Verizon is a monopoly and won't improve service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 8, 2019
Verizon Wireless refuses to upgrade service in our area. They are a virtual monopoly and their current unlimited data plans do not work in our area as the signal is so weak that data is unusable.

I have contacted them many times and all they will say is that they are continually improving the network but these improvements never help us.

We are not in the sticks. I can drive 5 miles in any direction and get great signal. Now that they are hawking 5G, I am frustrated at getting 1X and dropped calls at my location. Meanwhile it is impossible to get usable web speeds on their devices. They are a monopoly in my area so it seems like they just don't care to improve.

Apr 8, 2019
Have others in your neighborhood with a different phone experienced this?
All neighbors have these problems. Doesn't matter what kind of phone, inside or outside, it is the same thing. We are in the country but the area is decently populated. There are many areas in Southern Illinois that are much more remote and receive a strong signal.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Mickey, I live a bit north of you. I have T-mobile and get pretty good service, even when traveling around your neck of the woods (i.e. around SIU). Saying that though, there are spots that are better than others, a lot just depends on where the towers are actually located. A lot of the companies will use the same towers, so normally if you have a problem with one, you may have issues with them all. Sometime the phone may be an issue, I've noticed it when I've changed phones.

Reactions: VoR61
Apr 8, 2019
Mickey, I live a bit north of you. I have T-mobile and get pretty good service, even when traveling around your neck of the woods (i.e. around SIU). Saying that though, there are spots that are better than others, a lot just depends on where the towers are actually located. A lot of the companies will use the same towers, so normally if you have a problem with one, you may have issues with them all.
Thanks. T-mobile does not work at all at my place. Verizon sold their landline business to Frontier years ago so they have really abandoned us completely. Frontier has done absolutely nothing to provide us with even their crappy broadband and can barely maintain their landlines. What is most frustrating is that whenever a new winery or wealthy subdivision gets built, coincidentally, towers seem to appear out of thin air.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
All neighbors have these problems. Doesn't matter what kind of phone, inside or outside, it is the same thing. We are in the country but the area is decently populated. There are many areas in Southern Illinois that are much more remote and receive a strong signal.
My daughter lives in the woods in CT and also had this issue with Verizon. She purchased a cell repeater/signal booster for $150 and the problem was solved for her Verizon service. The repeaters work only on one network so when we visit her we have poor service with our ATT phones.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/products/signal-boosters/

All cell companies have holes in their networks. You may also want to poll your friends who have ATT or T-Mobile and see if their phones work at your home location. If their phones work it is simple to change cell providers.

BTW Verizon is NOT a monopoly. They have plenty of competition.

Apr 8, 2019
My daughter lives in the woods in CT and also had this issue with Verizon. She purchased a cell repeater/signal booster for $150 and the problem was solved for her Verizon service. The repeaters work only on one network so when we visit her we have poor service with our ATT phones.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/products/signal-boosters/

All cell companies have holes in their networks. You may also want to poll your friends who have ATT or T-Mobile and see if their phones work at your home location. If their phones work it is simple to change cell providers.

BTW Verizon is NOT a monopoly. They have plenty of competition.
Verizon IS a monopoly in my location. That is a fact that has been established by visitors who have any other carrier. As far as a signal extender, they need broadband. My broadband is the Verizon Home Fusion which is an antenna type device that tries to pull in a 4G signal. My last speed test was 1.45 Mbps down and 585 kbps up. This is with the cantenna device as my WiFi. Without it, the phone does not have usable internet functionality.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Thanks. T-mobile does not work at all at my place. Verizon sold their landline business to Frontier years ago so they have really abandoned us completely. Frontier has done absolutely nothing to provide us with even their crappy broadband and can barely maintain their landlines. What is most frustrating is that whenever a new winery or wealthy subdivision gets built, coincidentally, towers seem to appear out of thin air.
Unfortunately, there are areas in the country that doesn't have or has limited cell service, mostly because it is probably not economical for the company to invest in upgrading and maintaining the infrastructure needed to provide it. As for the new winery or subdivisions, the developers may be either paying for the upgrades or providing some type of guarantee that usage will generate enough revenue to support it.

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to require a company to provide a service if they don't feel it is economically feasible, and as far as I know, there is no government regulation that requires them to do so.

Reactions: Neil Maley

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
If Verizon is the only one that has bothered to even attempt to provide service (bad as it is), shouldn't you also be upset with the other providers that haven't bothered?

Apr 8, 2019
Well yeah, I am disappointed that other providers don't provide service but I'm also not paying them. These other providers also do not have their man installed as head of the FCC.

My initial interaction with Verizon's executive team resulted in them saying that they know that the quality of my service has declined due to network congestion and that furthermore, they were not going to do anything about it. This did not sound like a good faith effort in my book. I asked if they would be happy with this if they were me and they really had no answer.

Using information found on this site, I described this interaction in an email to the corporate contacts and was almost immediately contacted by Executive Relations and they are now telling me that they have a new solution for users like me and asking if I would participate in a trial program. We will see how that goes but this is the most progress I have seen in years.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I have a network extender which gives great reception at home although it wouldn't help at home and also it seems like your home internet isn't suitable for such a solution. I'd be interested to know what they propose.