their terms and Viking is tougher to deal with then most.